Non-Star-Wars model requests

Because people enjoy things other than Star Wars as well.

LOL, wonko! I thought we were all C3POs…  ^_^

The key here is why for a Star Wars game, since there are more appropriate games/environments for many of these characters.

Oh, I forgot about that. Thanks Boothand. :) I found your response in that thread very interesting. If you don't play the game, why not model for a (more up-to-date) engine/game that allows more versatility? Why stick to a game that is based on Star Wars FPS action and Jedi lightsaber combat? After all, the _humanoid skeleton of JKA is quite constricting...  :mellow:

The key here is why for a Star Wars game, since there are more appropriate games/environments for many of these characters.

Because we love Jedi Academy. :D Also because it allows for so much modding, and probably partially because it's so old that it's not particularly hard to create new art since you don't have to worry about high-res textures, normal maps etc.
Cerez likes this

I see. So it's the convenience factor, then?

Are there not many other games/engines that allow the same amount of freedom out there? I would have thought that any Quake, Doom, or Unreal series engine based game would have the same amount of freedom for modding...

Oh, I forgot about that. Thanks Boothand. :) I found your response in that thread very interesting. If you don't play the game, why not model for a (more up-to-date) engine/game that allows more versatility? Why stick to a game that is based on Star Wars FPS action and Jedi lightsaber combat? After all, the _humanoid skeleton of JKA is quite constricting...  :mellow:

I play JK2 1.02 very much, and the difference in gameplay keeps me from really playing Jedi Academy. However, most of the mapping potential is in JKA, because of things like icarus scripting and more functional entities in MP. Also JKA has a bigger modding community nowadays (and a history of impressive maps), which motivates me to mod for JKA instead.

I may not achieve what I want with lightsaber combat (unless JKG makes it work like I hope (which partially drives some of my motivation (sorry for all the parentheses))), but it has the right atmosphere still. There's something about the whole setting of the game which appeals for making totally custom things, whether it be for duels, gunplay or just adventures/campaigns. I suppose there's some nostalgia involved. And it's a game I know, along with the players that inhabit it. Not who they are, but how people play/enjoy these games.

Also, with rend2, I get to do a lot of the work that goes into creating content for newer engines.

I've occasionally looked for other games, and sometimes I'd want to mod for things like Mount & Blade Warband. But it's not as carefree as JK modding, and there are so many things that annoy me with that game anyway..! Which leads to my next point, that I don't really get excited about many other newer or older games to the extent that I'd like to join in a modding community for it (which is a little bit ironic, since I'm starting a 3-year game technology study in a week, but also a possible explanation for wanting to make games of my own), which also leads to the next point that I'm kind of into this community and its people, which again is enough to make me want to push my non-Star Wars creations onto it :P (coming in.. a while.. or some years.. probably).

katanamaru and Cerez like this

I see. So it's the convenience factor, then?

Are there not many other games/engines that allow the same amount of freedom out there? I would have thought that any Quake, Doom, or Unreal series engine based game would have the same amount of freedom for modding...

Well the flaw there is that, especially nowadays, any games "built on those engines" are typically built on modified versions of the engines, specifically when you talk about AAA games.  Now in some cases, like with most Unreal based games, you can usually get the editor working, even if they disabled it for distribution.  But often because of changes they may have made in the engine code, they are not as easily modded as a generic Unreal game.  Or in some cases, due to other software they may have added to the engine, and the rights that come with them, they may not be allowed and or able to allow modding.

EX: Mirrors Edge has its Unreal Editor .exe and I think a few other files removed.  Assuming you have a game with the same engine version, you can copy paste the missing files in, and open the Mirrors Edge in the editor, but since all it's files are baked, there is a big limit on what you can do I think.  I've personally managed to get into the editor for it, but was never able to do much with it other than few files.

Cerez likes this

As, I really do not view this as a Star Wars game.

Title is all I see. Horrible Single-Player, does not exist for me. Single-Player? Remove the sabers, put in some swords. Medieval armor models/skins, a medieval map. Congratulations, the medieval ages you have! Star Trek? That as well.

I view this as a game that has the most amazing sword combat system, and you can put any "skin" or "theme" you want onto it, or even change the core gameplay via modifications. I suppose  extreme example is how many people say SWTOR is a Star Wars skin, and its a clone of WoW.

Cerez likes this

I like playing as the guy from TRON so whatever :P

Flynn, this makes me think about the fabric of the universe…  :lol:  ;)

But I get what you guys are saying. There are many ways to look at a game, and development environment, and that's exactly why I found it so interesting to ask this question and read everyone's opinions/answers. It seems this game has become a lot-lot more than what it was intended to be by Raven, and LucasArts, and it's interesting to see how a simple product like it can appeal on so many levels, and encourage so much creative development.

It really is (and this community is) quite miraculous. It is one of the only instances that I know where active development and community engagement has continued for over 10 years, and that's a truly impressive feat for a game that wasn't all that "successful".

Now let me flip the coin on you.  Why would you have characters from Star Wars in games that have nothing to do with Star Wars?  A good example would be Soul Calibur 4 where both Yoda and Darth Vader make appearances.  Why? Because it's cool to have them as playable fighters.