Hex Editing Models

Go to solution Solved by Raz0r,

I want to change the texture path for certain models (saber models in this instance), which apparently can be done by merely editing the path in the file with either a hex editor or text editor.

I've always had issues with this, and I'm curious why. It seems I'm the only one that can't do this successfully most of the time. (it works about 25% of the time).

I've used a hex editor and 2 different text editors. Same results. Also, same on Windows as Mac.

I always get something similar to this error in ModView:

940t.png

therfiles likes this

I had a chat on #JACoders about this, what they said iirc (which worked for me) was that as long as the length of the name(s) you're changing stay the same, it shouldn't cause any problems. Out of curiosity, what model's path are you trying to change?

Length is not an issue, it's always a fixed 64 characters maximum, as long as you don't exceed that you should be good. But why don't you use a .skin file for texture changes?

Looks like you changed some other value besides the texture paths in the model though, maybe you didn't overwrite the bytes but inserted some?

If it's of any help, here is the file format definition for glm.

Oh, I got Ninja'd.

Circa likes this

Out of curiosity, what model's path are you trying to change?

My personal saber hilts that Kahn D'halaine and 1shotdoctor created for me, way back when. They named them "ibonek" and I don't go by that name anymore. :P Working on my personal skin.

@@Raz0r's post takes the cake. Instead of 0x00 it was just 00 for my editor, but that was pretty simple to figure out after your point. Works great now, thanks!  :winkthumb:

Omicron likes this