Model (Conversion) Request: Ahsoka Tano

I have a special and to me very personal request.

There is a great model of Ahsoka Tano available here, extracted by TRDaz from the Clone Wars Adventures game, that I think would fit perfectly into Jedi Academy:

http://trdaz.deviantart.com/art/SW-Clone-Wars-Adventures-Ahsoka-Tano-S3-Outfit-323055601

The problem is I have very limited experience with modelling, rigging, and such 3D technical operations. I have managed to export the model to a .OBJ file and import it into Autodesk Softimage Mod Tool 7.5, but with a lack of tutorial documentation I am stuck here.

Would an experienced model-maker be interested to help me convert this model (and maybe release it to the public)? TRDaz has also extracted a model of Asajj Ventress that we can convert, too.

While I am inexperienced with modelling, I do have some experience in skinning/texturing and writing shaders.

Vabulletizer likes this

I know re-using a model from another game is shady practice at best, but honestly I will never get to see a good model of Ahsoka in Jedi Academy otherwise. Unless someone is really willing to take it seriously upon themselves to create an authentic Ahsoka model from scratch -- of which I'm doubtful, especially this late into the game's life-span.

I would do this conversion/adaptation myself if I only knew more about model-making. As a newbie, I'm having a real tough time finding clear instructions.

What I keep thinking is that this CWA model could be used as a base/reference for a new design, if someone is willing. The challenge would be matching and exceeding it to look even more like Ahsoka in the show, or a Jedi Academy universe version -- with a more realistic interpretation -- that matches the style of HapSlash's Obi-Wan and Anakin models, for example. That would be a worthy endeavour in my opinion.

But while I'm dreaming, I have a model here that could be used in-game if only I know how to adapt it… >.<'

Come on. Hirman's Ahsoka isn't really all that accurate. In fact, it's rather disquieting. It just doesn't look real. :|

Port or not, someone needs to release a new Ahsoka model at some point or another. What if someone ported this and redid the textures so that they are cleaner? So it's not a full entire port.

Pls port. lel.

Thanks for the support, Palpatine. And the model could (and perhaps should) be tweaked to look better in JK, as well. It would be more an adaptation than a straight-out port, I suppose. If more than 30% is changed, by law it is not considered the same work of art anymore… I think I read that somewhere.

Either way, Ahsoka is not an insignificant character in the Star Wars universe, and I believe the community deserves a good JK model for her. I know I'd love to have one.

Thanks Boothand, yes, I am working through minilogoguy18's tutorial. It's the only one I could find that's closer to detailing the steps I need. Does it eventually explain how to break up / group the model into body parts and rig it to the JA skeleton? Is it the part 2, or the animation video that explains this? (Sorry, my bandwidth here is really limited...)

Edit: But I'm still doubtful whether I can accomplish this on my own. I've never worked with Softimage Mod Tools before… :/

Thanks Boothand, yes, I am working through minilogoguy18's tutorial. It's the only one I could find that's closer to detailing the steps I need. Does it eventually explain how to break up / group the model into body parts and rig it to the JA skeleton? Is it the part 2, or the animation video that explains this? (Sorry, my bandwidth here is really limited...)

Edit: But I'm still doubtful whether I can accomplish this on my own. I've never worked with Softimage Mod Tools before… :/

I think it should cover what you need. If not, maybe you could gather some things from other tutorials, even though it's for other programs. Here's the one I wrote: 

[sharedmedia=tutorials:tutorials:166]

I'm trying, but I'm having a real tough time just understanding the terminology in those videos. They kind of assume that you know what you're doing to begin with… :/

What about this tool? Since the exported model is already rigged to a skeleton, could it get me at least halfway there?

http://jkhub.org/files/file/1945-noesis/

I really don't know how I'm going to do this. I don't want to spend a whole year on learning this… I have other skills I'm better at that I need to work on.

Still, I would love to have a nice JA model of Ahsoka...

*bangs head against the wall*

*whispers* Help??

>.<'

* Well, if someone (and with this I mean Boothand) already ported the Plo Koon model from that same game, he could do the same for Ahsoka too: http://jkhub.org/topic/4077-plo-koon-clone-wars-model-help/

Hey, that's outstanding work! o.O The only thing missing is some shaders and sounds, but I can help there.

Do you think you'll have time for this, Boothand? If you can get the GLM model prepared, I can take care of the skin files, texture adjustments, shaders, sounds, icon, and packaging.

