Modeling Problems

Go to solution Solved by minilogoguy18,

Hello. I have recently re-installed JKA from taking a long break I guess, lol.

I have done various modding from re-skins, mapping, scripting, and custom .md3 models,

but I never got a custom player model in game for myself.

I wish to use the modeling program XSI Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 rather then getting 3DS MAX.

I have been mainly following this tutorial by minilogoguy18:

I have thoroughly followed the steps and have the segments of the model animated and such.

The problem I am having right now is that when I try to compile with carcass.exe I get an error:

I have not tried to apply any LODs of any sort in this model. I'm not sure if when I was segmenting the model it thought it was and LOD or something.

I had to chop the hands into like 6 segments so that it would not go over 500 triangles in any of the particular segments, but I did make sure that each segment was parented properly... at least I think!

I am very sorry if what I am asking is too hard to answer exactly, but any help would be wonderful!

Basically I wish to make a playermodel in XSI Mod Tools version 7.5, and I have been running into errors left and right.

If someone could point me in the right direction or just help me in this very thread, that would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advanced!  :)

Anything that has _1 , _2 , etc at the end of its name are treated as LODs. I'd suggest renaming from _1, _2, etc to _a, _b, etc so carcass will treat them as part of the same LOD. :)

Thank you very much! Now that I have over come that problem I have ran into yet another...:

http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/knucklehead771/media/carcasserror2.png.html

I'm not quite sure what is happening here. After I re-named my segments and placed the hierarchy in the correct spots, carcass just crashes at the point where it is writing the .glm...

When I was segmenting my model, I was sure that all the segments were under 500 triangles.

Have you ever have this happen before?

Try using carcass 2.2

I tried 2.2, instead of crashing it just sits at the line where it says "Generating model.glm ... ( scale: 0.64)"

I left it there for a reasonable amount of time, but nothing changes. After I close the carcass window, assimilate gives that same kind of "Process returned error: -1073741510" thing.

Would it be because I cant export the .xsi with textures?? When ever I have the Textures box checked in the export window, I get an error window saying "Function not implemented in Mod Tool version"

I'm still iffy on the export options I use. Do you know the proper export options to use?

The "Function not implemented in Mod Tool version" is an odd error, the program for some reason wont let you export a model that uses polygons with more than 3 sides, so just select all parts of your model, select Model>Modify>Poly Mesh>Triangulate to convert everything into triangles. Then just click on "Freeze M" with all parts still selected to remove the triangulate operator.

Sorry the final video isn't complete, life has prevented me from doing anything on my PC at all lately.

I can assure you, you can export any player model, player animation or NPC character/animation from Mod Tool and it'll work perfectly, the developers used Softimage when making this game. The only "trick" to using Mod Tool (it's the free version of Softimage) is that you must triangulate models when using the dotXSI exporter or you'll get that error.

The "Function not implemented in Mod Tool version" is an odd error, the program for some reason wont let you export a model that uses polygons with more than 3 sides, so just select all parts of your model, select Model>Modify>Poly Mesh>Triangulate to convert everything into triangles. Then just click on "Freeze M" with all parts still selected to remove the triangulate operator.

Sorry the final video isn't complete, life has prevented me from doing anything on my PC at all lately.

I can assure you, you can export any player model, player animation or NPC character/animation from Mod Tool and it'll work perfectly, the developers used Softimage when making this game. The only "trick" to using Mod Tool (it's the free version of Softimage) is that you must triangulate models when using the dotXSI exporter or you'll get that error.

Thank you for this information, it will most certainly help me!

No worries about the final video man! This kind of stuff takes a lot of time outta the day for anyone. Its cool that you would help me through the forms.

I hope I'm not being any trouble to you or anyone else with these constant questions I'm throwing out here!

Would my export options for a model be the same as yours in your custom animation tutorial? What should they be if not?

What settings for assimilate should I use? (Like the check box for "Makes it's own skeleton" and what not)

I'm still getting that "Function not implemented" error with Triangulated polys... I tried it with my current project and the I even tried importing a random .obj with a texture and tried exporting that with triangulated polys and it still did not work!  :huh:

• Solution

@@knucklehead77

6CgByyp.png

Those should be your export options, you probably have "triangles" selected as polygon type when that is the function that isn't implemented, the automatic triangulation on export hence why you have to do it manually. You don't need animations to be checked.

I had this image in the tutorial where the videos are posted on this site, I'll put this image back in there.

DT. likes this

@@knucklehead77

6CgByyp.png

Those should be your export options, you probably have "triangles" selected as polygon type when that is the function that isn't implemented, the automatic triangulation on export hence why you have to do it manually. You don't need animations to be checked.

I had this image in the tutorial where the videos are posted on this site, I'll put this image back in there.

THAT WORKED HAHA!

Thank you so much man. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking time out of your busy life to tell me how to do this!

In-fact, thank you to all of you who posted in this thread that helped me with my problem!  :D

DT. likes this