Carcass.exe Bone Jitter

Go to solution Solved by Archangel35757,

@@DT85, @@minilogoguy18, @@Xycaleth, @@eezstreet:  Let's move the discussion from DT's status thread to this thread if that's ok with everyone...  I just looked at the Luke model with the default _humanoid.gla (looping the BOTH_WIND animation) and when you zoom in and play the animation slow... the bone jitter becomes quite evident. 

It's more prevelant at the end of bone chains (i.e., the fingers) which makes sense, since the errors would accumulate down the hierarchy... the other name that Gummelt dropped to me was Gil Gribb (the main programmer behind Ghoul2 according to Gummelt) who now works at epic games.  I wrote him and he replied (cc'ing Gummelt) as follows:

I would hope that someone at raven could find you the carcass code (like maybe on a VisualSourceSafe server or a backup thereof). It wouldn’t be particularly secret or proprietary.

I don’t remember much honestly. If you could get the code and ask questions about pasted parts of the code...well I might be able to help.

-Gil

I noticed that "BOTH_WIND" is a version dotXSI 3.5 file... @@DT85, can you find a good example of this jitter in a 3.0 file?  I'd like to verify that this jitter is not present in the officially released dotXSI animation assets.

As an aside... it also appears to be present in the SoF2 GLA (when viewed in ModView-- looking at the "pistolstandaim01" animation).

I dunno, I just looked at the walk cycle of the AT-RT and there is no jitter in the toes, it was exported as a dotXSI 3.5 file from Softimage 2013.

Also don't see anything wrong with the BOTH_STAFF_RUN that I replaced that is seen in the video tutorial I made on the rig, this animation was exported as a dotXSI 3.5 file from Mod Tool 7.5.

I never use dotXSI 3.0, there is no reason to.

@@minilogoguy18-- Are you talking about looking at your XSI file in Softimage?  Or are you looking at your resulting AT-RT.gla file in ModView?  You have to zoom way-in and slow the animation down to see it.

@@DT85 -- Well, I just imported BOTH_WIND.xsi into 3ds Max 8 and I can't see the jitter in the left hand bones that I saw when viewing it in ModView-- :huh: could this be just a looping bias issue internal to ModView (i.e., are we chasing a ModView Ghost)?  Or has this been confirmed inside of the game-engine?

Seen it in Noesis, Modview & ingame. It's just the way carcass compresses the animations methinks. What ever Rich did for Noesis produces next-to-no jitter.

Would you be willing to make a video that clearly shows this carcass jitter issue best-- so that we can send it to Mike Gummelt to pass on to Ste Cork and James Monroe?

Maybe that would motivate them to dig up the source code...

The source to the G2 format is available so anybody can write a converter from scratch, like I did with the Blender exporter.

The jitter is inherent in the file format since bone transformations are stored fairly compressed, as a position with a precision of 1/64 unit and a rotation as a quaternion with 16-bit fixed point components (with a precision of 1/16383).

@@DT85, @@minilogoguy18, @@Xycaleth, @@eezstreet, @@Raz0r:

GREAT NEWS!!! :winkthumb:

Raven is going to release the Carcass.exe source code to us!!!

email response from Mike Gummelt:

James and Ste have discussed this some. Sounds like they're going to see if they can find the carcass code (when Ste gets back from vacation). Since we're not using this tech anymore, maybe it would be okay to release it. James says your problem sounds like "a standard matrix quantization issue"...

I said I would await their next response...

We don't have StringED -at all- but it's not too different from SOF2's version. I'm aware of a few other tools but they weren't remotely useful.

We need IBIze source too, it's the ICARUS compiler. Other than that, I think that's everything.

StringED is referenced in several source files, it's what they made the .str files with. There's something called StripED, I'm not sure if that's the same thing or what, but it's for JK2/SOF2 and not JKA