Missions and Scripts

That would be really cool, but really hard to do.

Though, your hub idea would be really cool. If we used @@Oobah's temple map as the hub map, and you can go to certain rooms to do certain things to replace the main menu. The maintenance looking room could be the saber building menu area, could use a bedroom for the player customization menu, then the hangar for missions at different vehicles that are there. 

I actually would love to see that happen.

@@redsaurus what do you think?

Ramikad likes this

That would be really cool, but really hard to do.

Though, your hub idea would be really cool. If we used @@Oobah's temple map as the hub map, and you can go to certain rooms to do certain things to replace the main menu. The maintenance looking room could be the saber building menu area, could use a bedroom for the player customization menu, then the hangar for missions at different vehicles that are there. 

I actually would love to see that happen.

@@redsaurus what do you think?

I support this, I love the idea. Honestly I don't see many difficulties in doing this, since the hub system in JA works fine.

Circa likes this

Due to the fact the map itself is at the games ent limit more or less(meaning it wont compile).  You would basically have to setup the map like they did in SP as the academy portions aka when they did cutscenes between areas for the ceremony hall.  Simply because full map setup wouldn't be able to support anymore additions less you used a custom setup for the game engine to support more entity's but that also means making radiant support the higher ent limit as well.  It refuses to compile anything that hits exactly 4096 ents, even for a basic regular bsp compile with no lights or -vis setup.

In theory what you could do is strip out things you wouldn't need for certain hub portions and perhaps add a door lock to certain areas so you kinda push people in the direction they need to go.  Basically every time you hit the hub section can do slight alterations when people go back to the temple like ships moved around, different races and species showing up talking in the mess hall or different rebels in the command center.

I'm no script wizard either so you're out of luck on that end also.  You could also take scripts from JO SP since SP to SP between games with scripts seems to work just fine.  It's just the MP portion isn't real cut and dry, was never really meant for scripting but it wasn't patched out so it works, kinda.

Problem is if after every mission you go back you would have to do a few different map compiles to compensate for each different version.  So you would have to do the map in kinda progression blocks sorta deal.  After you complete say 3 or 5 whatever number missions, you load up a later map version whatever.

But no, I'm not interested in any projects and if you want to use the .map file you're stuck decompiling it and doing the cleanup on things for use and figuring out how things work.  It's how I got where I did with mapping with doing lots of grunt work.  Might take you longer but you'll learn a lot more then being handed everything on a silver platter.  Like I said use the JO scripts if need be.  For example in yavin_temple in JO they had droids walking around as well as the jedi training in JO also for SP as well.  :shifty:

Word of warning the jedi training in yavin_temple in JO are aggressive when I set them up for MP before.  It's probably why they had the training areas locked down and with the npc block texture and forced kyle to use the catwalk area.  Don't bother with the yavin_trial scripts in my map pk3, the SP ones in JO will work fine in JA SP like all other JO scripts so use those ones instead.  Works a lot better then the kinda frakenstein job I did, regardless of how smooth it can be in some areas.

I can understand people wanting an SP setup and kinda capture that sorta kotor RPG style fused with the hands on combat of JA, a sorta experience on what it would be like to go through jedi or sith training whatever.  Far as I see it be more fun with MP, which is my main focus.  SP to me is just a book.  I have no interest in it once it's done.  With live players in MP you get actual feedback plus it's a lot more engaging when you're in a community or clan with folks who are in the same mindset as well.  D&D might take a long time to setup, but when people get into the game it can be the most fun you could ever imagine.  With real players things can evolve and change as time goes on.  SP is stuck with things set in stone.  But hey some people love having a story they can solo through. :P

This sounds pretty neat! It would not be very difficult to implement this, it would just take a bit of work to set it up and make it look pretty. I could help with some scripting, but I'd need some help coding-wise. I'd need some sort of "hook" to capture variables (like what mission you came from, where you're going next, what you've bought, what you've done, your points, etc) and allow them to be saved in .sav files and be used by ICARUS scripts. This is a neat concept, especially if you tack on little "side quests" and give the player a lot of stuff to do there, things that will make the player feel refreshed after a particularly tricky mission. I liked the idea about building you defenses...and then maybe having to defend it against a Cultist attack (basically what happened in JO but with Cultists :D)? Could be really neat.

