What do you love about Star Wars?

What do you love about Star Wars?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you cherish most in terms of Star Wars media content?

2. 2. What do you like most about Star Wars?

• The Action (fights, duels, blaster-chusades, etc.)
    • The Fantasy/Sci-Fi (the Force, lightsabers, space travel, etc.)
    • The Personal Stories (family, revenge, conquering fears, etc.)
    • The Adventure (meeting new challenges, places, and characters)
    • The Nostalgia (playing a part in a fictional world created long ago)
    • The Many/Mix of Themes (part wild-west, part student-master relations, part urban, part traditional, etc.)
    • The Light vs. Dark Conflict (right vs. wrong, which will prevail)
    • The Vastness (playing a part in a fictional world that has so many stories, so many possibilities)

I thought I'd start this little poll to find out which aspect each of us likes most about Star Wars. What drew us in, and/or what's keeping us around.

If there are any options I left out, feel free to let me know in the comments below.

The thing that appealed to me so very much was the quasi-buddhist, elite nature of the Jedi, both socially (council, status), martially (discipline, sabers, force) and morally. It wasn't so much their antagonism with crazy evil dudes and more the way they were characterised as a distinct group with their own training regimes and hidden academies that taught them special powers and whatnot. This made me so very much relate to younger people in the early 2000s when Harry Potter became somewhat of a phenomenon amongst them.

Circa, Boothand, therfiles and 1 other like this

Sci-fi with action. You won't believe how terribly boring Star Trek is. What a pure waste of technology and blasters that are appropriately used in Star Wars.

Not fond of novels, comics and TV series. Even some of the movies with certain characters suck ass.

I like the 60's series and The Next Generation. Deep Space Nine wasn't too bad either with the Ferengi. They are the most human of them all. Its just a different setting and philosophy in relation to Star Wars. 

As for Star Wars I always like the sounds, the music, the locations, and the Empire the best. I like the vastness of the universe and that everything isn't so sterile as in Star Trek. Some stuff is nice and some stuff is similar to old hot rods just patched together. Not much into Jedi's, they bore me quite a bit. Oh, I also like droids quite a bit, too.

• 5 weeks later...

At different age I was interested in various things. When I was 10 or so, it was mysterious Darth Vader, starships battles and Luke's adventures, which applied to me the most. With the release of Rebel Assault games and later - Dark Forces I and II I was very much fond of deeper Star Wars, which would become a personal experience. These EU stories added the idea, that the Galaxy in SW is much larger.

Episode I showed a new perspective to me - I saw Star Wars not just like "space", but also as time. It was a good example, that the world is changing, and that it's full of different cultures and point of views. I really like that Episode I shows exquisite clothes of characters and elegant palaces, and other things. It's like in real world - some countries are futuristic and modern, while others preserve traditions and unique way of life - there is beauty in both. It was with Ep. I and II and I started to compare Star Wars to real-life events, history. So Star Wars for me is also an analysis and a way to think things through.

The whole saga is also a good example of very good design. For me it's more of a visual art. 

KOTOR 1 and 2 opened a more phylosophical approach - one of my favourite. I did remember Episode V deepness, but it was KOTOR, which introduced the stronger idea of generations. And their connections.

• 3 weeks later...

What made star wars great was it's amazing story telling, and raw creativity. No one could have imagined a city floating in the sky like that, tie fighters, a giant moon capable of blowing up planets, I mean jesus, the ideas were unimaginable at the time. Not to mention a brilliant soundtrack by John Williams, and shout out to Ralph Mcquarrie for creating the concept art for so many ideas used in the star wars movies, I really couldn't name one thing that was great about star wars. All of it put together made one great thing.

tl;dr:

-Raw Creativity

-Amazing storytelling

-Epic music