Old Droid (Ord Mantell)

NumberWan

Hello everyone!

You might have read the latest news already, that we've added another character to Dark Pastime - the old droid. 

droids2_zps5369eb9d.png

It's a droid model from the Old Republic times, created by an unknown manufacturer (most likely bankrupt) about 50 years before the events of Dark Pastime. Someone acquired a large set of these machines to guard the abandoned factory and the nearby areas on Ord Mantell.

In game these droids will be the primary enemies during Mission 2, Ord Mantell. They come in several classes depending on their tasks - miners, collectors and administrators. While some can use blasters for instance, others are capable of taking more advanced weapons and using computer terminals to give orders to other units.

It is not known, why the area is so well guarded, but the droids are on alert, when Kyle Katarn appears near the factory.

shot0039.jpg

Hello everyone!

You might have read the latest news already, that we've added another character to Dark Pastime - the old droid. 

droids2_zps5369eb9d.png

It's a droid model from the Old Republic times, created by an unknown manufacturer (most likely bankrupt) about 50 years before the events of Dark Pastime. Someone acquired a large set of these machines to guard the abandoned factory and the nearby areas on Ord Mantell.

In game these droids will be the primary enemies during Mission 2, Ord Mantell. They come in several classes depending on their tasks - miners, collectors and administrators. While some can use blasters for instance, others are capable of taking more advanced weapons and using computer terminals to give orders to other units.

It is not known, why the area is so well guarded, but the droids are on alert, when Kyle Katarn appears near the factory.

shot0039.jpg

Though cool I feel the droids could use more details on them, they just lack any kind of realistic detail, kinda hard to explain. They look like they belong in Futurama if that helps :P they could use a bit more detail to look more realistic, other than that looking good ^.^

Thanks for your comments!

I agree, that the droid is somehow simple compared to other machines seen in Star Wars. But actually that's the point: you encounter these droids on Ord mantell at old junkyard. It is not possible to see a shine battle unit there, and a professional assassin droid, all polished and new, is also a rare image on this planet, and especially in this place.

The droids might have had additional elements on their body, like switchable hands, additional relays, plates, etc. But the droids are old, most of their parts are gone and no longer can be replaced. 

I mentioned an unknown owner - this person found a stock of these droids to guard his property - the old factory on Ord Mantell. He doesn't think about repainting them or upgrading them in any way. He uses what was left by manufacturer (or anyone else), who was dissatisfied with their service in the years prior to the Clone Wars.

But that's from the point of the plot.

The other reason, why the model looks the way it is - these droids appear for the most part only once in the whole mod. They are seen later too, but no longer in the same way as on Ord Mantell. Creating a mode advanced model of such a character - which has a small part in the plot - seemed to be out of place a bit :)

Jeff likes this

@@Jeff

The droids came just of nowhere. I wanted an old and a bit creepy character, not that of a shiny marble in any way at all. Even old protocol droids should look more polished and shiny than these ones. When I had some ideas, I would look into the enemy droids we see in SWTOR, particularly the ancient droids on Tython. But their design looked too smooth. Accidentally our variant looked more like certain Old Sith Empire battle droids, especially the vizors. So I went away from those images, adding other colors and different vizors.

The comic effect, as noticed by @@Jolly, wasn't the purpose from the beginning. But when I made a 3D model and later Olgo moved it into the game - I thought, that it was just what we needed. Most charactera are either too serious, or too good-looking, so I wanted to add a crude NPC, which would be far from the exquisite design of Coruscant as well as from elegant details of other planets like Anarmar of Uffel.

However I would like to add these droids to later levels, though they are most likely not our enemies in those missions, but rather NPCs in the background.

It was decided several years ago, probably in 2007 that the main enemy Ord mantell would be the 4LOM machines - kindly provided by Oddjob many years prior to the JK community. But I wanted something fresh and only in the end, this episode was changed. We still added his name to the Thanks list in the end of our mod.

I also thought, whether the droid would glimpse anything familiar, and I am glad, that @@Mandalorian mentioned AT-AT (which btw is present in our mod as well). 

Jolly likes this

@@Omicron

It's difficult to compare these droids to the two variants, you've described. In comparison to other enemies in our mod, these are relatively easy targets, not capable of complex tasks. In any case we are limited to what Jedi Academy engine allows to do.

AS for the zombie-like creatures - there are actually certain NPCs on later levels, which are close to this description, as well as their behaviour.

Omicron and Mandalorian like this