Star Wars - The Clone Wars

This is a friendly message to all those who have never fully watched The Clone Wars animated series (2008) because they thought it was too childish in the first few episodes/seasons. You're missing out. ;)

There's actually never been a better Star Wars story of a Padawan growing up to become a Jedi Knight in their daily life during the time of Old Ben's cherished "Clone Wars" era.

While the whole thing starts with Ahsoka as a clueless initiate in (sort of) the spotlight, Season 3 onwards the story slowly shifts to a more adult perspective, and as she grows and learns her place in the Jedi Order, more intriguing themes come into play. There are dark force users who wield the force as magic, clone stories about brave soldiers who defied everything for the sake of human decency, dark side acolytes gone rogue after betrayed by their Sith masters, Padawan and Master relationships gone sour, and a whole lot of interesting insight into the Star Wars universe from all sorts of angles.

Not to mention so many colourful characters and their stories from all walks of the Star Wars universe -- including links to characters even the original trilogy (hi Boba). It is Star Wars true and true, even if it is animated.

So if you're reading this and you've never watched Season 3 onwards, what are you waiting for? Go and watch it now!  :lol: I promise you won't regret it.  :winkthumb:

GojiraGamer and Bek like this

@@hleV, our resident hater striking at TCW when and where he can in the worst way possible.

It got darker and more loveable mid-way through Season Three, imo. And I think Savage was the best character out of the series simply because he had the potential to be the greatest Sith adherent possible, or the best Sith Warrior. Both, maybe. Look what he accomplished in a year by himself. Too bad Sidious put an end to him.

After so many generations, one Sith of such potential finally surfaced: Savage Opress. He possessed Revan's mindset, the ability to see beyond blind hatred and greed or evil; Malgus's warrior instincts, his ability to channel the dark side to fuel his power but not to cloud his agenda; the Sith Warrior's fearlessness, the ability to ask for no mercy and expect none, but rather die like a Sith as he did by Sidious's hand; Bane's fervor, absolute passion being both their roots; and Zannah's denial of weakness.

He's simply badass. His only problem was that there were none like him that could exist to teach him. Dooku was too fanatical in certain areas, his desire to save the galaxy and ultimately control it; Sidious was simply open to arrogance, for it was the deadly sin that condemned him in the end of his life; and Maul's root was not so much passion as it was fear, which gave rise to emotions controlling what turns he took. If only Revan existed in this instance, they would have gone great together.

But yeah, who else has the guts to punch Sidious in the face and send him flying off a balcony, while sustaining a concussion from a two-hundred-meter fall and still fighting fearlessly? He will always be my favorite character in TCW.

Cerez likes this

He really evolved. In Season 3, he was blind and angry. In season 4, he was cocky and prone to temptations. But in season 5, he really evolved into someone wise, conservative, and passionate. The way he impressively changed... it was like night and day.

I really dislike the first, or crappy animated, clone wars. Can't stand watching that at all.

The good Clone Wars grew on me over time. I wish I watched the movie first instead of the first series but that is how it goes. I'm not a huge fan of Jedi but I liked the Anakin and Obi Wan relationship quite a bit. I really liked the epsiodes where R2 was lost or stolen or whatever and for me, Cad Bane was the best character in the series. I really didn't like Padme at all, in any incarnation. Her episodes were really boring.  

Bek and Cerez like this

I hated that TCW introduced things that the movies didn't even hint at existing:

• magic? AS IF FORCE WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH!
  • some spiritual world Yoda has to go to, while nobody else needed to do such a thing to become a Force Ghost? WELL YEAH WE NEEDED TO MAKE THE SHOW "INTERESTING", WHO CARES IF IT MAKES NO SENSE, IT'S FOR CHILDREN!
  • a random world where a light side and a dark side users exist and are 5432645756743654 times stronger than any other Jedi/Sith, have a sad father, and can only be stopped by the Chosen One, which just happens to be "teleported" there? I'M OUT OF FUCKING COMMENTS!

TCW is fucking garbage and anyone who things otherwise is either a child (in heart, anyway) or a fucking idiot.

Sithani likes this

I hated that TCW introduced things that the movies didn't even hint at existing:

• magic? AS IF FORCE WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH!
  • some spiritual world Yoda has to go to, while nobody else needed to do such a thing to become a Force Ghost? WELL YEAH WE NEEDED TO MAKE THE SHOW "INTERESTING", WHO CARES IF IT MAKES NO SENSE, IT'S FOR CHILDREN!
  • a random world where a light side and a dark side users exist and are 5432645756743654 times stronger than any other Jedi/Sith, have a sad father, and can only be stopped by the Chosen One, which just happens to be "teleported" there? I'M OUT OF FUCKING COMMENTS!

TCW is fucking garbage and anyone who things otherwise is either a child (in heart, anyway) or a fucking idiot.

+ Maul survived the EP1 fight of course, his anger for Obi-Wan was stronger than life/death, seems legit (while some are frustrated that apparently Boba could survive the Sarlacc pit, Maul's case is just fine in their eyes). Oh and he conquered MANDALORE FFS

+ Anakin turned to the dark side and almost had the same fight as in ROTS, also had visions about becoming Vader and such. that's. just. too much.

Cerez likes this

Well, it's a series. Any series will have episodes that are not that great. Nitpicking is not really the way to appreciate a series. I like to look at the bigger picture, and I find that most of the episodes are quite good. There are a few that are too far-stretched, and there are a few that are just stunning. I think with a television series you always need to look past the errors and see the bigger picture (appreciate the larger story at play).

I've never seen a TV series where every episode was perfectly executed and everything adds up to the last detail.

