NPC Replacement failure

Go to solution Solved by AshuraDX,

So I was getting ready to film a cutscene for use in my film group, the Dosuun cutscenes with Rax Jorris...

I've played lots of mods that swap around which models are used for specific NPC's and I've even, far in the past, made a few myself...

For cutscene purposes, getting the NPC file to point to the model you want to use is supposed to be enough. I tried that, but the game defaults back to the original models. I took it a step further and made the models/players/rax_joris and saboteur folders and loaded them up with the characters I wanted to be using, but that didn't work either. No matter what I do, it just defaults back to the original characters.

I feel like I'm missing something rudimentary, something basic, but I don't know what it is. Anyone have some tips?

Either they aren't in the base folder, or are being loaded before the assets PK3's. It loads alphabetically, so if a file is named with a number or symbol, or starts with AR, it'll need to be renamed to come after assets.

Either they aren't in the base folder, or are being loaded before the assets PK3's. It loads alphabetically, so if a file is named with a number or symbol, or starts with AR, it'll need to be renamed to come after assets.

I experimented with that a bit... The default file name starts with Re, but I even did a version that started with Z_re to get it to load later. Toward the end I included npc files pointing to the proper models as well as model file pathways over-writing the originals with the models I wanted, but neither worked.

say... are you using winrar to make your pk3's ? if so make sure that you set your winrar to output .zip and not .rar archives

I always use pakscape to save directly into .pk3. I've done a fair share of skins and vehicle mods, adding additional content into the game has never gone bad for me, it's just this replacement that isn't working.

EDIT:

But wouldn't you know it? You were in the ballpark... The file had been saved as a zip instead of a pk3 despite pakscape being set to pk3, so the game couldn't see it. Renaming it fixed it the issue and everything is as it should be. Thank you for getting me to the sollution!

I never would have guessed that was the issue. :P

I kept on missing it too... Whenever I get a new computer or install windows, one of the first things I do is run a .dll executable that lets me see into pk3's as if they were zips, since that's what they are. The only down side is that when looking in the base folder, they are indistinguishable from one another. I just happened to have filetype extensions visible for dealing with some videos and went through base and lo and behold, there was the problem. I'll be sure to check that a lot sooner from now on. Thank you both for your help!