NPCs - tweaks and personality?

Here's a list of what the previous version of the mod did to NPCs:

Changes from Base JA:

• - Stormtroopers fire faster and have better accuracy
  • - Force cultists have less force points but run faster
  • - Slightly improved accuracy for impworker, human_merc, trandoshan
  • - Rebornmasters given shorter sabers (they had a fracking cheap 6 ft long saber)
  • - A couple slightly tougher Jedi NPCs
  • - Some NPCs like rebel troopers, bespin cops, kyle, luke, desann stats edited

Changes from v0.4 -

- RancorSNP's NPCs fix integrated into my mod

• Alora_dual is now using Alora2 skin.
  • ¤ Assassin_droid sound fixed .
  • ¤ Fixed Bartender, no longer weird dance.
  • ¤ Deleted Cultist Destroyer (Its just lack of animation, if you wanna keep him just delete Cultist_destroyer.npc from my *.pk3)
  • ¤ Imperial Commander is now using his own voice, no longer same as Imperial Officer
  • ¤ Deleted Jawa_Armed, he's weapon was never fully created, crashing game, no use of them.
  • ¤ Fixed Morgan Katarn, added him few force powers (no saber, he was forceuser not jedi).
  • ¤ Rebel and Rebel 2 are now using their own voice
  • ¤ Rebel 2 now have changed look to rebel pilot
  • ¤ Deleted duplicated Rebel2
  • ¤ Fixed Remote to look like it should be looking. (Still glitchy... but sometimes usable)
  • ¤ Removed RocketTrooper_ver1 this is just scaled stormtrooper, game have another rockettrooper NPC, guess they forgot to delete it.
  • ¤ Tried to fix rocks NPC, it failed so they're deleted. No use of them.
  • ¤ Increased Rosh's hp to prevent him from killing himself while jumping over the river. (has about 50 hp now)
  • ¤ Deleted Test NPC.
  • ¤ Deleted duplicated STOfficerAlt
  • ¤ Changed Tusken Sniper ally and enemy side. Now they're like normal tusken FREE/FREE.
  • ¤ Fixed walk speed of nearly all NPC's. (Useful to scripts, or roleplay NPC controll)

Other stuff (by me, not rancor):

• - stormtroopers given class_stormtrooper again (as opposed to class_jan, this makes their aim a tad more sloppy and scales their abilities with the game difficulty), hp increased from 30 to 40
  • - tie pilots now fire slightly faster, have slightly better aim than a stormtrooper, and run slightly faster, however has 30 hp
  • - impworker aim improved slightly
  • - jedi npc stats tinkered with more
  • - saber wielding cultists buffed slightly
  • - rebornmasters made slightly less cheap, single wielding masters get tavion style instead of fast style
  • - reborn adepts (the blue new reborns) get an extra force power (it was Force Heal I think) and faster running speed (they seemed kind of pointless as they were just less strong versions of the red reborns)

Some thoughts I had:

Stormtroopers - good but randomized accuracy. They have rank ensign and aim 5, so they aim well, but they also have a slight random error. Skilled yet slightly unrefined. They also have some of the fastest alert times of any gunner NPC now with Class_Swamptrooper. 30 HP --> 40 HP.

Human Mercs - Slightly less terrible accuracy. More aggressive. Maybe lower HP from 100 to 90? (On Jedi Knight and up they'll still have 100+ hp because difficulty increases it)

Grans - may change or remove the Granboxer and shooter. Oddballs they are. Granshooter is not really any different from other gunner NPCs save perfect aim and 50 HP, Granboxer is just kind of weird that they charge at you unarmed...

Trandoshans - More HP (40 --> 50-60), they're supposed to be really strong and tough, moreso than the average human! 5% taller. Maybe uses melee if they lose their weapon and they're really close? Maybe slower speed.

Weequays - 40 HP but slower speed.

Assassin Droids - They can fire with shields up now hehe.

Saboteurs - pretty sure they can't fire while cloaked, what's the point of that? Should fix... Maybe give the pistol wielder one alt-fire by default?

