WIP... Is that another Korriban map?!

So yesterday, I thought it'd be great fun to make a Korriban map, despite the fact that there're some good ones already out there.  Today, I'm wondering why I even considered it.

It wouldn't be too hard to throw some rooms together, slap a coffin in the middle, and call it done... but where's the fun in that?  I'm trying to avoid doing just that, and I've run into a wall.  The maps my friends and I seem to like tend to have buttons, and shiny, neon signs, and well, they're more modern than Korriban seems to be.

That's about half of the problem.  I don't know how to make the map fun without having to add, for lack of a better term, "role play" elements.  A few pits, a rancor, and some traps won't really cut it, but what else does the place have?

The other half is the fact that I've not really planned the layout.  That's kind of important, but I don't really know what I want in the map.

Sooo, what would y'all put in a less modern Korriban map?  Any ideas?

This is all I have so far, which is really only one room:

shot0247_zpsce378319.jpg

Onysfx, Omicron, Boothand and 7 others like this

Cemetery as is a tomb?  Could do that... maybe stick it in a maze as well.  And mazes must have traps, they're not fun without them.

Don't forget the neon Kyles!  And I'm not even sure which maps you actually enjoy running around on.  xD

Maybe either a outdoor graveyard part next to the buildings of the map or a forgotten tomb under the building or something like that?

Yikes, the neon Kyles. Completely forgot about that. I think I wanted to force everyone to use forcemodel. >.<

I'm very fond of detailed and beautiful maps. Not just scenery but how well colours, textures/theme blends and sometimes contrasts.

I'm pushing for pretty effing amazing, but decent will do well.  :P

I'm almost done with the next room, which is kind of supposed to be a central chamber.  Not sure what'll branch off of it though... still fishing for ideas.

And there WILL be a tomb/maze.  I've got an idea for that, and it's doodled out on notebook paper somewhere in the far reaches of my backpack.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh look, an update!

So I ran outta steam somewhere in the middle of August, but I'm pleased to say that I haven't abandoned this project yet.

Only thing is that I feel like it's all going to look so monotonous by the time I'm done.  Not sure how to add in the variation without completely messing up the theme.

shot0269_zps561e16bb.jpg

Obligatory Ragnos statue: Check!

The back wall in the hall picture's gonna be removed, so there won't be any division between the hall and this room... hopefully.

Keyten, therfiles, Futuza and 5 others like this
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trudging along at the rate of a lazy snail...

So, I couldn't decide if I wanted a throne room, or a council room...  And I just had to throw in a pit or two.  I like the result, but I also don't like it.  Because it's not a throne room or a council room.  It's... both?  Maybe it's a bit dark, too.

The arches are different from the ones in the other rooms.

shot0282_zpsfeb2e611.jpg

And here's a better look at the throne model.  It's a .ase I made more for testing than using... so it'll probably be changed.  Also, the one on the left is scaled down to the correct size.  Not the one on the right.

shot0283_zps2d6ab26a.jpg

Also, it's important that I have four thrones up there instead of one.  So, if anyone has an idea for arranging them evenly, that'd be cool.

z3filus, Rooxon and Omicron like this
  • 3 weeks later...

@@Ramikad I THINK I used your suggestion and it turned out well.  It was either that or very similar, I'd have to check.  xD

Anyways, there's going to be a library!  Not just any library, mind you.  I've noticed that half the time a map has a library, no one uses it because there's nothing to do.  Sooo, this one shall be special.  Just how is a secret, because I haven't quite worked out the idea yet.

There're a few texture alignments I need to fix and some other things that need adding, but this is it so far.

shot0286_zps039e76c9.jpg

I have one slight problem, though.  What does a library usually contain?  BOOKS!  And... this one has no books.  ):  Anyone have ideas for that?  Do I make models for them, or leave the shelves empty...?  Or what?

Omicron and z3filus like this

It'd be pretty easy to just make shelves and then texture brushes to look like books. You can get some good textures here. http://www.dougturner.net/blendersite/bookt.html    These can even be edited to make even more textures. I cancelled my museum/library in my map and deleted the textures or else I would have given them to you.

if you could use paintings, pictures, drawings, ect.. there are tons of images here that are free use. You'll have to search, but, you never know what you may find that'll work out.   https://images.nga.gov/en/page/show_home_page.html

Please keep them thrones as they are in the image, don't go place them in a circle because it's a jedicouncil thing and we're talking about Korriban.

Korriban is the Egypt of StarWars and infact if you google ancient egypt, you may find some interesting designs to fit in a Korriban map.

A grand hall with pillars as high as the sky, and the ruler (s) sitting at the far end of the hall is majestic, keep it like so. That's my opinion.

It'd be pretty easy to just make shelves and then texture brushes to look like books.

That's probably what I'll have to do, but I'm afraid they'll just look like clunky boxes.

Please keep them thrones as they are in the image, don't go place them in a circle because it's a jedicouncil thing and we're talking about Korriban.

Korriban is the Egypt of StarWars and infact if you google ancient egypt, you may find some interesting designs to fit in a Korriban map.

The thrones won't be in a circle, I promise!  They just need to kinda fit together, more like a ( shape rather than a [ shape, if that makes any sense at all.

And that's a really good idea, actually.  I've always liked ancient Egyptian architecture; maybe that's why I like Korriban.  :o

If you do Korriban KOTOR style you can still retain 'modern' designs for certain structures.

I haven't played KOTOR, so I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

That's probably what I'll have to do, but I'm afraid they'll just look like clunky boxes.

All your going to need to do is put some books a unit or two taller or shorter along a given block of books. With your light scheme being on the darker side It'll look really great. Find some good free use, darker wood textures ( Wood textures are abundant) for your bookshelves and it should all match up really well.

• 2 weeks later...

Role play mechanics? First thing I'd do if I ran a sith cult and wanted to build my base there is lay down some cables and generators :P

Just some parts could have cabling for buttons and stuff. Computers, holotables, lighting etc.

I think if you'd combine that you could create a very original map.

Ok, so let's flip the coin around!
I'd say create some sort of ghost haunting the building. A ghost much like how Jedi's become one with the force, but a sith lord like ragnos.
Ragnos would be a little cliché, so you can add in a new character (desann's tomb?)

Or how about a sophisticated trap, (that has wet walls from rain, so players can't use the JA+ grapple (Shotonly clip)) that leads down to a room that has floor pieces collapsing and lava flowing in in a spectacular and dramatic way? :P
One of the things that you could add are different buttons (force powered) one the end of various puzzle rooms. If every button is pressed, by either globally or just per player, a main room's button is activated and players can proceed. What I've never seen before on Korriban type maps are Legend of Zelda like puzzles. At least, not that I know of.
What you have to decide is whether the reward is globally or per player.
But do think of a way so the final button has to be worked for every time you play on that map it feels like an achievement when it's finally open.
Riddles? Treasure maps? You name it! :P

There will be at least one tomb, though I don't know about ghosts.

Lava must absolutely be included, and probably in some ruined place, but the buttons thing sounds like it could involve scripting?  I'm all for some tricky puzzles, but I can't script anything to save my life.  xD

And I hadn't even thought about 1.01 stuff like grapple.  That's going to require some extra thinking and testing!

Haha don't worry about scripting :P

It's actually not that hard.

And otherwise you can use target_activators.

Six buttons, switch one activates 2, which activates 3, all the way to 6.

Switch 1 also activates a timer that will deactivate switch one, and that deactivator is also triggered by the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th to extend the time the 7th button can be used.

About the grapple, I think if you add a brush on the sides of another and give it a shot only clip it'll do fine :P

Think about the surfaceparms for skyboxes, and use that.