Very First Model - WIP

Okay, I have absolutely no confidence yet in what I'm doing, so please be light -- very very very light -- on criticism. XD

Here's a WIP shot of the first model I'm attempting to make.

2ccwfiw.jpg

I've picked something as easy as I could in terms of shape, but I'm still having a lot of trouble figuring our how to add all the pieces together and extrude new shapes out of the main one.

Once I'm finished, I would like to skin it, weight it, and get it working in-game. I may need some help with that later. For now enjoy my awesome creation -- :lol: hahaha, as if… :P Oh my…  :ph34r: *hides in closet*

That's cute! Nice nice! :D continue the job! ^_^

I can help you later for the rig and weight part if you have some questions ^_^

You need to work a lot on the head  profiles. for the moment, remember me an alien cat of area 51 O.o

The front profile it's okay for be the  first morphing is really good :)

but it's a good start point. It's okay! My unique modelling work was a biscuit man made with blender. lol, was not the best.

eezstreet and Cerez like this

not bad for a first model !

while I own Silo 2 myself, I never actually used it to create a new model, only to make changes to models I made in max

I'll keep an eye on your work here, If you need help anywhere let me know

Edit : just had a look at my silo, to extrude simply select a face, then hit the extrude button on the top left, now a small yellow/orange ball should appear in the middle of your selected face/polygon click and drag that ball to extrude

Cerez, eezstreet and DT. like this

Well I can't really say too much because of the situation but it's a simple model and it's a start.  When you're starting out it's not so much about the things you make but how you make them, understanding how things such as topology work.  Further down the line I'd encourage hard surface modeling because that's not as easy to do as organic but that really depends I guess.

Cerez likes this

Thanks @@AshuraDX, @@Asgarath83. I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I get to the more advanced stuff...

It's meant to be a cat-like creature, Asgarath, so that works well then, I guess.  :winkthumb:

When you're starting out it's not so much about the things you make but how you make them, understanding how things such as topology work.  Further down the line I'd encourage hard surface modeling because that's not as easy to do as organic but that really depends I guess.

Thanks Captain. I find organic things quite challenging because there are shapes that curve all sorts of ways. Surfaces and solid objects are usually clean-cut and that means I can play neat with each point and adjust it easily.

Thanks @@AshuraDX, @@Asgarath83. I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I get to the more advanced stuff...

It's meant to be a cat-like creature, Asgarath, so that works well then, I guess.  :winkthumb:

Thanks Captain. I find organic things quite challenging because there are shapes that curve all sorts of ways. Surfaces and solid objects are usually clean-cut and that means I can play neat with each point and adjust it easily.

It looks like Mew from Pokemon currently, and that's pretty cute. :)

Cerez likes this

Not worry, if it's a cat humanoid creature and not a really cat it's okay. you want animate with JKA humanoid skeleton or you want to make a custom skeleton? the first way is possible, but is very different by a standard huimanoid rigging, because your model have not the arms and legs "humanoid" so need many attention because can be really weird in same movement. it's better to do a custom skeleton for a better and realistic movement, but that mean also custom animation and i never make animation for not humanoid JKA models :\

organic models are wonderfuls, but are hard to build. for starting is better try your way. :) once you get more experience, you can try with organic form.

:)

it's only a my opinion however. little steps before the big steps :)

Cerez likes this

For organic stuff I like to mess around in ZBrush using ZSpheres but that's a different story lol.

High poly hard surface modeling can be tricky and really force you to make clean sensible geometry.  That Obi-Wan lightsaber I made was modeled using high-poly modeling and it really makes one think how one would go about achieving certain areas.  Like a circle in high-poly is actually a hexagon, then smoothed to become a cylindrical shape.

Just practice and don't let tricky parts get you down, fight through it and believe in yourself, think about how talented you'll be in maybe even a few months.

There are lots of tutorials out there but since you're using Silo it can be trickier to find them xD

Cerez and Asgarath83 like this

High poly hard surface modeling can be tricky and really force you to make clean sensible geometry.  That Obi-Wan lightsaber I made was modeled using high-poly modeling and it really makes one think how one would go about achieving certain areas.  Like a circle in high-poly is actually a hexagon, then smoothed to become a cylindrical shape.

Now I see what you mean, Captain. I was talking with low poly modelling in mind, but with high poly modelling that's a whole different issue. Modelling is interesting like that, it's as much art as science. You need a creative eye to be free and at the same time you need to know your shapes and make logical decisions.

There are lots of tutorials out there but since you're using Silo it can be trickier to find them xD

Funny enough I've found more tutorials for beginners with Silo than with any of the other modelling software so far. XD I like how the interface is clean to see and easy to get used to. It's kind of like a mix between the Photoshop experience and a professional 3D modelling tool. It'll do for the start, as an introduction, anyway.

Don't worry guys, I'll continue practicing. Thank you so much everyone for your support. ^_^

I'll try to keep you up-to-date on my progress here...

The next challenge is lots of extrusion for the little arms and fingers, legs and tail:

Edit : just had a look at my silo, to extrude simply select a face, then hit the extrude button on the top left, now a small yellow/orange ball should appear in the middle of your selected face/polygon click and drag that ball to extrude

Or select face/polygon and hit "Z", then "W" and drag the axis you want with the mouse to extrude. (I'm trying to get used to using the keyboard shortcuts.) Thanks @@AshuraDX! ^_^ I find that Silo really isn't a bad software (so far). It's buggy with adding the reference images on my Mac, but it works fine on Linux. It's also really easy to fully customise to your liking.

Or select face/polygon and hit "Z", then "W" and drag the axis you want with the mouse to extrude. (I'm trying to get used to using the keyboard shortcuts.) Thanks @@AshuraDX! ^_^ I find that Silo really isn't a bad software (so far). It's buggy with adding the reference images on my Mac, but it works fine on Linux. It's also really easy to fully customise to your liking.

Silo certainly is not a bad program, i've just grown so used to 3ds max that I barely use it, even though I just noticed that my Silo2 (on Steam) was somehow upgraded to the professional version O.o

Silo certainly is not a bad program, i've just grown so used to 3ds max that I barely use it, even though I just noticed that my Silo2 (on Steam) was somehow upgraded to the professional version O.o

That's interesting. I think they've removed the version licensing system; that'd be why...

Ahahahaha, Mew Sith Lord XD.

i have a brazil friend that know everything about pokemons LOL, i not like much the show, instead, but i understand the great works of biological study for define many of skills of thats creatures. XD.

Good Luck with model, @@Cerez ... mmm, no, Good Luke with model! :D

• 7 months later...

I've discovered something new. This is for people using Silo to model:

If you are importing an external object/model in the OBJ format, you may have noticed that Silo doesn't seem to load the textures. This is just a small quirk. All you need to do is select the model, then under "Editors/Options" in the top menu select "Material Editor". Under "Texture" in the "Material Editor" window, point the path to your texture image. Voila! The textures are back and in their proper place.

Also, your model will likely be much bigger than the working area, so you'll need to zoom out a lot first to be able to see it. I'm not sure how to fix that, other than to select the whole model and downsize it.

I am only good at making simple objects, like bottles, chairs, tables, cars, speeders, etc. though I did try to create a character. 

I've never heard anything about the Silo. But it reminds me of Daz Hexagon, which is my choice for modeling for now. :)

Cerez likes this