Rooxon's WeaponsHD

Heh thank you! @@GraysonKale and because of guys like you, I'll keep doing them. I can't wait the day when I revise how to weight playermodels and start on doing them. But before that, all weapons are getting remakes, including guns. Also I think for that I'll learn how to model in another program, as Gmax is well, easy to use but too bugged in my opinion. It's good enough to do any weapons I like, but that's that.

Once I release the two packs in the making, I'm gonna go and start the guns already, but also I'll take my time, maybe do a few other mods, just to see the feedback of those already released and do any bugfixing they're gonna need. If not, I'll just go and do the final touches I deem needed and release the "final" pack version, which would include every remake I've done so far and also my opinion then will be that nothing needs fixing anymore. That's still a long way I guess as I haven't got much time to do mods because of college.

Sword is slowly getting it's skin, and so is the scepter:

scrsthswrd.jpgscrsthscptr.jpg

Circa and Bek like this

I'm fairly certain that the Sith Sword is supposed to "fit in" the scepter. The scepter is hollow and acts as sheath for the sword. Looks like your sword is much wider than the scepter. How does that work?

@@Circa actually I will fix the model of the scepter. It will have... like openings so part of the blade can look out :) sorry but the original shape of the sword is just too thin for my taste, to me it never even looked like a sword schould. Not one that can be hit by lightsabers. Any objections? I tend to do my mods FOR the community, not really totaly to my liking. I just like to always be original.

Ahh what the heck, I said I'd surprise you with the sword, but I'll just show you what my final skin looks like. @@AshuraDX I can show you the difference between the effect I tried to teach you back on the fifth page I think. For now I haven't applied it yet.

Sith Sword:

Without the emboss routine:

scrsthswrd.jpg

WITH the emboss routine:
scrsthswrd.jpgI've desaturated some parts and did a bit more shadowing.. This is the 1024x1024 tex I need to do a nice spec-map, after I downsize it to 512x512, the hilt bandages are gonna look nicer, also the cracks.

512x512 tex:
scrsthswrd.jpg

Bek likes this

@@AshuraDX What about now, take a look. I've updated it with the 512x512 map. The 1024x1024 texture looks hideous cause it's overall too detailed for such a small model like a weapon. It's only nice to take it for a spec map, I'll leave the main texture at 512x512.
Geez buddy I know you're probably right, but you just demoralize a bit everytime, you know that? :P Also, I tried to make it look like a 5000 year old weapon, so yeah... sorry if it looks a bit like stone...

@@Circa you're also right in a way... but what about the staff being further out so it covers the blade width? I mean, if the part where the blade stands out looks (viewed from the top) more like a cube... you know what I mean?

@@AshuraDX What about now, take a look. I've updated it with the 512x512 map. The 1024x1024 texture looks hideous cause it's overall too detailed for such a small model like a weapon. It's only nice to take it for a spec map, I'll leave the main texture at 512x512.

Geez buddy I know you're probably right, but you just demoralize a bit everytime, you know that? :P Also, I tried to make it look like a 5000 year old weapon, so yeah... sorry if it looks a bit like stone...

@@Circa you're also right in a way... but what about the staff being further out so it covers the blade width? I mean, if the part where the blade stands out looks (viewed from the top) more like a cube... you know what I mean?

I think it's a great representation of what the sword looks like, though the sword could be a bit more shiny

Yeah, in the last stages of my texturing right now I'm comparing the original and my weapon and try to draw as much same details as possible... You're right, I see that now it looks more shiny on the original, mine is a bit... well, I guess not-shiny or something like that would be the appropriate expression :D

Any opinions on my staff modifications? I've made the model have parts stand out in the top part, if you look at the original... that'll make it kinda cooler I think, also this upper part, or as I'd call it, "head", is a bit smaller than the originals... I think it's more realistic, dunno, need your opinions!

Aaaand I schould mention that @@CaptainCrazy and I are going to team up, if it turns out great I might even ask him to do all the sabers again with him making the concepts and me the models&textures... or maybe we could even split the work, but than I'll no longer name it MY weapons pack, it'll just be WeaponsHD

@ I'm still counting on you for the bug testing, you'll get the misc saber pack as soon as I finish these sith weapons, but as stated above, I might decide to do them all again.

CaptainCrazy and Bek like this

Well everybody than with what came up today, the progress may all be... just my own try at doing the pack, I'll probably keep it, except if @@CaptainCrazy does better concepts than I've done remakes :P I want the pack be as good as possible and will do everything to make it so.

