Reason to use guns

Pfff, Saberists are so easy to beat with guns. You just load them full of shots when they start to slash at you. Better yet just use the bowcaster primary fire which can't be deflected back at you and does like 50 damage.

Bowcaster primary can't even hit people. And I'm pretty sure it can be reflected back, and is quite dangerous as it does a whopping 50 damage if it manages to reflect in any way, not just from sabers, but from stuff like glass too. Bowcaster secondary is very dangerous to use in close quarters because of this.

Yes, I like these ideas, with the exception of reloading the rocket launcher between shots. I think something more akin to Quake would be better, a sort of multi-rocket magazine (if you look at the model, this sorta makes sense).

With the AI, we can make them flee if they get a detpack on them, which would make it more fun/interesting. :) Maybe holding the primary fire button throws them farther? I always had a gripe with how far trip mines/detpacks get tossed.

With updated weapon models, the first person will be better, and since we have code for GLM view models, the reloading anim being done in first person is a possibility.

Perhaps style the rocket launcher to be more like the one from the original jedi knight? Was such a cool gun.

Hi.

Jedi Master difficulty.

Bye.

And the difference between Jedi Master and Jedi Knight difficulty except for HP and Shields is?

Bowcaster primary can't even hit people. And I'm pretty sure it can be reflected back, and is quite dangerous as it does a whopping 50 damage if it manages to reflect in any way, not just from sabers, but from stuff like glass too. Bowcaster secondary is very dangerous to use in close quarters because of this.

Yes it can. And no, you can't deflect primary fire, at least in one of the games, JK2 or JA, and I'm assuming it was both of them. It cannot be deflected back at you, does ridiculously high damage = eats reborn for breakfast. Secondary fire can be deflected back at you of course, but not the underused primary fire ;)

Let's not go so far as to remove the blasters.

I'm against the whole idea of limited weapon pickups that modern games use. I like having a full arsenal to play with. Picking up new guns/blasters and more ammo was the equivalent of leveling up in fps for years. I don't really want to see it go.

I also don't think we should remove blasters for 2 reasons:

1. Some maps (and user made maps) require blasters. Removing them could/would cause issues.

2. It would conflict with how some of use want to play. Mandalorian says he uses them with his base game, and I like to rp a character who uses guns and such on occasion. Why mod a feature out when people that don't like them just don't have to use them?

We aren't getting rid of the guns. It was just a thought I had, of limiting the use of them in the SP campaign. You'd still be able to use them and could still get them via console, but I think starting out with just a saber and a blaster pistol for each mission and then picking up guns along the way would make more sense than a Jedi carrying around this huge arsenal of weaponry with him that would be a lot for even a heavy weapons soldier.

• 3 weeks later...

For my mod I basically decided I think the weapon select screen should be replaced with inventory select. 

In JA, you're not a mercenary, but a Jedi. I figure a lightsaber and blaster pistol are enough, and rather you get to pick equipment like seeker drones, sentry guns, bacta tanks, etc. Maybe at the most you could take 1 extra weapon with you.

Then like Circa said you actually have to raid weapons and find them during missions, which I think would be more fun anyway. In JK2 Kyle is more of a mercenary armed-to-the-teeth type anyway but JA I feel is a little different. I'm not advocating limited inventory or anything, but just that you start with equipment rather than all these weapons and rather have to find them.

Setlec and Circa like this

That fits with the Jedi theme really well. I sometimes like to rp a soldier, merc, cop, or such being trained as a Jedi. I can always just use cheats or npc files to give my character blasters. 

So I'd still like to see an improvement to blasters for the player.

Circa and Setlec like this

That fits with the Jedi theme really well. I sometimes like to rp a soldier, merc, cop, or such being trained as a Jedi. I can always just use cheats or npc files to give my character blasters. 

So I'd still like to see an improvement to blasters for the player.

Right, I think there will still be improvement, but not the focus for the player. At least for JA. The improvements will be for both JA and JK2, but with guns more rare to find and use. 

So for the SP campaign experience, it's more "Jedi-like" but if you are wanting to play around and RP as a different character with cheats and other mods, you can.

Setlec likes this

I thought the whole point of playing kyle/jaden was that you weren't entirely focused on saber play.  Even if I do play it that way sometimes, its still somewhat silly to say well Canon in movies so must be canon here too.

My biggest thing with weapons is that going against jedi enemies in Academy they become all but useless since they have 99% perfect ability to push everything/most things or dodge snipers.  Not sure if fixing this is a good thing but I guess you'd have to compensate elsewhere to keep balance of hardness.

eezstreet likes this

I thought the whole point of playing kyle/jaden was that you weren't entirely focused on saber play.  Even if I do play it that way sometimes, its still somewhat silly to say well Canon in movies so must be canon here too.

