What's Your Favorite Duel From the Films?

Circa

What's Your Favorite Duel From the Star Wars movies?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Duel From the Films?

• Duel of the Fates
    • Count Dooku vs. Anakin, Obi-Wan, & Yoda
    • Count Dooku vs. Anakin & Obi-Wan
    • Obi-Wan vs. General Grievous
    • Mace Windu vs. Palpatine
    • Anakin vs. Obi-Wan
    • Yoda vs. Sidious
    • Darth Vader vs. Ben
    • Luke vs. Darth Vader (Episode V)
    • Luke vs. Darth Vader (Episode VI)

It was a toss-up between Vader vs. Luke and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. They both have a lot of emotion, which makes for amazing duels. Father vs. son, and best friend vs. best friend.

I think Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is my favorite though, because it was both really epic in terms of saber skills and swordsmanship, but I think the emotion there was extremely heavy. They had known each other for almost 15 years at that point. They were best friends. Basically brothers. For Anakin to turn like that and try to kill his own brother is pretty crazy, but the fact that Obi-Wan had to defend himself and potentially kill Anakin is even crazier. And he couldn't do it.

And it kinda looks into what Luke has to go through as well, with the choice to kill his Father. Though he was hoping Vader would return to good, he was essentially going in there to kill him if he didn't. I wonder if Luke would have killed him if Vader hadn't turned.

Not sure if all that makes sense or not. I was in a hurry to write all that down. :P

Cerez and therfiles like this

When vader is taunting luke in Return Of The Jedi, and luke loses it, was the most emotional scene in star wars (Aside from when luke watches the twin suns). 

It is done so well, with the lighting showing half of lukes face is dark and the other has some light on it, representing his vulnerability to the dark side. The actual duel itself was great, it made it the best one in my opinion from the emotion that is present and the music, OH THE MUSIC. Right in the feels.

Cerez and Circa like this

Duel of the Fates.
Huge Darth Maul fan and it all started with THAT duel.
One of the few sith lords to take on more then 1 jedi at a time, and one of the only sith lords to almost kill both.
Seriously, saber through the chest, and seeing that utterly helpless look on Obi's face as Qui-Gon falls.
Of course Maul got over confident, thats why he lost. Too young, too brash.
Not to mention the music.
Oh and the location. Techno reactor style, kind of an homage to RotJ I think.

Circa likes this

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

To me Lucas went wrong after the very first film, and especially wrong in the prequels. I can't imagine anyone wielding a sharp laser-sword like a stick/bo, not to mention jabbing it through doors. It is a laser! It's designed to cut and burn! For this reason the way the sabers are handled in the fight between Vader and Old Ben in the first film comes closest to a realistic image for me.

My favourite moment is when Luke ignites his father's lightsaber for the first time. It's so sudden and feels so dangerous as a weapon because it is. The way he handles it is true to the real image of the sword.

I know the new moves cater to popular taste so much more, but for me a sci-fi movie is about realism.

I'm surprised that Episode III is doing as well as it is. I wish Darth Maul could have had some more time to show off over the following two films. That said, I do much prefer the clash of lightsabers at the end of Return of the Jedi.

The only good thing In Episode 2 was when Yoda fought Dooku and It was kinda impressive for the time. From an ingenious hand puppet to a fully rengered CGI model (For better or for worse.) it was impressive to see Yoda jump around because he was always seen slow or stationary.

I found it funny to watch more than anything. Sorta ruined the picture you had as yoda, as you assumed he needs his walking stick and hover chair, as he is old and crippled, when really he is quite alright with doing complex acrobats while swing a sabre that could easily cut off his ears. Also, "the Force is my ally".

The only good thing in Ep2 was Natalie Portman, 'nuff said