These are my remakes (the final tex probably):

@@Circa, is this fix better? :)

Sith Scepter and Sith Sword:

scrsithwp.jpg And the original for comparison (recolored from my post... I'm too lazy to do a new one with the original tex) scrsithwep.jpg

Ingame:

I know the dlight is glowing and schouldn't be, I just made quick extension data files to take a look at the weapons.

shot0020.jpg

Now let's see what me and CaptainCrazy come up with together. Can't wait. :3

CaptainCrazy, Omicron and Bek like this

Good well I'm continuing with my dual sabers pack reworkings. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: I've got something important to tell you. Recently I was inspired by the work of some other people, which made me kinda depresed I dare make a HD mod that isn't truly HD, even though they're nice models. Some have made a quick weapon and it's by far better than I've done mine from the start, as I was just coming back to modding. So now I'm gonna try to do models detailed up to the limit. I think all of us modders here know what I mean. :) Up to now I've mainly done a 10 sided cylinder as the initial shape when I started modeling, now I'm doing my first model with an 18 sided and with almost every detail MODELED. It'll be Zaynes Lightsaber which @ requested of me today. :) After that, my existing packs are getting an update with those new detailed models... and that's the new plan concerning my project for now. I just want to do the best I can do for you guys.

Looking good so far? That's the way of modeling I mean. I'm also working on my texturing skills a bit, until I perfect this style of modeling I'm gonna take a break from my project, at least concerning the dual sabers as I'm so or so probably gonna redo all of them from start. I kinda had something like that in mind from the start, that's why I've put such low version numbers in my mods.

scrzaynes.jpg

Edited by Rooxon
Bek likes this

here you go :) yes it might be good if I found the right amount of sides I'd have to use for the models to look exceptionally better and I strongly doubt that we're playing with computers not able to run those models :P Well at the most, the engine could prove problematic.

Anyway @@DT85scrpolycount.jpg

@@Circa yes well look I know I'm the guy who IS capable to do something exceptional, I was just satisfied with what I've done up till now. So why not take this to the next level? :P I reckon I'll have some problems on the way, maybe even remaking the sabers times over to get the polycount straight. But it's worth it and maybe I'll even encourage others to follow my work and do to-the-point detailed mods/models. I don't care if I'll be the only one doing this, I just think it's time to change the way mods have been done up till now :)

doesn't really matter as far as I know , upon export it will be converted anyway - in 3ds max the editable poly just offers a few more neat tools and allows faces with more than 4 sides

I'd say 18 is A LOT if you really want to go high stay with 12 it's more than enough

@@AshuraDX you're right but it's still too boxy sometimes. 18 makes it seem like it's actually rounded. Also I don't use 3ds max, newer versions because of a lack of working plugins... and i'd also have to get an original version, I'm not really into downloading programs from torrents, mostly I just pumped my computer with viruses. The older versions though had plugins, but gave me a headache each time I exported models... either they crashed in modView or didn't export correctly at all. Gmax seems to work a lot nicer regarding that, though I wouldn't model a playermodel in gmax, it just lacks the said functions regardin vertex connecting, edge spliting and creation and so on.

Though maybe I'll go and try to use less sides. It's just the look is important to me.

@@AshuraDX yes I've heard of it.. though I haven't yet considered getting it and I don't know where. Also, what version is free for students? does it have the needed plugins availible? I so or so thought already that gmax is a bit old and that I schould at least try another program

it is capable of using all plugins you feed it that where made for the version of max you're using

the student license expires after 3 years though

you can chose between 3 of the more recent versions of max to acquire it just gogle autodesk students

k will do, thank you! gotta try em out.

@@Circa @@AshuraDX I've uploaded Zayne's saber to this site for download already, try it out, I've done it to Ashura's favor, with a 12 sided cylinder as the 18 sided one had too many verts (1015 to be exact) so I've left that saber behind me and did a new one. I might try to go with a 14 sided one, but this looks pretty neat already too. Surely more like I want it too but still not totaly like that.

Here's some quick pics if you don't wanna waste time downloading it:

scrzayne.jpgshot0019.jpg

@@DT85 and @@AshuraDX Well if Circa forwarded you here to this topic, you have to be a very good modelers. I might need a tip or two for those sabers, as now I'm sure I'm gonna do even more detailed versions of all the JKA hilts, so if you want to say anything to me that would make this pack and my models better, I'd be very happy and appreciate it. :)

And this is a message to everyone: I might take a break from my personal project and do some things together with @@CaptainCrazy, which varies from tutorials to sabers made from his concepts, even I might take my try at concepting after a long time, I'm very much looking forward to working with him. For the time that we will have plans, I just won't continue my project as it can be a distraction, I'd rather focus on one work at a time.

Editable Mesh will give you a triangle total, which is what we want. I'm pretty sure the screenshot you posted of the totals was in poly's & not in tri's. No idea if GMax has a polygon counter like Max, where it counts everything no matter what Editable type you have for your object.