Recognize cheating

The only cheats that I really think are worth even attempting to block in this day and age are wallhack/aimbot.  And even that is a stretch because making an anti-cheat that works with GPL software is tricky.

The best way would be to block users out who don't run a specific client that is open source but contains authentication pub/priv keys etc that isn't publicly available.  But I don't see this happening unless the protocol in general gets changed.  IE to prevent DDoS etc.

Who do you think develops that "someone else's tool" that cheaters use? ;)

"Most cheaters aren't coders" is a weak argument. It takes one coder to distribute it to thousands.

well, in my experience they are friends of the guy who codes de hax so i guess nothing can be done about this.

I am hosting Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy servers for free up to 8 servers. Contact me if you are in need of a server for your community. 🙂

The only cheats that I really think are worth even attempting to block in this day and age are wallhack/aimbot.  And even that is a stretch because making an anti-cheat that works with GPL software is tricky.

The best way would be to block users out who don't run a specific client that is open source but contains authentication pub/priv keys etc that isn't publicly available.  But I don't see this happening unless the protocol in general gets changed.  IE to prevent DDoS etc.

You just can't control what's running on the user's computer. If they have the ability to use the proper client and authenticate with that from their computer, they can use a modified client just as easily.

"Most cheaters aren't coders" is a weak argument. It takes one coder to distribute it to thousands.

I think it does have a valid argument in it though.  The goal of 'cheat protection' should be just to make it harder, not to foil it outright.  If the cheat protection software is being updated constantly it means the cheat users have to keep up-to-date with their cheats, etc...

I'm pretty sure that there is no such thing for JKA. It would be incredibly useful though. Can you use JK2MF to figure out who used a modified client through demos as well?

I'm not sure I'd want to introduce DRM protection software to JKA...

JKG Developer