Best of the best lightning setup for mapping.

Guest KENNITHH

Guest KENNITHH

As some of you might know, I'm a freak when it comes to quality and details but it's becoming worse and worse. The thing I wish to be better is the lightning, as most of the maps I see, have terrible shadows and lightning. Even my own eventhough I do my best reading and testing :P

Now the main reason I started this topic is because I would like to discuss with you how to get the perfect lightning in SOF2 but also JKA/JK2 by the use of a sky-shader combined with q3map2 settings.

I know this is the best place to ask/discuss because there are so many talented people around here and I'm possitive the end result of this topic will be spectacular.

What my idea is of realism and quality: very clear, crisp light, shadows that ain't blocky

Some examples what I'm aiming towards but I know I can't get exactle the same thing.

WARNING: 9 (large) images of MGSV, DragonAge, AC and Skyrim

1371020725_metal-gear-solid-v-the-phanto

dragon_age_inquisition_01.jpg

dragon-age-2jpg-0a577f_960w.jpg

scrshot5.jpg

Assassins-Creed-Unity.jpg

enb201225108.jpg

1589086-1361176145.jpg

enb20122521049.jpg

3174849-1342972194.jpg

Guest KENNITHH

Man I feel embarrased, I've been using it wrong my entire life , thanks for clearing that up @@hleV.

Now back to the topic, I've been doing some tests for the last 4 hours, my current result looks quiet neat, just the shadows have to get fixed.

Settings and screenshots in the spoiler:
PS: I'm also using QEffectsPro

Screenshots:

39ff09a958.jpg

582d71448a.jpg

d71af71e96.jpg

The shader:

textures/ziba/ziba
{
qer_editorimage textures/tools/editor_images/qer_sky
q3map_sunExt 0.921569 0.878431 0.796078 450 150 20 3 16
q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 64   
q3map_skyLight 325 3
q3map_backsplash 0 0

q3map_noFog

surfaceparm sky
surfaceparm noimpact
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nodlight

skyparms textures/ziba/ziba - -

nopicmip
nomipmaps
}

The Spawnflags:
_lightmapscale 0.50
ambient 50

The compile options:
-meta
-vis -saveprt
-light -dirty -dirtscale 3 -dirtdepth 32 -fast -filter -patchshadows -bounce 3 -bouncescale 3 -samplesize 4 -samples 8

Guest KENNITHH

The ceilings look kind of overly lit, from these screenshots, primarily the two first ones. I wouldn't expect bounce light to be that strong. Where is the light source(s) in screenshot #3?

Guess you're right about that, maybe the ambient light is too high cause there is no light entity, only the sun as this map is still in early phase.

But I kinda like the brightness outside but it should even be more bright imo

this is the original map btw, I made it from scratch, something similar lighting would be nice

cdf34e62ee.jpg

Guest KENNITHH

I vaguely remember seeing some tutorial somewhere years and years ago where you could open up a compiled lightmap, in Photoshop or something, and you could actually go in and manually smooth out the shadows that way. Am I crazy? Because that sounds crazy.

You ain't crazy: http://sgq3-mapping.blogspot.be/2009/01/using-hi-resolution-external-lightmap.html

But I think there are easier ways of getting awesome lighting and shadows

I know when I ran into my Max_Shader_Errors I had to reduce the quality of my light in my map by a bit. Now, I also learned that you can increase the quality of the shadows by using a _lightmapscale of less than 1.  like .5 or something. I'm not sure if works in conjunction with ambient light, though.

This is the hardest part of making something I think. I've got some rooms that came out great and some I'm not content with regardless of the changes. Maybe it has to do with the architecture and whatnot in each specific location. 

I'll post this here rather than post a new topic:

Is there a way to reduce the "stair" effect on shadows?

2wr3n1e.png

My compile line for lighting: [light] -lightmapsize 2048 -fast -samples 3 -cpma -samplesize 1 -patchshadows -shade -v "[MapFile]" Adding -bounce 8 or upping the -lightmapsize changes nothing. Any ideas from the pros?

Guest KENNITHH
@@DT85 this is what helps me for getting smooth shadows

it's still not 100% what I'm looking for though but its getting closer and closer

in the skyshader

q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 64

q3map_skyLight 60 6

but I think it might be better for a bit lower filterradius like 32 or soemthing

Guest KENNITHH

So once again I tried some different settings (slightly different) and its already getting better again, no use of Qeffects this time :D

Any ideas on how to get the walls even more bright? But keeping the shadows dark?

e4ce423acd.jpg

More info here:

dc9589c012.jpg

2dd2c66ce4.jpg

Shader:

textures/ziba/ziba

{
skyparms textures/ziba/ziba - -

q3map_sunExt  0.921569 0.878431 0.796078 450 150 20 3 16
q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 32
q3map_skyLight 600 6

surfaceparm sky
surfaceparm noimpact
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm nodlight

nopicmip
nomipmaps

qer_editorimage textures/tools/editor_images/qer_sky
}

Worldspawn:
"_lightmapscale" "0.125"
Removed the ambient light as it doesn't seem to need it anymore

Compile:
-meta
-vis -saveprt
-light -dirty -dirtscale 3 -dirtdepth 32 -fast -filter -patchshadows -bounce 3 -bouncescale 3 -samplesize 4 -samples 8

Guest KENNITHH

Anyone has an example of a normal wall shader with a specular phase?

I never used/saw one , only for models.

Scratch that, it kinda worked. I'm happy with the light now , even though it might be still a liiiiiiiiiiitle bit brighter but then the walls that have shadows become too bright.

But the shadows seem to be bad on some places like jagged or not detailed enough.

Btw, any idea why when I use lightmapsize on the compile, it doesnt create a shader? I'm using q3map Gui

3014992c67.jpg

Guest KENNITHH

My god this is stressful, I've created a small map similar to http://victorkarp.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/sunfilter_6_16.jpg?w=300&h=225 but 8 times with 8 different skyboxes. I change every setting of them before I compile and then test ingame.

But still, I can't get faded, sharp shadows -_-. Only possible way is a bigger lightmapsize I assume then?

Sickens me that irl I'm constantly looking at shadows  :lol:

Btw, any idea why when I use lightmapscale on the compile, it doesnt create a shader? I'm using q3map Gui

Why would it create a shader? Using lightmapscale only affects the resolution of the lightmap - once the lightmap is written to the .bsp file, there's nothing the game can do to change it.

You also need to be aware that using a global setting for lightmapscale will restrict the available lightmap space for the whole map. Setting it to 0.125 for example will effectively give you 8 times less space because you're scaling it up by 8 (1 / 0.125 = 8).