Ashura's Texture Practice

Heyya everyone , I recently started trieing to spend atleast a hour a day working with substance designer to improve my texturing skills

anyway I thought that some of you guys might have requests for textures that I could probably take up here

it doesn't matter wether the textures are needed for jedi academy or something else or just random suggestions for things I could try

here's the product of yesterday evening :

FQcmfAI.png

• 2 weeks later...

Since my new Graphics Tablet arrived I just had to do some stylised texturing, enjoy my handpainted 256x256 Wood texture !

I also changed the title, as this was not done entirely using substance designer (only used for the render and to process my painted Height map into a normal map)

9lMlEwp.png

click the image to see all texture maps

• 2 weeks later...

I use Bamboo, though I would like to have a more powerful tablet. It works differently for Mac and PC, so I am still undecided what to do. =) But it helps creating textures and pictures nonetheless.

Do you use Corel Draw or Photoshop? Or maybe something else?

I really like the clean look of the wooden texture.

I use Bamboo, though I would like to have a more powerful tablet. It works differently for Mac and PC, so I am still undecided what to do. =) But it helps creating textures and pictures nonetheless.

Do you use Corel Draw or Photoshop? Or maybe something else?

I really like the clean look of the wooden texture.

My tablet : http://www.amazon.com/Huion-H610-Graphics-Drawing-Tablet/dp/B00GIGGS6A

I'm painting in photoshop btw

NumberWan likes this
  • 1 month later...

wooooow been a while since the last post but here comes another one :
kgIotB3l.png
based at one of @zeƒilus concepts

Texture breakdown (25% of original Resolution):
6XAEJbO.png
I'm starting to like Substance Painter a LOT.

Also : don't ask me to convert this for Jedi Academy - it's not exactly easy to convert PBR oriented textures to a legacy diffuse/normal/specular system
it's possible to do it quick and crappy but doing it good takes some time

EDIT : found a way to convert them quickly with some substance designer experimentation :D

4RODwvZl.png

Once again I decided to model a hilt @@Rooxon is modeling aswell - but my version is built for practice and therefor will never make its way into JKA - it's just below 12k tris

EFF9zuwh.png

still WIP, the textures are currently just a bunch of colors combined with my bakes and a bit of noise for the roguhness to break up the highlights a little

now it's time to take this thing into substance painter to add dirt, scratches and a bit of color variation for the materials

Maybe you could post rend2 screenshots of things you make - curious how that brick wall would look :)

Good work!

hmmm - difficult

first : I'm not a mapper but that is the lesser of 2 problems here...

second : this was once again made using a pbr workflow - so it won't translate well to legacy systems (even though I could run it through the substance file I create to convert PBR textures to Jedi Academys old renderer - but i'd have to alter that a little to work for map textures...)

EDIT :

I quickly adapted my PBR2JKA substance for map textures

and this is the result I got after pushing the brick material through :

6zn4tdm.png?1

this is what it could potentially look like

Boothand and DarthValeria like this