Project Updates

DT85

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

upon starting opendf2_sp.x86 with all the correct files from dropbox in place i get this error: "The program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I assume this is beacuse my windows is x32?

upon starting opendf2_sp.x86 with all the correct files from dropbox in place i get this error: "The program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I assume this is beacuse my windows is x32?

You need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, 2015, I think.

Username likes this

mkay. since my windows is x32 the package i'm looking for is "vc_redist.x64.exe" instead of "vc_redist.x86.exe" right? I'll give it a try and say how it goes.

EDIT: i'm ignorant, these packages are not meant to support my system (be it 32 or 64) they're meant for the application, so x86 is the way to go

Where we once had a complete first level it seems now with the engine changes the map needs a reworking to take advantage of the new render engine.

The structure and scripting are done. It just needs tweaks to health, ammo and armor drops. HOWEVER I will be redoing it for GL2 at some point. Just waiting for PBR to be 100% ready to go. In the meantime, I'll be learning substance and finishing redoing the menus with the cool new font I found. :)

XP?!

Why in the world would anybody be running such an old OS?

Should we also really be keeping the mod so open for anyone to download at this point? Next thing you know stuff from our mod will end up in someones big mega pack or 50 something page WIP thread with no credit towards it's creators?

Installation for Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 got stuck at the end in "Windows7_MSU_x86". Googled about the problem, it happened because there were security updates from Windows Updates i hadn't installed yet (Last update i did was back in 2013 lol), so i went in and downloaded windows updates but then another problem came up: The progress bar wouldn't pass 0%. Googled about the problem, all i had to do was disable "Windows Update" service through services.msc, delete all contents in a folder called SoftwareDistribution, then enable the win updates service and it would be good to go. But then (guess what?) another problem: My win update service wouldn't stop for some reason and would be stuck at "stopping" procedure. Googled about it and found a workaround - so i did that but my win update still wouldnt download the updates. So i can't Install Microsoft visucal c++ redistributable 2015 package and thus couldn't play the mod.

Buuut!

Ah shit I think it's the xp error again. I keep forgetting to compile for it. I'll update the files soon.

Then you said this, and so i went to the dropbox page full of hopes n' drems aaand you removed the files :(

]Should we also really be keeping the mod so open for anyone to download at this point? Next thing you know stuff from our mod will end up in someones big mega pack or 50 something page WIP thread with no credit towards it's creators?

On the flipside having something tangible to share could possibly drum up some more interest. Two sides of a coin I guess.

@@Teancum Well given the render engine changes which I'm sure has caused that to be pushed back some we were going to release a 2 level demo which we have the first 2 levels done (I think I remember him saying level 2 was about done) so that should grab some interest. Especially with the visual updates.

I guess, I will make some videos, when I'm ready with the IBL implementation. Maybe even share it on other sites, to attract more people. I'm pretty sure, there will be some interrest. Maybe even help with some texturing and optimizing the maps for the new renderer.

I guess, I will make some videos, when I'm ready with the IBL implementation. Maybe even share it on other sites, to attract more people. I'm pretty sure, there will be some interrest. Maybe even help with some texturing and optimizing the maps for the new renderer.

I think that's a good idea...

First let me ask @@DT85 this question:  What are all of the new features (in regards to mapping/environment/rendering, models, gameplay, etc.) that will be showcased by the DF2 mod?  Make an advertisement list...

What I recommend is creating a small environment that showcases all mapping/rendering features... and videos that showcase modeling/rendering enhancements... that bring this game up to this decade's standards.

Perhaps you could get szico or jedi_mediator to make your small showcase map... what's the coolest room in the DF2 game with the coolest architecture?  (Since you need this room for the map anyways...) maybe jedi_mediator would be willing to push the envelope and create it?  Then seeing side-by-side images of the original game... in comparison with the overhauled game, just might attract the attention of outside mappers (who love Star Wars) and perhaps agree to build some maps?  Shameless advertising?  Worth a shot... but you'd have to post it out there somewhere to attract new mappers.

Think outside the box... maybe showcase (open call for mappers) on these sites? 

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/index.php

https://www.artstation.com

https://www.gamedev.net/forum/6-your-announcements/

https://www.reddit.com/r/leveldesign/

Here's a good site for level design theory:

http://level-design.org/?page_id=638

^Yeah, I mentioned some time ago that we should probably post off site some ads to try to attract some mappers. If we were to showcase something it might have to be something small.

@@Ramikad had an awesome shot of the Sulon Star docked on the surface of Ruusan. Even without the new render engine it was quite a nice shot.

I bet there is someone here that would be more than excited to do the job. Someone who may not be able to lend a hand with much technical stuff but want's to be part of the mod to where they'd jump on the opportunity.

Would be nice (but not necessary) if that "someone" had website skills... I'm sure if you asked in the forum you'd get many volunteers.