Run out of transform space for ghoul2 Models. Adjust MiniHeapSize in SV_Spawn Server

How exactly does the Ghoul2 collision work? With respect to LODs... I mean what if LOD0 (when actively drawn on screen) used LOD1 for collision calculations? And LOD1 used LOD2 for collisions, and so on? then you would never be using LOD0 (the most detailed mesh for collision calculations... wonder if that would work... and how that would look?

It uses the Ghoul2 model for collision detection instead of a proxy model (which would be a lot cheaper for not much visible precision loss) - the LOD used can be controlled with g_g2TraceLod which defaults to LOD3 (or the closest available one).

Collision detection can't be tied to what the player sees because, at least in MP, you have multiple view points.

It uses the Ghoul2 model for collision detection instead of a proxy model (which would be a lot cheaper for not much visible precision loss) - the LOD used can be controlled with g_g2TraceLod which defaults to LOD3 (or the closest available one).Collision detection can't be tied to what the player sees because, at least in MP, you have multiple view points.

So it already uses a user or code specified lower GLM LOD that the artist has already created. I don't think you can do better than that... the problem is most people do not even create LODs!

minilogoguy18 and eezstreet like this

So it already uses a user or code specified lower GLM LOD that the artist has already created. I don't think you can do better than that... the problem is most people do not even create LODs!

I had this issue for my AT-ST, when LOD's were made I stopped getting that error and the more LOD's I made the better the performance.

I do find it hard to go down to LOD3, it looks so bad at that point you don't even wanna include it.

It's good to know that the game uses the least detailed LOD as the collision mesh.

Archangel35757 likes this

@@eezstreet and other JKHub admins... perhaps, as a new submission rule, JKHub should start requiring that MD3 (3 levels: LOD0, LOD1, LOD2) and Ghoul2 GLM models (4 to 6 levels?) be properly LOD'ed so as to avoid this as an issue? Just a suggestion...

Um....no. That would cut out a lot of people who don't even know what an LOD is from making a model.

Making LODs in the 3D modeling software is no more complicated than making the original model-- in fact it's much easier. The reason they are not made is either ignorance of their need or laziness.

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but it's still no reason to bar them entirely from being on JKHub. If I can slap a skin together with "LOL AMAZING SKIN" written on the back of a shirt in MS paint, there's no reason we should hold modelers to some kind of extra standard.

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but it's still no reason to bar them entirely from being on JKHub. If I can slap a skin together with "LOL AMAZING SKIN" written on the back of a shirt in MS paint, there's no reason we should hold modelers to some kind of extra standard.

Well, you guys require a readme file... You should probably consider requiring the readme to specify if LODs are supported-- else users will likely run into this error... especially on highly detailed meshes. Maybe require the readme file to include a warning about this potential error because no LODs were created. Maybe this will shame folks in doing the little extra bit of work. Or maybe reward artists with a "special seal of approval" (something cool looking with the Raven and JKHub logos) for submitting properly made quality models-- if they are weighted to all bones (i.e. the face is weighted to the facial bones... often not done), BOT support, sounds, LODs, etc. ( positive reinforcement of desired results for "game-ready" models).

seal-approval-eps-3180870.jpg

Odeyseis likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, you guys require a readme file... You should probably consider requiring the readme to specify if LODs are supported-- else users will likely run into this error... especially on highly detailed meshes. Maybe require the readme file to include a warning about this potential error because no LODs were created. Maybe this will shame folks in doing the little extra bit of work. Or maybe reward artists with a "special seal of approval" (something cool looking with the Raven and JKHub logos) for submitting properly made quality models-- if they are weighted to all bones (i.e. the face is weighted to the facial bones... often not done), BOT support, sounds, LODs, etc. ( positive reinforcement of desired results for "game-ready" models).

You're talking about reviews.  If someone produces a low quality skin/model/etc. users are expected to review it as such with 1 or 2 stars and a rant about how awful the model is.  Properly made models, will get 5 star reviews, simple as that.

JKG Developer

• 1 year later...

No, I understand. I'm just a bit busy at the moment so I couldn't afford a proper reply-

There are three pinned tutorials in the Coding section of the Tutorisls. Those should be enough to get you started. I very strongly recommend you use OpenJK, as fixing the game to compile with modern compilers is not a small task, especially for a beginner.

Once you've got the game compiled, let me know and I'll walk you through what to change.

So, where do you change the code. I just barely started adding mods, and this same message came up while I was playing the Prequel Conversion mod. 

I am really dumb, and don't know where and how to change the code. Can you help me? I don't know how to use OpenJK, either.

So, where do you change the code. I just barely started adding mods, and this same message came up while I was playing the Prequel Conversion mod. 

I am really dumb, and don't know where and how to change the code. Can you help me? I don't know how to use OpenJK, either.

If you run that mod using OpenJK, that error should go away.

Download the latest nightly build for OpenJK for your platform and install it according to the directions here.

Then to actually run the Prequel Conversion mod, I don't know as I'm not sure how that mod is installed...if it's just a bunch of PK3s (and/or loaded with the Mods menu) then you just run the OpenJK SP executable; if it requires running a batch script, then you'll want to edit the batch script to point to the openjk executable instead of jasp.exe.

GrandThrawn65 likes this

If you run that mod using OpenJK, that error should go away.

Download the latest nightly build for OpenJK for your platform and install it according to the directions here.

Then to actually run the Prequel Conversion mod, I don't know as I'm not sure how that mod is installed...if it's just a bunch of PK3s (and/or loaded with the Mods menu) then you just run the OpenJK SP executable; if it requires running a batch script, then you'll want to edit the batch script to point to the openjk executable instead of jasp.exe.

Thank you, but I can't figure out how to make it full screen. Every time I run it, it just shows up in a small window, with no option to maximize it. What do I do?