For the entity limit - we could use some of the concepts/code developed in Lugormod-U# to handle the entity overload. Convert triggers to logical entities taht don't count against the entity limit and place entities separate from Radiant  so that, if we want to, we can modify the engine to allow more entities. Makermod features would be handy for construction purposes.

#ScooperPlz

#HelpMeRoboPhredKenobi

I'm actually working on a mission, though I'm learning to map as I am going along so it may take awhile. :P Basically it will take place at a Sith temple on Ilum. The story still needs to be written out, that'll come later.

• 1 year later...

I never did do the bonus missions... probably still should. I guess I was too concerned with putting a fresh coat of paint on them (UI integration and scripting wise) when they are good enough as is.

I have three suggestions for JA's default missions though.

1. Dosuun - Lengthen the prison break segment slightly. Give the player melee initially and force him to fight a few stormtrooper guards strategically placed around the room with weapons that can't be stolen, one holding a key to get out of the jail cell room.

2. Level with the Noghri - Have some swamptroopers spawn in the water and ambush you.

3. Korriban - make the atmosphere a little more epic. Instead of bright and sunny have the sky be dark and stormy in korriban2. More Jedi and more Reborn.

• 2 weeks later...

Just throwing this out there, but for a bonus mission, you're happy with self-contained and stand-alone, right? By this I mean, it doesn't have to contribute to a larger story arc in any significant way?  :ph34r:

Would said levels have to feature Jaden Korr, or are other options available, such as jedi/j2, Rosh, Kyle, Jan or Luke?

Jaden's fine! Any tier preferable, or post-main story? (Have more ideas for Tier 1.)

Also, this one below isn't a mission per se but you're welcome to it if it fits with any plans.

https://youtu.be/3UtslXgTOpk

I think we had considered having a few missions featuring Rosh, but if we did one, we'd have to commit making multiple. Maybe 1 per tier or something. We discussed having one of those be a Jaden + Rosh mission, and you get split up at one point and get to play as each of them in different sections of the level.

But like I've said before, the goal of JKE is to improve on the vanilla game and storyline. Adding missions that feature other characters wouldn't really fit necessarily. However, if you happen to have anything finished that does feature another character, it could always be a bonus mission or something like that.

To answer your question though, I'd rather keep the missions take place inside the game story, not after. Anything that takes place after would be more of a sequel, which isn't what this project is doing. Unless it actually improved the story a bit. 

I should probably play through SP once more and write down my ideas. I've played through it literally about 100 times over the years, and have had so many ideas for extra missions, but never wrote them down. Feel free to post any ideas you have too!

Bek and MagSul like this

That's fine. Straight after t1_inter seems like an ideal time to slot in a Jaden and Rosh mission, since Kyle picks the both of you up at once. I'll have a think and get back to you on pitches for that. In the mean time, one felt Jan's presence was lacking in Jedi Academy, so there're two things I have if they're of any use to you. The first is a modification to t2_rancor. The second is in the post-fight with Kyle if you want to include that short/sweet spat.

TheWhitePhoenix and Circa like this

There was this idea to have an actual academy level where you can choose the next mission instead of these menu screens. If I had time that would be the number one thing that I'd work on

Bek likes this

There was this idea to have an actual academy level where you can choose the next mission instead of these menu screens. If I had time that would be the number one thing that I'd work on

Are there any "must-includes" with that? Or indeed any "must-not-incldues"?

That's fine. Straight after t1_inter seems like an ideal time to slot in a Jaden and Rosh mission, since Kyle picks the both of you up at once. I'll have a think and get back to you on pitches for that. In the mean time, one felt Jan's presence was lacking in Jedi Academy, so there're two things I have if they're of any use to you. The first is a modification to t2_rancor. The second is in the post-fight with Kyle if you want to include that short/sweet spat.

An option for a Rosh mission would be to elaborate on his mission to Byss. We know he got captured, but perhaps beef up his reputation a bit and let him not go down without a fight.

That t2_rancor mod is a great change, good call! Should definitely be in this. That whole ending is great too! :) I'm liking all this.

Are there any "must-includes" with that? Or indeed any "must-not-incldues"?

I'm still wanting this to be a thing, but could be a lot of work. I was really wanting Oobah's Academy map for this, since it's so huge and elaborate. It was going to be a Lego Star Wars cantina-esque concept where specific rooms or areas of the map begin the mission of choice.

