Rooxon's WeaponsHD

Yeah.. well actually I've done another model already, and if you don't mind @@DT85 I have a few questions, I need a tip or two. I'll make screenshots so you'll understand better what I wanna know.

Here's a screenie of the poly model:

ascrzaynepoly.jpg

and here one of the mesh model

ascrzaynemesh.jpg

Okay, so one thing I'm curious about is the way I model. I did the center part of the hilt (dark green) first like you see it. Than I detached the upper and bottom polygons, and made the bottom and upper part respectively. After that I selected half the polygons on the upper side, detached, and modeled the "shield" as I called it at the top (dark cyan), I also detached the "inner" cylinder polygons (this step wasn't needed probably, but I split my models for the sake of easier UVW mapping as some need the gizmo set so I get the left perspective picture, sometimes the top).

Now, tell me if what I've done with this model is okay. Another question is, see that part around the parent tag? the part I extruded into the hilt? I feel like this could have been done a better way, but I'm not sure. Also, it's okay that I try to keep the object count I use to a minimum, right? or doesn't it matter if the hilt is say like, from a cylinder, box, some cones.. you know, like that? I do realize though I need to delete unseen polygons. I always do that.

and the last question is what you think of my models overall. :) you can take a quick look at any of my releases, but if you want I can do some quick pictures from gmax. I never really heard any opinions about my modeling skills.

This is something I'm MAYBE going to try, I started working some drafts on a newer detailed reborn saber that's actually cool. Well I'll keep working with @@CaptainCrazy and see how far I can come.

20140517234345.jpg

I've even went on with my sketching, I'll upload the pictures and some others later to the concepts section. Aaanyway, that's what I've done in the end: 

ascreborn.jpg

Bek likes this

Well, this is the result. I like this detailed modeling I decided on doing, actually:

Reborn saber a.k.a. The Stinger 3.0

ascreborn3.jpg

^ *Triple Like * This hilt looks awesome I think you should leave the texturing as it is, dark hilts always looked a bit weird anyways, keep up the great work! :winkthumb:

Rooxon likes this

Thank you! :) Here's some ingame shots:

I'm trying out different shader variations, I've made the map purple FOR NOW so I can clearly see how it'll look later on. I'll give it a faint hint of either dark red or light blue later to give it a nice double-colored metallic look.

shot0019.jpg

Bek and Barricade24 like this

Thank you! :) Here's some ingame shots:

I'm trying out different shader variations, I've made the map purple FOR NOW so I can clearly see how it'll look later on. I'll give it a faint hint of either dark red or light blue later to give it a nice double-colored metallic look.

shot0019.jpg

They look great! the quality of the textures didn't decrease by that much.

Well the base texture is sized to 512x512 while the specmap shows those beautiful scratches, and is at 1024x1024 resolution. Though I may consider leaving the base textures also at 1024x1024 to bring this crispy look like in this screenie

Your method sounds fine to me, if I understood it correctly. :)

Just remember that sabers are small, so they don't require a whole lot of detail mesh-wise. My rule is: the smaller the object, the less tris you need while larger objects could use more tris. I'm pretty sure sabers can have LODs, so:

LOD0 (original mesh) = 1,000 tris

LOD1 = 500 tris

LOD2 = 250 tris

Numbers don't have to be spot-on, but around these values.

Thank you very much, a totaly new bunch is in the making right now :) even cooler ones.

EDIT:

Katarn's saber 2.0

scrkatarn.jpg

Fixed color tones, release ready, including the Stinger in the Misc Saber Pack that's underway!
scrkatarn2.jpg

At this part, I think it's time to do what I thought of some time today, I'd like to thank @@Circa for being with me from the start. As I'm right now I've got 200% better grisp at modeling and texturing as I had when I started doing this mod. @ for being my first friend here in the community and my mod tester.  Various others, including @@DT85, @@AshuraDX, @@eezstreet, @@Barricade24 that gave me tips or excelent feedback to help me grasp this skills. And everyone for encouraging me in any way. From now on, I'm really gonna stun you all, gonna do my best.

Ohh, sorry to everyone else I haven't tagged but you know who you are. I'm talking about the people that I've also made friends with here, or something like that. You all together are the reason I'm gonna come back here even more! :)

Edited by Rooxon
Bek and Circa like this

Hmm. It seems off. Almost like it's not made of parts, but it all one piece. It looks like you tried to make it different parts, but it needs to be retouched with that in mind. It's a little too bluish too.

I like your first version better, honestly. :P

Well you're free to use the first one, as I'm gonna keep it in the MISC pack as an alternative to this one :D I like this one way more. Now that I think about it, yes, it may be off from the original. But hey, try to imagine, the original was made and textured in spite of being low-detail. I considered possible real-time parts that could be parts of the saber, and build the hilt accordingly. I'm also gonna do the concepts for the new sabers that are underway and post them all in the concepts section.

Thank you very much, a totaly new bunch is in the making right now :) even cooler ones.

EDIT:

Katarn's saber 2.0

scrkatarn.jpg

Fixed color tones, release ready, including the Stinger in the Misc Saber Pack that's underway!

scrkatarn2.jpg

At this part, I think it's time to do what I thought of some time today, I'd like to thank @@Circa for being with me from the start. As I'm right now I've got 200% better grisp at modeling and texturing as I had when I started doing this mod. @ for being my first friend here in the community and my mod tester.  Various others, including @@DT85, @@AshuraDX, @@eezstreet, @@Barricade24 that gave me tips or excelent feedback to help me grasp this skills. And everyone for encouraging me in any way. From now on, I'm really gonna stun you all, gonna do my best.

@@Rooxon this looks awesome to me I love the blurry-ish chrome color on the new saber as you stated before it is truly stunning and dynamic, I also like the added grey-ish chrome-ish marks on the saber, I would just refine the bottom part of the saber a bit more to add a bit more ware.

Edit: *Facepalm* Just realized I used the same adjective twice.

will do. Also I've fixed the lightning a bit, when I took a look at it today, I realized I played with the levels too much. The "black" parts have less visible shadows while the "blue" parts now have more visible lights. I have to go to work now, I realized I still haven't made the md3 files for the scepter to work in all cutscenes... I'll try to do that in the evening and upload the pack then.