Replacement for seeing Kyle as a missing skin.

Now, I know from SiLink that http://jkhub.org/area51/files/file/558-mp-player-skin-not-found-kyle-overwrite/ exists, but what I'd like to see is a little different.

Rather than just a blank kyle, I'd like to see a mod that tells jk3 to reference a different model entirely when you don't have someones skin. Perhaps a blank mannequin. This way you wouldn't see so many Kyle's everywhere all the time. Also, people could start using the kyle model again without people thinking they were missing the skin. It would be especially useful to RP clans, because seeing a 3 foot tall kyle in place of a female youngling child is just.. weird. And immersion-breaking.

Anyone think this would be possible? I'd be willing to reskin a model for use in the mod, or skin a brand new model.

MUG likes this

A client side thing that let you choose how unknown models are displayed would be awesome. you could just have a cvar "unknown_model" and you give it a model code. Could leave it blank to give players a randomised model.

It would be especially useful to RP clans, because seeing a 3 foot tall kyle in place of a female youngling child is just.. weird. And immersion-breaking.

I used to use a random hooded Jedi from the customisation pack and have it overwrite Kyle myself. I reskinned the face just to make it less visible. After a while I removed it, though. I think your example of the mannequin would be good for random servers, it reminds me of this http://jediknight3.f...ts/File/30318/1 I think a better alternative could be found for role-players, though. I think the best solution would be a mod that (with ease), allowed you to select the model yourself that you want to represent a missing skin.

EDIT: Yah, what MUG said.

Edited by MagSul

I find it easier to attach a character personality to a blank face than a 'generic' face. It's also genderless which helps. But I like MUG's idea of choosing your own. People on random servers and different kinds of communities could use anything they wanted, while some of the stricter clans could develop a skin to pass out to their members for use. Or however they want to use it! Just anything but Kyle!

Edited by Azatha
  • 1 month later...

I could understand it being annoying if you are bouncing from FFA server to FFA server but when I would play on a few different lugormod servers I would just download the files that the regulars used.

Would be best if there was just a script with a list pointing to all the base models and some way to randomize the selection, don't like the manequin idea since you'd just see a bunch of them rather than a bunch of Kyles.