Enemy saberists - 100 yawspeed for less skilled, 140 for more skilled, 160 for top saberists (this affects how rapidly they can use backslash attacks). Better AI for using Dark Rage, recovering from Grip/Drain break outs, using kicks and katas. Increased runspeed possibly for the best saberists (Reborn Master or boss level saberists). Less cheap Reborn Masters, take away some of their AI exploits but give them some combination of things like Tavion style, more HP, more runspeed, etc. Reborn Adepts (blue new reborn) are made into a full fleshed out enemy with different force powers and abilities from Warriors, Reborn Apprentice fills the former role of adepts.

Jedi (students) - they should be tough but not too tough... They hold their own well in 1v1 duels with red reborn warriors (which is a feat considering the reborn have; more hp, better stats, modded sabers, and lots of force powers), but seem so easy to defeat as the player... a light buff

Jedi (masters) - they should be very powerful, better than a Reborn Master really. The Reborn Master should have a bit more raw power due to being powered up originally by Desann and maybe even more by Tavion, but the Jedi Master should have more true skill as they would have more training and discipline. Why do they have staff sabers? Seems odd to me. Perhaps a single-wielding and a staff variant, to complement the Jedi Trainer which has dual sabers, and maybe should have a single-wielding variant.

Imp workers - may give one of them the DEMP2. They aim slightly better, but still terrible :P. If impworker3 is used at all in JA, maybe we can give him the stun baton.

Swamptroopers - perhaps they can be added in some spots...

I'll add more later. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Grab, therfiles and Asgarath83 like this

Mmm, should be nice replace stormtrooper to swamptrooper on t3_hevil and put same shadowtrooper enemy in the last levels. maybe the rest of the forces of Galak that help tavion for revive ragnos and guard her in the last level near the tomb? :)

for the other things, it's fine. i every found boring the shadowtrooper and saboteur not attack when cloacked -.-

Dusty likes this

^I think I want to do that. Fighting 2 Reborn Masters at once outside Tavion's tomb? Yes. But then again, I can't help but feel cannonically Jaden wouldn't be capable of such a thing, unless he is considered to be at Kyle's level who could probably take 2 masters at once... Also the shadowtroopers on t3_hevil would be kind of cool... swamptroopers too. Maybe they would be trying to get the jump on the Noghri by attacking from the water :P

^I think I want to do that. Fighting 2 Reborn Masters at once outside Tavion's tomb? Yes. But then again, I can't help but feel cannonically Jaden wouldn't be capable of such a thing, unless he is considered to be at Kyle's level who could probably take 2 masters at once... Also the shadowtroopers on t3_hevil would be kind of cool... swamptroopers too. Maybe they would be trying to get the jump on the Noghri by attacking from the water :P

You can program a NPC shadowtrooper model with CLASS_SWAMPTROOPER. the swamptrooper class CANNOT DROWN and shoul be really fun see cultists with anphibian suite, armored of lightsabes that jump from the water of the lake slashing the noghris. add 2 of that can be sufficient XD

Give them a saber with the stun_baton model. Have them fight with a wrench. Saber defense 0, attack 1-2.

Good idea, I think the standard version of the stun baton may be more up their alley. Now that I think about it I think I tried giving them one once and when you got within like 2 feet of them they basically killed you instantly, so I may have to tweak that. Either it's just too powerful or NPCs can fire it like 4x as fast as the player can which may be some oversight due to NPCs not being able to use it normally.

swamptroopers too. Maybe they would be trying to get the jump on the Noghri by attacking from the water :P

I've tested it and, for some reason,they couldn't seem to be able to attack me from the water when they were fully submerged  The only time when I managed to get attacked from NPCs in deep water was by making custom NPC with team 'player',then have them turn on me.

Perhaps you could make them spawn in deep water,then use a waypoint to get them out.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't think you should change the enemies speeds at or not very much. Main reason is that I play with the speed g_speed 200 where default is g_speed 250. This makes them slightly faster than me and I think is a better movement speed. It also makes the rolls faster since they are locked at 250. 

In my custom npc file I've given all saber wielders force heal of 2 or 3. This way they can all heal and make fights last longer. I also gave them different saber colors so that there is some more variety. It's nice.

