Rooxon's WeaponsHD

haha, well I think life itself leaves every posibility out there somewhere to happen. Just tell what you honestly think, because that's what matters to me, not if it's a good criticism or a bad one. Both count the same to me, if it's good, I know I need to evolve in the same light, if it's bad, I know I've been doing something wrong and I schould fix it, if I agree with the opinion, of course. I've got a rather unique way of thinking, I think. Sometimes it's the most fair one, sometimes it's the most unexplainable one.

Tavion's saber; I think I'll call it the Revenger, as the main thoughts driving Tavion are getting revenge at Kyle for letting her live in JKJO. Is "Revenger" the correct word? I'm not sure... anyway, here is the model:

scrtavion.jpg

I'd like to point out that I'm working practically every day on my project, but not fast. As soon as I'd start doing a quick job out of the things I'm creating, they'd start to become full of flaws. It's just there's a lot still to do to bring my packs to a finalized version, which is what I intend to do soon. After that, it's time I start doing some other things like weapons, map objects and playermodels. Not to mention weapons for The Dark Pastime mod and a bunch of other stuff I promised to help with. @Mr. Zz and I will join forces and tackle his Texture Overhaul to make it complete as well. Those two things are two I look forward to the most.

Bek likes this

well I'm only curious if Revenger is a grammatically correct word, then I'll go with it. Why not? Or maybe the Seeker, as she seeked other's powers (Ragnos, Desann). But I don't know, I'm kinda brainstorming here, trying to find something that would fit her. Any ideas, anyone?

The Revenger (I'm finishing up on the texture work, now there's just a bunch of colors and filters missing to make everything more realistic [LOOK AT THE HILT INSIDE THE WHITE BORDERS]):

scrtavion.png

I'm trying to make it look pretty used up. Just for the sake of logic; Tavion would have probably scratched it up pretty bad in all the events she was part of. Is it allright like that? Any comments, people? :P

On the contrary to Alora's hilts, this one won't come with a fancy chrome shader. Well I'm just about satisfied with the textures, I just need to fade out the scratches a bit (I think I went a bit overboard) and to make a few disappear. Other than that, there's some tone fixes I need to attend to and also maybe a nice noise overlay for the whole texture. I dunno but all that matters to me is the in-game look anyhow. This time around, I'll try changing the material layer around a bit, so that when the spec map shows the metal reflections that are dark on the diffuse map, schould appear inverted - white, thus making an illusion of the reflection actually happening real-time.

EDIT: Done.
The Revenger:

scrtavionfin.png

The last bits of editing were done with Photoshop CC 2014. I gotta say, it brought great quality regarding it's filters and effects. Most things are easier to do now, too (or at least quicker). I look forward to working with it! Having said that, I'll start another hilt right away, if I'm not mistaken, there's only the Stinger from Zefilus's design left to do and something easy for the training saber/Rosh. Or I think I'm gonna tackle the original models's texture from my Misc. Sabers Pack to finalize it, at long last.

Edited by Rooxon
z3filus and DarthStiv like this

I'm working on adding some holsters for the holstering addon on which @@redsaurus is working on separately, if I'm not mistaken. Here's a quick screenshot, I'm positioning them on the left side at this point, we'll work out the correct position when you've got the time:

scrholsters.png

@@Circa It's a very simple ring holster, I could leave it like that or I'm also thinking, that it wouldn't hurt to make a small separation on either the left or right side, making it actually possible to holster it to something, if we're concerned about such small realism details, otherwise I'll just leave it like that and merge it with other hilts. What do you think?

z3filus likes this

Up to you, but keep in mind not all sabers have rings like that. Most prequel-era Jedi had special locking mechanisms for their belt and saber. Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Anakin all had these for example.

The black thing on the sabers like so:

lyQbP8p.png

Fit into the silver thing on the belt and are locked in to place:

BeXmhK0.png

Just a thought. Maybe if a saber looks like it could use a ring, add it but if it makes the design look odd, keep it off. Without proper physics and animations, the ring will be stiff and look odd anyway.

That's something worth considering, I've also seen like such a ring with a small separation being just "hanged" on a piece of cloth. Guess I schould keep what you said in mind.

