Missions and Scripts

One thing that would help give players a sense of direction would be a option that'd let players view who to talk to, and where to go on the datapad. I think you can access the datapad by pressing Tab, but I don't remember.

One thing that would help give players a sense of direction would be a option that'd let players view who to talk to, and where to go on the datapad. I think you can access the datapad by pressing Tab, but I don't remember.

For sure. You'd view your datapad to see what your objective is, just like in a normal level. It would force you to explore the entirety of the temple as well, and not just stick to the mission launch area(s).

Bek likes this

I think option two would be the coolest. But tbh, I think it would be more fun if you could choose which next mission you want to do next. Otherwise it might feel awkward for the player if you have to run through the temple without even having a choice where to go.

If it's completely linear, then going to the ship (option three) would be better I guess.

It could also be half-linear. We could make most missions non-linear and at some point you have the choice to do more missions or to continue with the story.

How about a compromise: you have to talk to people to acquire the missions, but actually go to the ship to execute them. That way, you can get all of your missions in one go, compare them at your ship, and don't have to bother running around the temple again after you finish them.

Bek likes this

How about a compromise: you have to talk to people to acquire the missions, but actually go to the ship to execute them. That way, you can get all of your missions in one go, compare them at your ship, and don't have to bother running around the temple again after you finish them.

You should also be able to call off a mission by speaking to the person again. Or using some sort of UI (the datapad perhaps?) in order to cancel a mission.

If you're looking for things to do on the temple itself, why not some challenges? While I was reading at work, I was picturing something similar to Movie Duels. They use Mustafarr as their hub and you have access to a jump challenge, the ability to spawn a few things. I think it breaks up the pace a bit. There's already a remote/seeker room that currently spawns up to five of the pests. The duelling room can be used to have some one-on-ones with NPCs of varying difficulty, like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2bdyC8wKCQ

Thinking along other mapping routes, you could do one-offs to maybe repair sonic emitters (designed to keep creatures at bay) with an astromech companion, or someone like Rosh. A mission that doesn't involve any kind of real combat. Could we maybe recycle/repurpose Yavin1b for an area to return to?

Circa and Bek like this

Explored the temple with @@MagSul today on my server and discussed various possibilities for it. I think the main take-away was that we don't want the temple to feel empty or pointless. It should be full of NPCs: some familiar, some new; possible conversations with those NPC's and possible missions that they give you to complete around the temple (find parts for an astromech droid for the maintenance crew or something simple like that. Like Mag said above, have challenges and little bonus things you can do. But then also the hub where you start your missions and change your loadout/saber/outfit/force.

We can even have a couple main missions take place on that map before you get assigned Tier 1. Maybe a detective style mission where you go around talking to people about the break-in (Alora stealing files) and find out more info on the intruder. 

The map itself is basically the one that we see in JK2 and JKA, but looks even better and it feels great to explore.

I think the main idea of this mod is to put the "Academy" in Jedi Academy, and this map and concept is going to help achieve that greatly.

afi, Bek and TheWhitePhoenix like this