Dumah 11523 likes this

To be honest, I'm already struggling enough to progress on my current projects. It's true I helped him with that other model, but I don't really know why. There turned out to already exist a JK model of it somewhere, I don't like porting, and I had never heard of Plo Koon. I guess it was because he PMed me so much. This is the case with Ahsoka as well, never seen or heard of this character. My interest in TCW is below 0.

There's not so many fast and quick solutions to rigging a model (Noesis doesn't work for that purpose by the way). It takes too much work for what I have time and inspiration to do.

But really, learning the process isn't such a massive undertaking. Look at this thread on lucasforums, from just 2012. I was quite fresh, made some ridiculous models, asked Psyk0Sith a hundred questions, but after not too long I learned how to get the characters in-game and I even got a bit better at modeling. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=209247 (unfortunately, a lot of the pictures have disappeared)

But really, learning the process isn't such a massive undertaking. Look at this thread on lucasforums, from just 2012. I was quite fresh, made some ridiculous models, asked Psyk0Sith a hundred questions, but after not too long I learned how to get the characters in-game and I even got a bit better at modeling. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=209247 (unfortunately, a lot of the pictures have disappeared)

Boothand, that's not entirely fair... You've had a big advantage over my current position: you knew how to model (and work modelling software) to begin with before trying to get things in game. I understand if you just don't have time, but I can't help but feel sad. I was somehow hopeful that with your skills you would come to the rescue.

By the way, you really did a great job on that Plo Koon model, and I don't think it was wasted time. True there is a nice Plo Koon model out there, but it is part of a different set and has an entirely different design.

What makes Ahsoka different is that there isn't a good model of her anywhere in sight, and I don't think there'll ever be in JK unless we do something about it.

I am a fan of the original Star Wars saga myself, and don't like the prequels either, but I do find the animated series interesting. With the LucasFilm/LucasArts buyout and the sudden closure of the animated series, this really is the last chance to have this character move freely in a game.

If that isn't a worthy cause for making/porting a model, I don't know what is.

I did have some knowledge of modeling, but even then there was a lot of basics I didn't know (see picture below for a horrifying flying oviparous animal). The internet has all the information available, and it's not as hard as many people think.

shot0004xp.jpg

If you're simply not interested in modeling etc, I understand that. I'm only one of quite many on this site who are currently able to rig models and get them into game. And in my case:

• I don't have the energy, I already have enough to focus on. Also, I'm already doing another request
  • Porting does not excite me. I enjoy making things from scratch.
  • I don't want to become the guy who always takes these kinds of requests
  • Ahsoka is not an animal/I wouldn't personally enjoy seeing the character in game
  • If enough people in the community want her in-game, someone with motivation will do it :) That is perhaps the best reason why I shouldn't do it, in my opinion.

Other than that, I totally know the feeling of wanting really badly to get something in game. And now that I know how, more or less, I also understand why only some requests are taken, in the sea of requests on this forum.

Futuza, Circa, therfiles and 1 other like this

I cannot made a new model of ashoka, but i pass a years to rig with 3d max all Legacy of kain models for my mod\ conversion...

i know how to rig, weight, adapt etc etc the modesl for JKA, and i can manage this character, if is only for your personal use, it's a ported model. cnanot be uploaed here.

now i am ending a little work about the effects of my mod, after i end, maybe i can help you. i need a pause by the coding\effectis work.

@.@

problem is: 1 you need to convert into 3DS, or GLM, or OBJ format the Ashoka model. because i need to import on 3d max 5.

problem numer 2: and more big: into the exporting the model can lost the Uvmapping, if tha's happened... i cannot help ypu. i cannot remake all uvmapping >.<

it's not a difficult work adapt a model for JKA, if you have the sounds, the textures and the combat files i should rig the ported model. 

Mmm, need also to set into root pose, the root pose of the other game is wrong. JKA has another root pose for the skeleton.

>.<

Cerez likes this

Other than that, I totally know the feeling of wanting really badly to get something in game. And now that I know how, more or less, I also understand why only some requests are taken, in the sea of requests on this forum.

Thanks Boothand. It feels like a waste for me to sit down now and start to learn modelling from scratch only to be able to get this model in-game. It all seems way over my head now. I just want to somehow get this model working decently in-game.

I cannot made a new model of ashoka, but i pass a years to rig with 3d max all Legacy of kain models for my mod\ conversion...

i know how to rig, weight, adapt etc etc the modesl for JKA, and i can manage this character, if is only for your personal use, it's a ported model. cnanot be uploaed here.

now i am ending a little work about the effects of my mod, after i end, maybe i can help you. i need a pause by the coding\effectis work.