Yeah, the ring looks cool, but remember that you have to put one on every saber. :)

Yes but actually, I saw such ring holsters in Sword Art Online, to be honest and in some other movies/animes with laser swords. This holstering system is somewhat unique to Star Wars, isn't it? I could do this button you showed me from Kenobi's hilt for each of mine OR if the rings are really cool, for those which would look odd otherwise. Though I've got a lot of thoughts about the physics you mentioned... is it even possible in JKA to animate a saber? I confess, I have not yet witnessed that with my own eyes.

Anyway, finished Zefilus's design of the Stinger, this time around I decided I'd reveal my texture-creation progression, so I made a screenshot everytime I loaded the texture in ModView:

scrzefstinger.png

First two are just the base texture. Later I added lights, after that two screenshots of both lightning tone fix, then I added the lines and some other small details around the box, lights and emitter. Last but not least, I tackled the dust and scratches, and for the last picture on the far right, you'll notice I did various opacity fixes, added three different cloud filters with different complementary color pairs to create this illusion of being something else than plain gray and last but not least, a black/white cloud overlay with 10% noise at 5% opacity to give it realism. The various filters help keep nice edges and a crispy gorgeous texture. Sometimes I copy the finished texture and add an emboss mask to it, which further creates realistic looks. Given the fact that I'm meticulous and like having things done only the right way, it took me 1 whole evening yesterday and 2 hours today to finish the texture. A lot, yes, but keep in mind I started with a blank new file and I'm using mouse and keyboard, a lot of backstepping and redoing most steps. ;)

I'm sharing that because honestly, I'm creating my own textures, not baking them. Every single detail. Before I had some similiar logic behind it, but in the last year, I evolved this routine to the max, I think. That's why I'm telling others in hope it would help somebody in their own work. Now it's Kyle and Luke's turn!

ANYWAY, important decision: I think I'll let my first version of the stinger fall into Rosh's hands and take up the place of the Training saber/Rosh's Jedi saber. Any objections? Just asking because I'll be finished with the finalized pack by this tuesday, hopefully.

Edited by Rooxon
Srethem and Bek like this

Looking good!! I never even noticed the locking mechanisms in the prequels, looks cool :o In StarWars: Rebels, Kanan has chosen a ring, though. http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Kanan-Jarrus-Lightsaber-SW-Rebels-star-wars-rebels-37800485-1191-670.jpg

Would you concider making a replica for your sabers pack, @@Rooxon?  Or is anyone else, following this topic, interested in modelling this saber? I think it looks cool.

Rooxon likes this

Like, as a SP choice? Well... it wouldn't hurt, even though I wanted to keep all of the new hilts originals, your designs. I guess I could, yes. Also what's more, I need to play around with the hilt sizes a bit as I noticed I did some of them too big and some too small.

Yeah, seems the locking mechanism was standard for the prequel-era Jedi. After that, Luke uses a ring on Anakin's hilt and his own. You could say Obi-Wan installed the ring since he knew Luke wouldn't have a belt with the mechanism, or you could stick with the theory of the fact that they didn't decide about the mechanism until they started making Episode I. :P

Rooxon likes this

@@Circa, what was wrong with JKHub earlier today, giving an error instead of loading the website?  Oh and other than that, I tried out both the button mechanism and the ring... I couldn't decide at first which to use on the outcast (kyle's hilt) but I decided to go with the ring rather then the button. I can post both pictures if you want, in one I replaced one of the bottom boxes on the hilt with the holster button, in the other I installed the holstering ring I created for use with all my hilts (I'm sure you know which I mean, it's on alora's and tavion's hilts, also the updated zayne carrick's hilt).

And one other thing, buddy... I downloaded your fix for the hilts and I want to apply the same for all of my models. Regarding just the dual sabers and the upcoming finalized misc. sabers pack, would you mind helping me position and resize all of the hilts right? Either with positioning/resizing them yourself if I send you the max files or just telling me for how much I schould move the hilt and where. Either would work for me.

Allright, I've got only two opinions, but the ring really does look better. I think I'll go with the ring version, then.

This is where I left off earlier today, I've finished working and now it's time to get back to modding. I'm just starting to do the color map, later only realism filters/brush work remain.
The Outcast:

scroutcast.jpg

I'm trying really hard to stay realistic, not to do any mistakes and so on. This is one of my favorite hilts from the game and JKA's trademark, kind off so the work has to be befitting of that.

Bek likes this