Asgarath83 likes this

I personally don't think you should change the enemies speeds at or not very much. Main reason is that I play with the speed g_speed 200 where default is g_speed 250. This makes them slightly faster than me and I think is a better movement speed. It also makes the rolls faster since they are locked at 250. 

In my custom npc file I've given all saber wielders force heal of 2 or 3. This way they can all heal and make fights last longer. I also gave them different saber colors so that there is some more variety. It's nice.

Perhaps you're right. I was going to make most saber wielding enemies run at 215 or 230, and limit the player speed on Jedi Master at 230. I figure this would make it a little tougher to run from enemies and force you to engage them a tad more. The default speed is 200 for almost all enemies. The only saber wielder exception I believe is Rosh_dark who gets 300 run speed.

Force heal? Perhaps. Considering the red reborn are the strongest standard type of saber enemy, I wanted to make the reborn adepts (what I call the blue reborns, red ones I call warriors) and saber cultists have force heal or something unusual. Most enemies don't need/benefit from Force Heal compared to the player though, as enemy's have more HP, 200 + shadowtrooper damage reduction for reborn masters, 300+ hp and damage reduction for most bosses, 300 hp for reborn warriors. With that much HP it will take them longer to heal and drain more force points from them, but may still be a good idea, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

One thing about NPCs, is many of them have Dark Rage which makes them an easy mark. What happens is they drain most of their HP sometimes down to 1 hp :P) from constantly raging, and then they start using Force Drain incessantly to make up the difference. Perhaps this part of the AI could be improved for JA, as this is something that they don't suffer from in JK2 as they don't have rage.

Perhaps you're right. I was going to make most saber wielding enemies run at 215 or 230, and limit the player speed on Jedi Master at 230. I figure this would make it a little tougher to run from enemies and force you to engage them a tad more. The default speed is 200 for almost all enemies. The only saber wielder exception I believe is Rosh_dark who gets 300 run speed.

Force heal? Perhaps. Considering the red reborn are the strongest standard type of saber enemy, I wanted to make the reborn adepts (what I call the blue reborns, red ones I call warriors) and saber cultists have force heal or something unusual. Most enemies don't need/benefit from Force Heal compared to the player though, as enemy's have more HP, 200 + shadowtrooper damage reduction for reborn masters, 300+ hp and damage reduction for most bosses, 300 hp for reborn warriors. With that much HP it will take them longer to heal and drain more force points from them, but may still be a good idea, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

One thing about NPCs, is many of them have Dark Rage which makes them an easy mark. What happens is they drain most of their HP sometimes down to 1 hp :P) from constantly raging, and then they start using Force Drain incessantly to make up the difference. Perhaps this part of the AI could be improved for JA, as this is something that they don't suffer from in JK2 as they don't have rage.

You could allow rage un npc only when they are above certain HP, like if they have 300 only above 200,180

Asgarath83 likes this

I am hosting Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy servers for free up to 8 servers. Contact me if you are in need of a server for your community. 🙂

I also bump up rage to level 2 except for the weakest yellow JO reborn. That way they don't use rage 1 and set themselves up to die.

I like to bump their hp just a tad as well because I use the mod OJP Basic v.10 with more damage and dismemberment. This way they don't die in one hit, and if I'm being harried by more than one they can get a chance to heal a bit. 

So currently there are 3 Reborn Adept NPCs, one for single, staff, and duals.

What I think I will do is this, make the single saber one a "Reborn apprentice" which would be the current Adept, basically a weaker version of the Reborn Warrior. Then the other two will be a Single-wielder and a Duals-wielder. They will be like alternate versions of the Warriors, which have more/different force powers and a slightly different strategy.

EDIT:

Rough draft -

1.) Reborn Apprentice is the same as the old adepts. He wields a single saber. He needs a new skin though... perhaps a new color of reborn? Red and blue are taken, that leaves, gray, green, brown/orange in my mind.

2.) Reborn Adepts - two variants, one that wields single saber and one with duals.