On the "magic" part, though, I understood that as the "magic" also being the Force, just used from a different perspective. The Jedi and Sith referred to it as "the Force", but other and more primitive cultures around the galaxy would have referred to it by other names, such as "magic". It actually make sense to me if you look at it from this angle.

Personally I thought the world with the Force beings didn't make much sense in terms of Star Wars, but I still found it entertaining. (It had elements from classic sci-fi films such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, and particularly Contact.) I admit they could have done better with that one, as well as Yoda's adventure (which was rushed in its execution).

Although the Clone Wars series is a good idea to realize, the performance is so awful if you're really interested in Star Wars. The events and the plot are so unreliable it hurt when I watched it. I have the impression that the makers of the show were so excited, that the Clone Wars period is free to use, that they put there everything what came to their minds, just to fill in the space with explosions, fights, lightsabers (which is why the show is mostly for kids) and random events which just couldn't fucking happen. 

EU was waaaaaaaaay more reliable than the "CANON" Clone Wars stories.

I do love the episode with Clonetroopers training on Kamino, though.

I'll admit that a lot of the episodes were boring mainly the ones revolving around diplomacy and all that nonsense but I continued to watch it because it had potential.  To be honest you can say that it sucks all you like, you can bash it and name its flaws all you like, but until we see something superior from you then you can't really say anything lol.

It's like these people who say "Dude you suck at singing don't give up your day job!" they're the sort of person I'd enjoy throwing a microphone at and say "Go ahead oh master of singing, dazzle us with your skills!"

I'm not bashing you I'm just saying that it kinda makes a person a hypocrite when they bad mouth a person or a thing yet they can't do any better themselves lol.  If you want you bash something then go ahead but unless you can do better then your argument is invalid xD

Lamented and Bek like this

I guess for me being a canon fanatic, I couldn't except Anakin having an apprentice (I've heard arguments for it, and I'm kinda ok with it now, but it just deterred me from it initially). Of course the Clone Wars are now totally canon, but I just disliked a lot of the choices made (Brining Maul back, for example, revealing Sidious, etc). I'm sure it's great, especially as it progressed into later seasons, but I just had trouble with that initial metal block.

I'll admit that a lot of the episodes were boring mainly the ones revolving around diplomacy and all that nonsense but I continued to watch it because it had potential.  To be honest you can say that it sucks all you like, you can bash it and name its flaws all you like, but until we see something superior from you then you can't really say anything lol.

It's like these people who say "Dude you suck at singing don't give up your day job!" they're the sort of person I'd enjoy throwing a microphone at and say "Go ahead oh master of singing, dazzle us with your skills!"

I'm not bashing you I'm just saying that it kinda makes a person a hypocrite when they bad mouth a person or a thing yet they can't do any better themselves lol.  If you want you bash something then go ahead but unless you can do better then your argument is invalid xD

The problem with that is its an opinion and everyone is entitled to one. I can't sing nor do I play any instruments, but, I know a crappy singer or band when I hear one. I don't need to have the skills to be able to do something in order to give an opinion. I have ears for that. It works this way for just about anything. Like you never left a movie and thought it was aweful.  :rolleyes:

The problem with that is its an opinion and everyone is entitled to one. I can't sing nor do I play any instruments, but, I know a crappy singer or band when I hear one. I don't need to have the skills to be able to do something in order to give an opinion. I have ears for that. It works this way for just about anything. Like you never left a movie and thought it was aweful.  :rolleyes:

Yeh but it's either you do something about it or stop complaining, either way they're richer than the complainer lol.

Did my post just get deleted?

Anyway,

Yeh but it's either you do something about it or stop complaining, either way they're richer than the complainer lol.

I'm not complaining, I'm pointing out that it sucks. I don't have to do better for my point about TCW being bad to be valid, all it takes is to compare it to something that is widely accepted as good (hell, even mediocre) and any sane person that isn't blinded by their love for Star Wars will see that TCW is fucking stupid. Your logic is as flawed as it gets.

(@@hleV, please show a little more respect for others' likes and opinions. It's fine that you don't like the series, but don't lash out offensively at others for finding it interesting.)

I guess it depends on what you consider to be Star Wars. This is something that will become more and more apparent as new Star Wars episodes and stories are created. Lucas changed the original story when he released the prequels, then the Clone Wars series changed the prequel story slightly with its interpretation of the characters' relationships and experiences, now Rebels will do the same to the original trilogy, and Episode VII will again impact our perception of Return of the Jedi and the original closure of the film series.

The story of Star Wars is ever-changing. Certain themes and thematic/story backgrounds are always present that make it Star Wars, but the actual stories keep changing.

Considering this, the Clone Wars added a lot of new content -- some of it good, some of it not so good -- to the Star Wars universe, and, as @@therfiles said, it became canon. The same way the new Rebel series will likely become canon, too. And Expanded Universe did a similar thing, too. They're all Star Wars, and they are all new angles on essentially the same universe and ever-changing grand story.

Personally, as a fan, I'm committed to the original Star Wars trilogy in its unaltered, first release cinematic form. That's the authentic Star Wars to me. But I can't say that the Clone Wars series or the prequel movies are not Star Wars, either. They are all a part of the same universe, and each reveals a little more of this fictionary world. And each new story contains something I may like or find interesting that expands and builds on my view of this world. And it's fun to toy around with new ideas. That's creative freedom. Sometimes they work, sometimes it's a miss.

therfiles and Bek like this

Also, I don't like the word "sucks". Summing up and entire project that lasted many years to make by saying that it just "sucks" is not really helping anyone's understanding or showing respect for the artists/creators and their efforts on the work. Every work has its strengths and faults, too. The original Star Wars trilogy had them, too. There are some things that worked really well, and some things that were questionable and flawed.

Just saying that something "sucks" is a very closed-minded response. No work of art (with effort put into it) is all bad.