are YOU interested in a trick-jumping mod?

I'm the worst coder that sits in the #jacoders IRC channel, but I still want something to code, I'm here to ask the common populace...

Are you interested in a trick-jumping mod? It would be heavily based upon the DeFRaG mod for Quake 3 Arena, including Timers, Scores, UPS display, CPMA movement cvar.

That said, if you are and I decide there is enough interest in it, don't expect it too soon, since I am a slow and terrible coder that must learn while I code, that involves slowness.

Just talk to anyone from #jacoders (Xycaleth, Eezstreet, Scooper, Raz0r) and they'll tell you how terrible I am.

AND THAT IS WHY I MUST LEARN BY CREATING A MOD.

Don't know what DeFRaG is? There's tons of videos of people doing runs alongside music, here's one:

What's with this guy bunnyhopping everywhere?

This is strafejumping, a trick that requires much mastery, it came from the Quake 1 days and has been carried along on the engine ever since, it still exists even in Jedi Academy.

It allows you to gain amazing speed, but it requires amazing precision with mouse movement.

Edited by Astral Serpent

Yes please create some kind of cpma!

Btw it's still me who's the worst coder of #jacoders!

If you want we can work together on that... I was working on something called "Jedi Knight Pro Mode", which isn't too far from what you're going for..

I hope you're not trolling and you're actually like teh bestest coder of teh time

Edited by afiNity
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There's already a mod for this lol. It's an underdeveloped mod called "spinmod", though I'm not sure if there are any public downloads for it. Also, if you're not very knowledgeable of the actual strafe physics of quake 3 then I would leave this task to someone else, because a lot of pro-level strafers such as myself will not appreciate it if you screw up strafing haha.

edit: and if you're trying to find something to start with in your coding endeavors, I wouldn't start with strafe physics. they're quite a bit more complicated than most people realize.

As the creator/coder of "spinmod": I encourage anyone who wants to make a mod like this to go right ahead. Spinmod was a very quick project, and is exploitable because it doesn't include common bug fixes. It would be nice to see someone more serious/passionate about the genre create a proper mod for it, I wasn't interested enough to do it properly =)

Either way, I'm not trying to discourage this at all, I'm just trying to emphasize that if you want people to take an interest in your mod, you'll want to make sure you pay attention to the details. If you can build off of the original idea of spinmod and create something more practical for servers to actually use then that would be fantastic.

My quote from my previous post was about the cpma-code.

As I told you I didn't know this xonotic project and how should I know that it uses the CPMA movement?

CPMA is NOT opensource, if anything maybe the movement-code is open-source.

Also I wonder why people want to create a pro mode for xonotic with cpma-movement, when there's already cpma-movement in that game.

http://forums.xonoti...hread-3271.html

Also judging from the gameplay, the movement feels really different than the one from cpma.

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to Xonotic, the XPM/Xonotic Promode they want is more to do with item balance (tiered armors, timing)

The default Xonotic movement is close to CPM physics, but there are some differences. Osiris was suggesting it be tweaked in XPM to better match CPM.

Some of the CPM code was released, and that has found its way into many projects.

Xonotic also has some QuakeWorld and Warsow movement code (or perhaps a reimplementation)

And I trust Astral to stay true to well-known strafing and trick-jumping - I play DeFRaG with him almost daily.

afi likes this

As the creator/coder of "spinmod": I encourage anyone who wants to make a mod like this to go right ahead. Spinmod was a very quick project, and is exploitable because it doesn't include common bug fixes. It would be nice to see someone more serious/passionate about the genre create a proper mod for it, I wasn't interested enough to do it properly =)

I'll talk to you on IRC about getting that source code off you, in my opinion it'd be a nice base if you'd give me permission. I'd change the name though, "spinmod" brings 'meat' and 'spin' to mind for some reason.

Also, if you're not very knowledgeable of the actual strafe physics of quake 3 then I would leave this task to someone else, because a lot of pro-level strafers such as myself will not appreciate it if you screw up strafing haha.

edit: and if you're trying to find something to start with in your coding endeavors, I wouldn't start with strafe physics. they're quite a bit more complicated than most people realize.

To quote Raz0r, I often play DeFRaG at least 2 hours a day, you can rest assured I won't ruin your precious physics.

And I trust Astral to stay true to well-known strafing and trick-jumping - I play DeFRaG with him almost daily.

Anyway, I'll be basing a lot of things off DeFRaG, since I play it often and love it.

This both gives me the opportunity to try new challenges and do things DeFRaG doesn't do that I want.

for example, permanent server-side score saving, rather than per session.

There are also as few DeFRaG features I'll probably eat my own tongue trying to implement, but I'm sure I'd get a lot of experience from it.

Just a sidenote, I dabbled a little in the JKA SDK since I created this thread and I feel a bit more comfortable in it =D

yeah id definately be interested in a trickjumping mod, i know a bunch of us in the ctf community would definately be interested.

list of things that could be changed:

-blaster rifle to have splash damage for similar thing to plasma climbing

-make detbacks blow up faster so you could do detback jumps

-weapon switch faster

-knockback of the rocket would need to be increased as climbing up a wall with the current rocket is impossible

another little idea, make it so you can jump off of your own rockets in a similar way you can with other peoples.

yeah id definately be interested in a trickjumping mod, i know a bunch of us in the ctf community would definately be interested.

list of things that could be changed:

-blaster rifle to have splash damage for similar thing to plasma climbing

-make detbacks blow up faster so you could do detback jumps

-weapon switch faster

-knockback of the rocket would need to be increased as climbing up a wall with the current rocket is impossible

another little idea, make it so you can jump off of your own rockets in a similar way you can with other peoples.

I'll be looking into the Q3 source code for such things and probably take how things work directly from there to avoid any issues.

Detpack jumping sounds interesting, I might look into it, but it sounds 'unskillful' in one way or another to be able to line up a few detpacks wherever you want and get easy boosting.

Sure, it would be limited to what the map gives you, but then there's freestyle maps.

Not sure what you mean by the jumping off rockets idea.

I'll be looking into the Q3 source code for such things and probably take how things work directly from there to avoid any issues.

Detpack jumping sounds interesting, I might look into it, but it sounds 'unskillful' in one way or another to be able to line up a few detpacks wherever you want and get easy boosting.

Sure, it would be limited to what the map gives you, but then there's freestyle maps.

Not sure what you mean by the jumping off rockets idea.

Well, you can interact with rockets fired by other people, i.e. use it as a platform to strafe off of.

As far as maps goes, the ctf community has a very good mapper who im sure would be interested in making maps.

• 2 weeks later...