Do you use OpenJK?

Xycaleth

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use OpenJK?

Out of curiosity, I want to see how many people here are using OpenJK :) If you're feeling generous, please answer the following questions as well!

Questions for those who answered No:

1. If you don't use OpenJK, why not?
    I'm looking for something along the lines of, "couldn't find the download" or "couldn't get it to run", or "don't see any reason to use it". Obviously you can come up with your own answer though :)

Questions for those who answered Yes:

1. How did you find out about OpenJK?
  2. How difficult was it to get OpenJK working?
  3. Do you know anybody who isn't on JKHub and uses OpenJK?
  4. What would you change (if anything)?

Yes.

1. Found out about OpenJK on #jacoders after the source was released

2. I'm a developer...

3. No

4. Easier way to distinguish whether the basejka or OpenJK game DLLs are running. Maybe not require +set fs_game OpenJK if you want to use the OpenJK game DLLs by default.

1. I think I heard about it on JKHub for the first time. 

2. It wasn't difficult at tall. Copying the necessary files then modify a bat file to run the game with OpenJK and the desired modification.

3. I think in my clan there are people who are using OpenJK but I'm not sure if they are on JKHub or not.

4. To be honest nothing. I'm satisfied with this 'version' of JKA. 

Shadzy likes this

No.

I just haven't bothered with trying to figure out how to get it working properly. I'm on Mac, so that makes it a little more difficult. Though I haven't had much time to play, and I'm more of a SP modder/player anyway.

I know a few people that aren't on JKHub in various clans or used to be in clans that use it.

I think there should really be a main stable release on JKHub for the majority of people that don't want to dig for it and figure out how to set it up.

tl;dr  More people would probably use it if it was simpler to use.

Nick00105 likes this

Yes I do.

1. How did you find out about OpenJK?   Thru the hub.
  2. How difficult was it to get OpenJK working?  I had a little difficulty figuring out the dll setup, it was in the ojk folder rather than the base.
  3. Do you know anybody who isn't on JKHub and uses OpenJK? No I don't really know anyone outside of jkhub that plays.
  4. What would you change (if anything)? I don't think i would change anything, just add more features or, add a list of changes along with an installer. 

I'd like to thank the coders for their hard work, It has been noticed and appreciated. Please keep on coding. I'd like to see rend2 be fully realised. I don't think I'd go back to using jk with out ojk. Good work.

Aye.

1. Found out from the news of the src code release, and from lurking on JACoders irc

2. A bit annoying, as for some reason it didn't like being introduced to about 400 pk3s at once, and sometimes it would break when installing new versions (fixed 99% of the time by deleteing My Games folder)

3. Aye

4. Add more chat/name colour codes

1. I think I heard about it on JKHub for the first time. 

2. It wasn't difficult at tall. Copying the necessary files then modify a bat file to run the game with OpenJK and the desired modification.

3. I think in my clan there are people who are using OpenJK but I'm not sure if they are on JKHub or not.

4. To be honest nothing. I'm satisfied with this 'version' of JKA. 

No. 

I tried to install it when it when I learned about the builds, but it was too difficult for me. Now I'm waiting for a version 1 when there will be a proper readme. 

I am really looking forward to using it though! All the sp fixes I read about are fantastic! Good job to all those involved!

Been lurking for awhile.. finally decided to register and post.

No, I don't use it.

I don't use it simply because I barely play on basejka maps, and the maps I play on like Ord Mantell, Taris RP etc all have broken textures when I use it. I've read about the issue and it doesn't look like it's going to be fixed, but if it is, I'll be sure to give it a go since while it doesn't suit me because of said issue, I would recommend it to people who use basejka maps as it's a big improvement on regular JAMP in terms of features, performance and so on.

1. How did you find out about OpenJK?  No idea, I've forgotten, probably eezstreet sent me a link in #JKGalaxies irc.
  2. How difficult was it to get OpenJK working?  2/10  (Where 10 is really hard to get it to work).
  3. Do you know anybody who isn't on JKHub and uses OpenJK?  Some people from JKGalaxies, since technically they're using it.  But other then that, no.
  4. What would you change (if anything)? I believe a simple self-install package for major stable releases, would probably make it more popular and accessible to the public.  Regular users like to be able to just click on something and have it work.  More completion of rend2 would be great!

JKG Developer

Been lurking for awhile.. finally decided to register and post.

No, I don't use it.

I don't use it simply because I barely play on basejka maps, and the maps I play on like Ord Mantell, Taris RP etc all have broken textures when I use it. I've read about the issue and it doesn't look like it's going to be fixed, but if it is, I'll be sure to give it a go since while it doesn't suit me because of said issue, I would recommend it to people who use basejka maps as it's a big improvement on regular JAMP in terms of features, performance and so on.

Mind chiming in on this in a separate post or possibly on the issue that you read about on?  Presumably related to https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/issues/271 ?

@Futuza's questions

1. I found out from lurking on #JACoders iirc, or from when the src got released, and it was announced somewhere, not really sure tbh

2. 7.5/10 I had to remove all my mods the first time, and occasionally stuff broke when I messed up the installation, but now I find it works fine for me every time I install a new version.

3. Yes, a few people in JAWA do.

4. A self installer/updater/launcher (like JKG's) would be quite good.

@Futuza's questions

1. I found out from lurking on #JACoders iirc, or from when the src got released, and it was announced somewhere, not really sure tbh

2. 7.5/10 I had to remove all my mods the first time, and occasionally stuff broke when I messed up the installation, but now I find it works fine for me every time I install a new version.

3. Yes, a few people in JAWA do.

4. A self installer/updater/launcher (like JKG's) would be quite good.

You've already answered these questions from the original post :blink:

Circa, Omicron, Raz0r and 2 others like this

yes i do use openjk

i found out about it when looking up if some of my windows games would run on wine

it was easy to install once someone from i think it was the openjk irc helped me

no i dont know anyone else thats using it

what i would change is to be able to install openjk by a script

Yes

1. Was on JAcoders pretty much when then source came out

2. Was a little difficult early on, but that was before I figured out cmake

3. No

4. Merged renderers for MP/SP, ghoul2 viewmodels, needs more rend2

Omicron likes this

Yes

1. Was on JAcoders pretty much when then source came out

2. Was a little difficult early on, but that was before I figured out cmake

3. No

4. Merged renderers for MP/SP, ghoul2 viewmodels, needs more rend2

Doesn't everything need more rend2 though?