JKA and Windows 8

Go to solution Solved by eezstreet,

Ok...so I'm running into an issue with getting JA+ and UU to work with JKA. The game itself works perfectly but anytime I try to launch JKA through UU or launch JA+ either by launching it in game or launching it through the shortcut, it crashes in the boot screen. I have no idea why it's doing this.

I doubt the issue is a specs problem but if it is, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel i3 Dual Core 4010U @ 1.7GHz

RAM: 4 GB

Graphics Chip: Intel HD Graphics 

Now, I do wonder if it's the 64-bit OS that's causing the problem, however I don't know how I would be able to know for sure.

As I said earlier, the game by itself works without issue. The issue is anytime I try launching JA+ or using UU to open JKA it will crash. Can anyone help me figure out what the issue is?

By the boot screen, I assume you mean the Jedi Academy splash screen?

Yes, it appears then I get a "Stopped Working" error

Also, be sure to run as administrator (set jamp.exe's compatibility to do this)

I'll try doing that as soon as I get home. Though it isn't the actual jamp.exe file that doesn't work properly, but the japlus.exe file which is causing problems. I'll see if changing the compatibility to 32-bit will work though

• Solution

Problem isn't the OS, it's more likely that the fault lies with graphics cards/admin rights. Intel HD cards aren't really that great in general; they tend to have poor compatibility with both older and newer methods of rendering. Also, Windows 7 and 8 are both pretty much on-par in terms of compatibility, they both introduce the concept of admin rights which Unix & friends have had for years..

Shadzy likes this
  • 2 months later...

I am actually having such a problem myself. My littlebrother has a Celeron computer, with Intel HD Graphics, and Windows 8.1... and I have patched up Jedi Outcast, and it still crashes on startup. I've updated the drivers - but it still won't work. Can someone help me please? Thanks in advance.

The problem is your graphics driver has too many extensions for the game so it crashes when trying to print them all into a buffer that won't fit.

This isn't an issue with OpenJK engine.  But only JASP and JAMP are supported out of the box.

Allright. Is there any kind of fix for this? A patch or something?

There is no actual patch for the regular games.  However:

You have several options, some of which you may not like :P.

Are you intending to play Jedi Academy single player/ multiplayer?

(If yes)

The others are:

• Downgrade to an older graphics card that doesn't have so many extensions.
  • Switch graphics card vendors (ie: go from AMD to nVidia) as some nVidia drivers have a hack for jasp.exe and jamp.exe that works around the crash IIRC.
  • Find a copy of the original Jedi Academy source GPL release that isn't modified like ours is, and fix the issue yourself.

(If no, and you want Jedi Outcast)

• There is WIP support for Jedi Outcast Single Player, but you must build it yourself because we do not turn it on in the automated builds.
  • No Multi Player support at all for OpenJK's JO yet.

I, erm, do use HD Graphics. No problem at all. I also use a 64 bit system. I also am using Windows 8. Running as Administrator, no compatibility mode(Though feel free to use it if you must), and copying the entire JKA Folder to the Desktop if nothing else works seems to do the trick :P

Then again, OpenJKA is so much better. Give him to the dark side of JKA Coders. They have cookies and milk.