Frankensteining with blender.

Jolly
Go to solution Solved by Artemis,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

15 days later and still silence lol

I am no expert but seems you have left-over parts from another model. Try zooming out and rotating and see of there are parts floating around. Also look at the hierarchy structure for unassigned parts. Normally you should have 

scene

|- scene_root

|-- model_root_0

|-- skeleton_root

If you have more than that, then you have left over or unassigned parts.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to Frankenstein a chiss head onto a Shadowtrooper body, following the instructions on the first page of this thread, but I'm having some problems in Blender. I imported the Shadowtrooper model and moved the head parts to a different layer, then I imported the Chiss model to yet another layer, then moved the Chiss head parts to the Shadowtrooper body layer. But it looks like my hierarchy is all jacked up.

blender-shot_zpsvtoavndx.jpg

Plus the collar area of the two models doesn't seem to line up correctly, you can see some white space and overlapping. Can I fix that by simply lining up the verts of the Chiss neck and Shadowtrooper collar?

@@DarthStevenus When you replaced the shadowtrooper's head with the chiss one, you need to parent the chiss parts to the shadowtrooper and make sure the head is head_0 etc, not head_0.001, which you might have already done.  Then all of the loose pieces you see in the hierarchy need to be parented to the new head pieces.  By default, they're probably still parented to the old head.  And yeah, you can usually move the verts of the head or torso around until they line up, but you might also need to adjust the weights sometimes.

I actually went ahead and put the chiss head on the shadowtrooper and tried to fix it up, if you'd like to compare it with yours or whatever: https://www.dropbox.com/s/712xfczdoqymifp/zzzchisstrooper.pk3?dl=0

There were a few snags, so just a fair warning if you want to go ahead with yours.  The torso_accessories_1 had a couple of loose verts that had to be deleted before export, and I deleted LOD2 and 3 because there was a rather large gap between the torso and neck that I didn't feel like dealing with.  I did match up the verts between the torso and neck, and I had to adjust the weighting so the meshes didn't pull apart during some animations.  Lastly, I just kinda scaled the caps so they weren't sticking through the neck, so they might not look great with dismemberment turned on.

I've been considering actually writing a legit, pictures-included tutorial for frankensteining/general player modelling stuff in Blender since people are still getting pointed to this thread and my sketchy explanations. :/

I've been considering actually writing a legit, pictures-included tutorial for frankensteining/general player modelling stuff in Blender since people are still getting pointed to this thread and my sketchy explanations. :/

That will be awesome. Could you also please include matching the verts and weighting? I also have problems with the neck on this model I put together and it could help a lot.

2lscllw.jpg