How to move one map into another map?

Hey,

So I have this pretty large map, and I have another rather small space map. I want to move the space map into the pretty large ground map and utilize teleporters to link them both.

I make a box around the space map and select inside. I save it, import it to my large map and move it to the desired location. All good so far.

But when I compile, I get a bunch of errors with bad normals and when I load the map again in radiant, all the trigger/skyboxes among probably much else that I havent noticed are removed from the space map that I imported.

Is there any way I can prevent this? :S The space map compiles fine otherwise on its own but not when I import it...

Instead of saving and importing your map open two copies of Radiant, one with the larger map and the other with your space map. Draw a brush over your entire space map, select inside, then Edit > Copy or Ctrl + C. Next, go to the other instance of Radiant that you have open with your larger map and Edit > Paste or Ctrl + V. It will paste to the same location in Radiant where it was created, so before you deselect everything zoom out and drag the entire map to where you want it positioned.

I did that now and I still get the same result when compiling..

WARNING: Node With Unbounded Volume

^A ton of those and then a lot of the space part is removed and leaks happen due to it and then I recieve

************ ERROR ************
LoadPortals: couldn't read D:\JK3 MAPPING\GameData\Base\maps\map6.prt

:(

EDIT: pretty much the entire space station is cut in half and a ton is missing :S f....!

What version of the Radiant are you using, and how large is the map?

how do i know how large it is.. do you mean file size or..?

I use 1.5 but I also have 1.4, 1.3,  etc... Tried it with all :S I compile with the Q3map2Gui however as it allows me to fully use my 64 bit OS and gives access to more RAM (otherwise i just get safe malloc errors)

I mean the physical size of the map in Radiant units; how wide it is. See those numbers around the "global" grid that on min zoom shows 0, 16384, 32768, 49152, 65536? Also, the "halved station" and the missing parts, you notice them in Radiant or in-game?

I mean the physical size of the map in Radiant units; how wide it is. See those numbers around the "global" grid that on min zoom shows 0, 16384, 32768, 49152, 65536? Also, the "halved station" and the missing parts, you notice them in Radiant or in-game?

I cant go ingame because it doesnt compile properly. I notice it in radiant because a ton of areas around the space station just vanish after trying to compile them. For example the space map is pretty much a Stardestroyer and inside it is a hangar. Now imagine that stardestroyer having its center piece removed and some chunks here and there. Really bizzare!

RAdiant units, id say its around 16384 to -40960... is that what you mean? I guess I could move it closer a bit.. but does that really matter?

Is there any chance you could try adding the station to the map for me?

@@eezstreet

I'm doing a TEST compile which is just BSP, Fast Vis, No light.. is that what you mean?

I've noticed that Radiant 1.5 brutally cuts EVERYTHING that goes beyond +32768 / -32768. Perhaps that has something to do with your problem. Generally, for wider maps Radiant 1.3 is more tolerant, it allows up to ~ +65536 -65536, perhaps just a little bit less. I don't know exactly how you did it, but if you imported the map (thus breaking the 1.5 size limit), saved it and opened with 1.3 I can see how it remains "cut". Have you tried to import it entirely with 1.3 avoiding the newer version?

I believe I understand the issue now. Is there any way to solve it?

The first 4 squares is the only squares where if I put the map, it saves fine.

If it falls outside of those 4, anything else is deleted. Im talking about this, take a look:

(Inside green bars, saves fine. Outside green bars, saves bad)

https://jkhub.org/images/AgAU0W1.png

Now I have tried my outmost to get the space map into that area but it is impossible because it is simply too big. Is there any way I can make it so ..more squares are "safe" or is it not possible? If not.. can I somehow scale down my map in an easy way..? Or do I have to do it by hand (in which case its not gonna happen ;_ ;)

Here is the full map in radiant (some on the left side is cut due to it falling outside!):

https://jkhub.org/images/QumkIRV.png

The lower left square is the space part that I want to add to the rest of the map :(

EDIT: Just saw this below

I've noticed that Radiant 1.5 brutally cuts EVERYTHING that goes beyond +32768 / -32768. Perhaps that has something to do with your problem. Generally, for wider maps Radiant 1.3 is more tolerant, it allows up to ~ +65536 -65536, perhaps just a little bit less. I don't know exactly how you did it, but if you imported the map (thus breaking the 1.5 size limit), saved it and opened with 1.3 I can see how it remains "cut". Have you tried to import it entirely with 1.3 avoiding the newer version?

I love you Ramikad, I will try this right now

Damnit... 1.3 and 1.4 dont cut the map in the same way after a failure to compile but they do give a bunch of node/plane issues. So basically its the same thing just without it being cut. Does that mean theres no way to go beyond that 4 square limit? :(

Both maps compile fine when done seperately but I just cant for the life of me add them. In GTK1.5, anything outside of 4 squares causes removal of that area. In 1.3 and 1.4, they stay but I still get a ton of node/plane errors.

Is there anyone here that is somewhat familiar with this and knows a work around? Maybe you'd like to try? :(

EDIT: Why the heck would they even give you that many squares if you can just use 4?! This blows!

EDIT: Why the heck would they even give you that many squares if you can just use 4?! This blows!

The real question is why they allowed that much space to be used in 1.3 and 1.4 and restricted it in 1.5...

Anyway, I've read that the "node with unbound volume" can be caused by infinitely large brushes, and those very large brushes on the lower left corner of the image you posted seem "suspect" to me.

At the very worst, if everything else fails you can try to put directly a misc_bsp entity, and set "bspmodel" to the name of the map you tried to import. Basically it puts the finished map into another map, saving any possible import problem, at the cost of not being able to modify them together. Then find out where the teleporters should go, with a little help with /viewpos.

The real question is why they allowed that much space to be used in 1.3 and 1.4 and restricted it in 1.5...

Anyway, I've read that the "node with unbound volume" can be caused by infinitely large brushes, and those very large brushes on the lower left corner of the image you posted seem "suspect" to me.

At the very worst, if everything else fails you can try to put directly a misc_bsp entity, and set "bspmodel" to the name of the map you tried to import. Basically it puts the finished map into another map, saving any possible import problem, at the cost of not being able to modify them together. Then find out where the teleporters should go, with a little help with /viewpos.

Think ill just abandon the idea and keep the maps seperate. Oh well :(

Send it to me and I'll have a go - usually you should be able to move things fine! Exceptions are if you haven't built to the grid or if you dont click within a brush when moving a section, because then you risk resizing it instead of just moving it. Get me via PM

Send it to me and I'll have a go - usually you should be able to move things fine! Exceptions are if you haven't built to the grid or if you dont click within a brush when moving a section, because then you risk resizing it instead of just moving it. Get me via PM

I cant send you any new PMs. It says users cant recieve any more PMs :( Delete some old ones maybe?