My biggest thing with weapons is that going against jedi enemies in Academy they become all but useless since they have 99% perfect ability to push everything/most things or dodge snipers.  Not sure if fixing this is a good thing but I guess you'd have to compensate elsewhere to keep balance of hardness.

Right, we aren't focusing only on saber play. If anything we would just be making it a little more challenging by removing the ability to stock up on an arsenal of weapons before every mission, and rather find them in the level itself. It's not only about being "canon" because if it was, we'd eliminate gun pickup completely, which I don't think that would be fun or even realistic.

Jedi would know how to improvise and be willing to. I think sometimes we view Obi-Wan's opinion of blasters in the movies as all Jedi's opinions of them, and that's not the case.

But I don't think they would fill every nook and cranny with a weapon before going out on a mission that usually is just a "Hey Luke told us to check this situation out" sort of thing, rather than a full out army to army battle. In JK2 this is more understandable since he's a deadly mercenary, but for a Jedi padawan, probably not.

You really can't stock up that much,  You get to choose 2 primaries and 1 explosive iirc?  The weapons are usually placed there for the enemy depending on mission anyway.  We as the player have the benefit of taking them.

Saber, blaster pistol, 2 primaries, and an explosive. So yes. Maybe it's not that much compared to what you end up with but then add the rest of the weapons you pick up in the level, that's a lot. If we remove the ability to select the 2 primaries and an explosive, it might seem a little more balanced as well.

I see that the interest for this feature is quite split, so I'm sure we would have a toggle for it. Or involve it in one of the "custom game" modes.

therfiles likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

And the difference between Jedi Master and Jedi Knight difficulty except for HP and Shields is?

Enemies do more damage and have more health. There are fewer pickups in the world. Enemies spawned may be of higher level (e.g. a Reborn Acrobat may turn into a Fencer or Boss). Enemies shoot and think faster. Enemies use push/pull much more aggressively. Puzzles are harder to solve. Crosshair changing to force use doesn't work. Enemies are much more accurate. Saber-wielding enemies gain aggression quicker and have a higher force regeneration rate.

(just off the top of my head)

• 2 months later...

Enemies do more damage and have more health. There are fewer pickups in the world. Enemies spawned may be of higher level (e.g. a Reborn Acrobat may turn into a Fencer or Boss). Enemies shoot and think faster. Enemies use push/pull much more aggressively. Puzzles are harder to solve. Crosshair changing to force use doesn't work. Enemies are much more accurate. Saber-wielding enemies gain aggression quicker and have a higher force regeneration rate.

(just off the top of my head)

Just wanted to set this straight. Looking in the assets1.pk3 in the menu files, Jedi Master in JA DOES use g_spskill 2, which is the same as Jedi Knight difficulty. Check it if you don't believe me. The only change is handicap is set to 50 instead of 100. I wouldn't be surprised if the same is so for JK2, however I don't have JK2 installed atm so I can't check.

Well, Wookieepedia says that Jaden carried a DL-44 heavy blaster pistol along with his lightsaber, and would occasionally use other kinds of weaponry (likely picked up during missions).

Not sure about Kyle, though. Did he still carry his Bryar pistol during the events of JO (once he re-obtained his lightsaber) and JA?

IMO the amount of guns the player can carry should be limited, and visible on the body at all times (as opposed to being hidden in "inventory"). Some guns (like FC-1 flechette launcher) should only be available to be carried in hands and dropped on the ground upon weapon change.

I would actually love to see a "canon" edition (perhaps something controlled via CVAR?) of JA, with correct Jaden's appearance, saber hilts/colors, etc.

Well, Wookieepedia says that Jaden carried a DL-44 heavy blaster pistol along with his lightsaber, and would occasionally use other kinds of weaponry (likely picked up during missions).

Not sure about Kyle, though. Did he still carry his Bryar pistol during the events of JO (once he re-obtained his lightsaber) and JA?

IMO the amount of guns the player can carry should be limited, and visible on the body at all times (as opposed to being hidden in "inventory"). Some guns (like FC-1 flechette launcher) should only be available to be carried in hands and dropped on the ground upon weapon change.

I would actually love to see a "canon" edition (perhaps something controlled via CVAR?) of JA, with correct Jaden's appearance, saber hilts/colors, etc.

Yes, Kyle continued using his Bryar.

You can actually see him use it during your mission over at Byss.

I know this isn't completely related, but I can't help but mention that the thermal dets are wayyyyy to big, same thing with the mines, they are at least the size of a small basketball.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...