The Hydroball Temple

So I was asked to post screenshots of my new map. It's a Hydroball arena with a twist:

Ntx2n.jpg

Looks pretty normal so far right? Pretty much the classic Hydroball map.

Outside the arena wehave an observation area:

8ROHD.jpg

You can hold your use button to get a speed boost to reach the gates quickly.

Wait a minute, what do those buttons do?

1FcYI.jpg

They change the shape of the arena. This map is effectively several arenas in one. There are a selection of obstacles to make it harder to score, and to change the entire dynamic of the game:

qemue.jpg

QVyAU.jpg

qch3d.jpg

Or any combination of any of that.

I also wrote some music for the map. It switches to the standard Hydroball music when a match is in progress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCYW_3Tk1bE

(It's designed to loop, so ends abruptly)

Link likes this

This level looks very nice. I don't think I'll personally be playing with any obstacles but they're nicely executed (and thankfully optional :lol:) sir.

My original reason for adding the obstacles, was to make it harder to score from the opposite end of the field, which meant you could score without ever needing to pass. However, I also made the arena longer than usual, so the ball won't travel all the way along it. My goal in making this map was to make Hydroball require some kind of teamwork, as well as breaking the format a bit so that you can have different types of games by using the obstacles.

My original reason for adding the obstacles, was to make it harder to score from the opposite end of the field, which meant you could score without ever needing to pass. However, I also made the arena longer than usual, so the ball won't travel all the way along it. My goal in making this map was to make Hydroball require some kind of teamwork, as well as breaking the format a bit so that you can have different types of games by using the obstacles.

We can agree to disagree on all of this.

Make one you like. Then we'll just have more options to play with when we do finally get to play hydroball. I'll be pleased to play again in general. =)

If you still want to know my personal reasons:

I don't like the idea of obstacles really because I think they'll just end up getting in the way of the matches and limiting them (there's a reason why other sports don't have obstacles--barring laser tag/paintball). Plus, I don't really agree with the idea that it should be harder anyway... You made them optional though, so that's fine. Lengthening the field, I think, is just going to lead to really long, drawn out (and possibly dull) matches. That's just my guess. We won't be able to see until we actually play human vs. human. The protrusions on the floor and ceiling are there for aesthetics I would imagine, but I also think they could end up being a hindrance to play.

That's just my opinion. Make your map to suit your desired play-style. Then we'll settle it on the court, yo! ::bling-face::

Make your map to suit your desired play-style. Then we'll settle it on the court, yo! ::bling-face::

OOOOOOOR I could add a button which smooths off the protrusions, and find a way to shorten/lengthen the field =P

Edited by MUG

OOOOOOOR I could add a button which smooths off the protrusions, and find a way to shorten/lengthen the field =P

Just let the button clip the floor perhaps. Let me know if you can find a way to deactivate/activate the goals, or move them. That could be a useful bit of information.

Let me know if you can find a way to deactivate/activate the goals, or move them. That could be a useful bit of information.

Yeah, that's the bit I am trying to work out xD

You can have more than one goal right?

If anyone got a hydroball II server and would like a 1v1 , lemme know :)

I love this gamemode. My Hydroball name: BlitzAce

This map looks like a map I have played on a long, long time ago :)

Edited by Akimoto
It's quiddich, essentially :P

Other than the fact that there is a ball and you can move in 3 dimensions, its nothing like Quiddich =P.

You, sir, are a mapping genius. Can't wait to take part in a game of quid.... hydroball... on this map!

<3 Yeah, we just need someone to set up a server.

If you add several goals it is :P xD

Dammit, I didn't want to do this, but now I need to explain every reason why hydro ball is nothing like Quiddich, because the nerd in me wont let this pass xD

First off, there are the extra goals you mentioned. Additionally, in Quiddich, you cannot dive at another player and tackle them causing them to drop the ball, nor are you allowed to punch them xD. There are 4 balls in Quiddich, two of which fly around trying to attack players, as such, there are two players on each team WITH BATS who attempt to smash them at other players. In Hydroball you win by scoring a certain number of goals. In Quiddich, another special player has to catch another special ball to end the game. Don't make me go on, i feel nerdy enough as it is T_T.

Frankly, Hydroball is closer to basketball than Quiddich.

Edited by MUG