However, I've been thinking, if we can't do that, perhaps remove the option to choose your level completely. Instead make the game completely linear. That way, it feels longer (before, you have the option to skip the last mission in each tier), and more like a complete story. Right now its like they attempted to make it feel like an RPG (with custom appearance and mission options) and part of me wants to make it into a linear feel.

Which also brings up the topic of removing character creation completely as well, but I think that may make more people upset than anything. Maybe I'm wrong.

MagSul likes this

No, I can see where you're coming from, @@Circa. I had similar thoughts and that lead me to making my expansion into a linear experience. I'm up for offering my temple, but I appreciate it's not as expansive as the other one. You're welcome to have a walk around it on a server somewhere and share thoughts.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

No, I can see where you're coming from, @@Circa. I had similar thoughts and that lead me to making my expansion into a linear experience. I'm up for offering my temple, but I appreciate it's not as expansive as the other one. You're welcome to have a walk around it on a server somewhere and share thoughts.

That sounds awesome. Is it a map you've uploaded here already? Oobah already denied our request a couple years ago to use his map, so we would need another option if we go through with that concept.

The concept that therfiles and me had in mind back then was actually an approach with more instead of less 'role-playing'. Means you have people like Kyle or Luke who give you the next mission when you talk with them. Therfiles made a dialogue-script which could be used for that. Eezstreet had the idea to allow upgrades for weapons in the temple. There was also the idea that you actually have to learn the new force powers ingame (like the force training mission in jk2).

But I can see why it would be a good idea to make the game more linear.

The question is: Do you really need a temple map if the game is completely linear and if yes, how would it work?

About the map itself, I actually thought it would be a good idea to use the temple from Jedi Outcast and spice it up with the levels that are used for the cutscenes of Jedi Academy. But that's just one option.

The concept that therfiles and me had in mind back then was actually an approach with more instead of less 'role-playing'. Means you have people like Kyle or Luke who give you the next mission when you talk with them. Therfiles made a dialogue-script which could be used for that. Eezstreet had the idea to allow upgrades for weapons in the temple. There was also the idea that you actually have to learn the new force powers ingame (like the force training mission in jk2).

But I can see why it would be a good idea to make the game more linear.

The question is: Do you really need a temple map if the game is completely linear and if yes, how would it work?

About the map itself, I actually thought it would be a good idea to use the temple from Jedi Outcast and spice it up with the levels that are used for the cutscenes of Jedi Academy. But that's just one option.

Linear? Or non-linear? That is what we should decide first.

@@MagSul showed me his map, which would be perfect for what we're wanting. It's based on the temple map in JK2, but looks much nicer, and has some added elements to make it feel more complete.

I think removing some of the RPG elements of the game would be for the best, as I think they were half-assed in the first place. I just am not sure how the community would react to such a big decision. I'm talking things like making the closest version of Jaden Korr as the old canon version of him was (brown haired white human male) as the player, removing all species customization. Instead do some kind of outfit designer that you could change before venturing out from the temple.

You're right though, it wouldnt really be linear if you were still choosing the missions in the temple. However, there a few ways we could do this.

1. The temple is the central hub. It acts as the vanilla mission select, except you go to a specific section of the map to get to the tier that you're on, then within that section there are either rooms for each mission, or objects/vehicles that begin the specific mission. Brings up a short briefing for the mission and asks TRAVEL or STEP AWAY.
  2. The temple is the central hub. In order to continue the story, you have to find the right person to talk to, depending on the mission. This would be determined by what it was in the vanilla menu. Find Luke in his chambers for his missions, find Kyle in the hangar working on the Raven's Claw, find C-3PO in a briefing room, etc etc. Would be more with new missions, like Rosh or Jan.
  3. Same as above, except you just go to your ship each time you want to progress with the story.

Now, to make the temple even more of an addition to the game, the force selection menu and weapons menu can be implemented. To select your loadout, go to the armory. It updates for the next mission. If you don't change it, the loadout stays the same as it was in the last mission. To spend your force points, either talk to Luke, Kyle, or a Jedi Master in the temple to spend your force points. Similar to SWTOR. It's as if they're teaching you the power. Could give Luke the light side powers, Kyle the dark side, to make a little more sense.

Bek, TheWhitePhoenix and afi like this