@.@

problem is: 1 you need to convert into 3DS, or GLM, or OBJ format the Ashoka model. because i need to import on 3d max 5.

problem numer 2: and more big: into the exporting the model can lost the Uvmapping, if tha's happened... i cannot help ypu. i cannot remake all uvmapping >.<

it's not a difficult work adapt a model for JKA, if you have the sounds, the textures and the combat files i should rig the ported model. 

Mmm, need also to set into root pose, the root pose of the other game is wrong. JKA has another root pose for the skeleton.

>.<

Hi Asgarath83, thanks for entering. I have already exported the model into an OBJ format, and to the best of my knowledge the UV maps have been retained. It seems the textures are not loading in Mod Tools, but that could be just my lack of knowledge with the software. There is already a skeleton rigged to this model, which will first need to be removed/adjusted to match to the JKA skeleton instead.

I will upload the OBJ model in a moment and attach it to this post if I can.

Do you think you can get her mouth moving in-game as well? The model does have the mouth cut properly.

EDIT: I've uploaded the entire resource archive here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/24337815/CWA_Ahsoka_Tano_Season3_Outfit_TRDaz.zip

I've included a reference model sheet as well.

Lamented likes this

Also blood omen 2 models rareley has not a good "mouth" but i can however make a good rig.

i can cut the edge lips and put inside the mouth mesh of some other JKA models for the teeth and tongue. OBJ is a good format, but i really need to check the UVmapping on 3d max.

i need simply to detach the mesh into nine and relative detaching for make the JKA body parts. i can do into 3D max if the model not lose the UVMAP of the texture. i need also, the textures, for convert into a format compatible with JKA, i hope there are not strange numeric format of the textures like 1022x518 XD there are not processed, and can make some issue of UVMapping if i resize.

we need textures in format TGA, JPG, and PNG, if the textures are DDS, modview not read. and JKA too, not support dds, i have a dds converter however. XD i used for ported model of a mmorpg. i think the problem is that.

i not need the skeleton of the other game, JKA have his humanoid skeleton and ONLY it you need to use.

the procedure about make a model compatilbity is:

1: porting JKA skeleton into a max files

2: porting the model

3: size the model upon the JKA skeleton, the skeleton need to be inside the model.

4: move legs and arms positions to the position of JKA skeleton, i need to rotate by same degrees in case of ypur model, sure the legs need 30 degrees rotation

5: detaching the mesh of model into head, torso, l_arm, r_arm, l_hand, r_hand, l_leg, r_leg, hips, part.

6 detach by every mesh 2 caps for the dismembrerment in game. for make a cap: select the edge of a mesh that collime with another mesh, example: the head edge with the torso, face, extrude the edges scale to 0 0 0, you obtain a thin structrure like an "orange" pieces. XD

select the the triangled faces of the caps and detach by body parts. pass to the vertexes selection and delete the central vertex.

copy the cap into a clone, and flip the face of the clone.

about detaching and capping: You CANNOT make a mesh with much of 1000 vertx!!!  and this is the bad part of work. >.<

7 build the hierarchy of the models mesh.

stupidtriangle_off is the parent of skeleton and meshes.

hips is parent legs and torso.

torso is parent of head and arms

every arm is parent of his hand.

8: apply skin and mesh, and for every mesh, set the bones of the skin that animate and deform the mesh.

9 make the weight. you neeed to weight manually EVERY verts of the model. you cannot weight a vertex to more of 4 bones.

10: when weight is end: export into XSI format all the model.

11: convert with carcass.exe of JKA SDK tools, the XSI into a GLM.

12: make the folder of the character on models \ players \ ashura " path and put the GLM and the textures in png \ jpg format.

13: make the skin files.

14: debug of weight issues. .

15: sounds and shaders.

16: And NPC files and a SAB files for the skills of character, the available playermodel cheat and the saber skills

17: a playerchoice.txt file into the mdoel folder of ashura, and the skin files into head_a1, lower_a1, torso_a1, lower_e1, torso_g1.

18: on MENUS.str, add on the first strting Ashura into the list of selectable race and characters.

19: make icon of ashura of icon_default, icon_red, icon_blue

20: Now you add a model available for the SP and MP game.

:)

Ok i imported into 3D max. the uvmapping is fine, i need to fix the pose legs, i already make the scaling and merging with skeleton.

the vertexes limit of 1000 seems to be okay, the head "lekku" of the Togruta race not exceeed of 1000 verts and so i not need to detach, however i will check the vertx number of every meshes for be sure.

PM me when you wnat know how proceed the works. i need a lot of days, but i can weight the model in my free time. :)

However, it's fine. It's possible to work on it. :)