Force powers: Doesn't have Rage or Grip, however he has Pull 3 (Warriors have Pull 2), Heal 2 (Heal 0), Absorb 2 (Absorb 0), Drain 3 (Drain 2), Lightning 2 (Lightning 1), and 125 force points instead of 100

Behavior/Other: Has commander rank, however all his stats have been lowered to "4" instead of "5", haven't tested yet, but the idea here is that he will be more crafty but less aggressive and slightly slower to react than his Warrior counterpart, HP lowered from 300 to 250.

I'd like to see each merc type have its own unique perks. So for instance, what you're doing with trandoshans to make them tougher, I would go ahead and maybe make something like...

• Weequay: More HP, move slower
  • Trandoshan: Taller, slightly more HP
  • Rodian: Weaker, mob-like
  • Gran: No change ("grenade" special type)
  • Human Merc: No change ("generic" enemy)

I'd like to see each merc type have its own unique perks. So for instance, what you're doing with trandoshans to make them tougher, I would go ahead and maybe make something like...

• Weequay: More HP, move slower
  • Trandoshan: Taller, slightly more HP
  • Rodian: Weaker, mob-like
  • Gran: No change ("grenade" special type)
  • Human Merc: No change ("generic" enemy)

Weequay, maybe I'll bump em up to 35-40 HP. They seem "rugged". Slower perhaps. Bowcaster is a big weapon, maybe some kind of gunwhack like you suggested before. Trandoshan, I imagine them being tougher than a Weequay, at least 50 HP, taller yes. Rodian mostly unchanged, IIRC I think the gunner Rodian only gets 20 HP in base. Gran is a special enemy yes, Human Merc is a generic powerhouse type wearing heavy armor (100 HP).

Here's my skin for the Reborn Apprentice so far...:

reborn_new_000.jpg reborn_new_001.jpg

He's green and doesn't have the head piece on the back, so he's distinguishable from the more knight-like (like a Reborn Knight?) stronger Reborn.

• 2 months later...

So, I'm playing with the NPC code a bit.

I'm trying to decide how melee attacks should work with enemies. The idea is that certain enemies, if you get really close, will sock you with a punch and then go back to using their weapon normally. Or gun whack you. Or something. Then there's the problem of all this being difficult to code.

Version I can code:

Enemy switches to melee when you get very close, throws a punch, then switches back to their weapon and waits a second before doing it again. Kind of sloppy though, that they have to completely put away their weapon for a second. Sloppy visually, gameplay wise, and code wise.

Ideal:

The enemy would, weapon in one hand, throw a punch or claw with the other hand. Or do a gun whack. These both are completely novel code pieces though, and not simple new checks or pre-defined actions I can re-use.

Ideas I had in mind:

- some enemies (like Gran) use Heavy Melee, which are the slow power punches. Maybe these would do slightly less damage than now (30-40 damage on Jedi Knight), but be able to knock you down or have more knockback. (for doing so much damage they don't pack much physical punch)

- some enemies would have a "claw" attack (Trandoshans, Chewie?) that maybe knocks down. Not sure how much different this would be from heavy punches though.

- some enemies could use a gun whack, maybe depending on the weapon and the class? Bowcaster, imperial heavy repeater, I see. It would a good bit of damage and be quick enough to catch you off guard, but wouldn't knock down.

Weequays I imagine with a bowcaster whack. Trandoshans with some combination heavy punching or a claw attack. Human Mercs because they're aggressive turds maybe throw a punch at you if you get too close. Right now I'm trying to make Grans with Thermal Dets (or Blaster Rifles) punch you up close even if you have your saber equipped and then quickly switch back to their weapon.

I like the melee idea. Be careful if you have them knock the player back. It would be a bad idea tactically to be close enough to punch a Jedi only to knock him out of attacking ranch, but have them able to be in range with their saber. 

On the flip side you don't want to knock the player down every time. So a variable or random number might be a good idea here.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the melee idea. Be careful if you have them knock the player back. It would be a bad idea tactically to be close enough to punch a Jedi only to knock him out of attacking ranch, but have them able to be in range with their saber. 

On the flip side you don't want to knock the player down every time. So a variable or random number might be a good idea here.

Yeah, knockdown or stagger is probably better.