[Solved] Clumsy 3rd Person Movement & Aiming Fix

I feel like in JK2 (and likely in JKA, can't remember), the movement is especially clumsy when in 3rd person and makes it really hard to shoot stuff due to the crosshair jumping around like crazy. Could it be made for your character to always stick to the center of the screen as opposed to being moved by WASD presses? Not sure how I want the crosshair to be. Perhaps stuck in the center as well? I know the targetting works differently from other 3rd person shooters, but can something be done about it?

It's for SP (mainly JK2, but JKA would be appreciated as well).

Boothand and Angel Soul like this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

thirdpersoncameradamp exists. Use it. That's how I make 2nd person cameras. You can make the camera much tighter.

It doesn't help much. The character seems to be moved less to the direction I'm moving in with cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 0.5, but when I stay in one place and turn around, the crosshair is not in the center.

the movement is especially clumsy when in 3rd person and makes it really hard to shoot stuff due to the crosshair jumping around like crazy.

For Jedi Academy, the console command to stick the crosshair in the middle of the screen is /cg_dynamicCrosshair 0   

This will perfectly show the middle of your screen, then just change the size and shape via console and you're ready to play.

If you want to mess around with the camera position ingame, write /cg_thirdPerson to console, and it will give you multiple commands to tweak the view.

Horizontal Offset and Vertical Offset  etc.  You can have the camera view from the left or right side of the players shoulder, a very common option in modern games.

The problem with "fixing" the crosshair is that the crosshair would no longer be where your shot would end up. You would just have a thing that shows you where the centre of your screen is.

Can't it be done so that the camera is rotated to where the crosshair is, keeping it in the center? Right now when you move your mouse, your character turns along with the crosshair, but the camera lags behind. This shouldn't involve cases where the crosshair is slightly off due to certain objects in front of you.

And I really need this for JK2 as well. It would make the game that much more comfortable to play...

• 8 months later...

Okay, the following cvars "fix" this in JA (relevant for both SP and MP). Don't have JK2 installed so can't test.

cg_thirdPersonCameraDamp 1
cg_thirdPersonTargetDamp 1

Be sure to try this out if you haven't already. It makes movement and aiming so much better, as the character snaps to the center of the screen upon movement and is always focused on it (prevents crosshair from jumping around the screen and in SP prevents the character from moving from the center of your camera).

Props to MB2 forum members.