Map optimization

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Q3map2 seems to segment your brushes according to the vertex points of neighboring brushes, making a lot more faces than expected. My question is - is it really necessary?

Does this happen so that it will merge on all points and be properly shaded (goes a bit against my logic in this case), or could it just as well have only triangulized it the way its set up in GtkRadiant, and let vertices of neighboring brushes stay for themselves?

In GtkRadiant:

gtkradiantSegs.png

In game:

IngameSegs.png

• Solution

It's necessary, called t-junctions. There's a Q3Map2 switch, -notjunc or some such, to disable it, but that can lead to visual anomalies. The reason are rounding errors in interpolating the edges, leading to 1-pixel-wide gaps between trianges, like so.

Boothand likes this
  • 4 weeks later...

Rather then using the -notjunc switch, it is also possible to devise a shader script for the required texture(s). That way, your map will compile normally with the necessary t-junctions enabled except for the area's where you have applied the shader.

Signature.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KENNITHH

Srry if Im screwing with your topic but Ive got a question about optimizing too..

Ive heard and seen that people add huge blocks of caulk inside of buildings, then you see the z-fighting (flikkering textures in radiant) but does it really help? Or should I just stretch a wall so everything becomes 1 mass without having to add a huge (only) caulk brush inside the building?

As I guess its just for making the vis easier