Best of the best lightning setup for mapping.

Guest KENNITHH

External lightmap shaders only ever worked on patches for me - used on brushes it causes weird funky effects.

If there's particular areas you want to improve the shadows, you can improve in several ways depending on lighting and structure.

1) Use q3map_sunExt for your sun shader, this allows you to define the penumbra and level of blurring applied to shadow edges

2) func_group and THEN use _lightmapscale on the func_group to improve quality without applying to the whole map

3) samples 3 in light compile stage

4) the -dirty switch on light stage will darken shadowed areas compared to lit areas. You could also try -gamma and a value

Wouldnt bother with the surfaceradius and other sun fixes for q3map_sun, because q3map_sunext does all of these but better.

DT. and Archangel35757 like this
Guest KENNITHH

Not sure if you saw the settings I used in the spoiler on the previous page Master @@Szico VII.

I do have most of those settings you mentioned, only lightmapscale on the complete map as I THINK i'll have more quality.

And for the samples, I used 8 to exaggerate because it says 2 is good, 3 is great so 8 must be awesome :P

But yesterday I also bumped on a thread where Obsidian said you don't really need lightmapfilterradius (which is the surfaceradius you mentioned?) if you have a value higher then 4 for the iterations on q3map_skylight. Maybe this is giving me too much blurred shadows.

Guest KENNITHH

Well @@DT85, I only know SoF2 only uses vertex light for models, never lightmap and I think they come out kinda nice I guess

they use this shader for that

models/xxx/xxx
{
q3map_material xxx
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
    {
        map models/xxx/xxx
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
}

Not sure if you saw the settings I used in the spoiler on the previous page Master @@Szico VII.

I do have most of those settings you mentioned, only lightmapscale on the complete map as I THINK i'll have more quality.

And for the samples, I used 8 to exaggerate because it says 2 is good, 3 is great so 8 must be awesome :P

But yesterday I also bumped on a thread where Obsidian said you don't really need lightmapfilterradius (which is the surfaceradius you mentioned?) if you have a value higher then 4 for the iterations on q3map_skylight. Maybe this is giving me too much blurred shadows.

-samples 8 is a bad idea, it will make you quickly run into lightmap bug of death, especially with a global _lightmapscale

Importantly, neither of these will improve the contrast of your shadows. Only changing the lighting itself or using -dirty or -gamma x will achieve that.