Darth Maul - Sith Master

Alright, so, this is obviously a continuation of my older projects involving TCW Maul. I learned a few tricks lately and so today I started retexturing and got off to a pretty good start. Of course, it's always been my dream to see a realistic portrayal of TCW Maul and Mandalorian had the courtesy to take the time to quite literally attach the head of DT's Maul onto the model I'm reskinning. I also hope to add HS robes to the model. Could make for a nice little addition. Lastly, Ruxith thought this incarnation of Maul wasn't as sinister as TPM, so I made him seem darker to give it a more sinister feel.

I'm posting for constructive criticism, advice, and to showcase what I can do.

qJB0IVy.png

Unfortunately, this is an older version of the DT Maul head, but it's all I could work with at the moment. (Will be changed soon.) There are certain defects, like the inside of the mouth is missing and the eye lids stretch awkwardly whenever they close. There's also currently a small gap between the neck and the little collar behind it that shows the inside of the model. (Will be closed up.) But without those defects visible, it looks okay right now. Wouldn't you agree?

As for the skin, I discussed it with eez and he said the legs--both parts--look a little low res. I agree a bit, so I'm going to try to handle that properly. I'm also going to learn how to create metal-ish textures so I can take care of those spots on his gauntlets and on his belt. I'm also gonna learn how to generate glow-ish textures for those lights on the belt, as well as find out how to make shaders work out for that aspect. (May need help.) Those gloves will be changed soon, that's a guarantee. Lastly, I may need @@DT85's help with the body tattoo textures once the new head and its texture are attached to the model. I just want the texture styles to match and he has more experience with that sort of thing than I do.

Hope you like it so far.

P.S. Someone else should take up the job of compiling the model. I know it's a stress on Mandalorian to take time away from his project and it'd be a help to him to relieve him of this burden.

Darth Sion, Cerez, krkarr and 10 others like this

It is a Frankenstein, yes. But I don't think this model really is all that bad. DT85 worked hard on his current Maul and this is the best we can possibly have. :P

Honestly, I think the only authenticating this model would need is a more structured-looking chest and individual gauntlet pads. And a smoother tunic. We probably won't get it, but I think you might end up liking this when it's finished, being the Maul fan that you are. :D

Barricade24 likes this

* I like what you are trying to do here, and of course that I'll download this once it is finished. But the original model was not that good to beginning with, so whatever you do to the model I feel will not be that good either. Anyway, I also know that we will never get a proper model made it from scratch so I hope you can complete what you are trying to do for the sake of all the Maul fans.

* Well, there is something I need to ask you before is too late: It will be possible to keep the old head with all the new changes of the body? Because The cartoon style head doesnt bother me, and I hope you can have the new body with the old head too.

Personally, I don't entirely want to keep the old head, mostly because of its inaccuracy. I mean, it was great for the time it was popular, definitely. But I don't know. Realistic accuracy is my current goal.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind giving you such a version either way but DT85 just generously offered to add what model parts I still need to complete this project, and I'd hate to add more than he can eat on his plate. And I don't know if the original head still works--could be a bit messy. But I'll give it a look and if I can enable it, I suppose I'd be willing to release it as well.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I'm pleased to announce that I've decided to continue where I left off on this project and it is looking way better, super awesome, but I'm not quite ready to post any pics.

The HS Jedi robe is now attached and it looks cool but I need to get an opinion. Would the robe on Toshi's Anakin go better with a realistic TCW Maul model? If so, looking for volunteers to Frankenstein it.

DarthStiv likes this

* So this is basically the same body from the model of Khameir right?  Although the new color looks pretty good the model itself still looks like the old one: http://imgbox.com/g/X81UURWv5d

*  For a realistic Mauldalore what we need is a new WIP model and not a frankenstein skin. The horns of the head are way too small since that head is from the version of Episode 1.

Hey, yea really late post yea yea. What happened to the Khameir model? I cannot find it anywhere now 0.0