Would you donate towards a JKHub server?

Circa

Would you donate towards a JKHub server?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you donate towards a JKHub server?

• Definitely
    • Maybe
    • Perhaps in the future
    • If I had more money to spare
    • If I still played the game
    • Nope

An addition to the news post.

There has been lots of talk lately and in the past about an official JKHub server. We have toyed with the idea for awhile now as staff, and would like to pursue it further. Do you think it would be feasible? Moderation would be a large issue. Of course the current staff will have top admin positions, but we would need some other admins that would be more active in-game and can fulfill the role of a server admin. The other issue would be expenses. We'd need to raise more money through your donations if this were to be done. Are you okay with that? Would you donate towards a server?

Let us know in more detail below.

A game server. For people to connect to, to play Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy's Multiplayer function with others around the world in many game modes, such as Free For All, Team Free For All, Capture the Flag, and many more.

Could I be any more clear? :P

Merek likes this

Didn't one or two people give JKHub a server before or something? What happened to that?

I have no issue with setting up a server on either Germany/USA/Australia(lol) for free, but I have some questions:

1. Is it really needed when there are so many unused (even un-admined) servers around?

2. With all the previous talk about setting up a central JKHub server, how come only now there is 'official' interest in it?

3. DDos mitigation. No doubt someone's gonna come at us. What are you going to do if someone launches an attack?

2. With all the previous talk about setting up a central JKHub server, how come only now there is 'official' interest in it?

See your other points. This is to gauge the interest in such a thing, to see what people think. This is in no way "officially" announcing a server, but asking if it's worth it. We've been interested in it from the beginning.

1. Is it really needed when there are so many unused (even un-admined) servers around?

I want to vote yes to this server but this is very true. Maybe default game mode should be TFFA or something to stand out.

Yes, a well-run and well-admin'd JKHub base duel server would be a great start get people other than modders interested in this place.
Circa and Merek like this

I would surely donate if I still played JKA. Sadly though I do not do so anymore. Mount & Blade devoured me. 

@@Ping - I know you see it completely different than I do, but is there really any need for duel servers to be well admined? Most players would probably still play on the ESL ones, well you could probably refer them to that one. But my bet is that well admined FFA server is of greater need. Or Siege - this mode is WAY underrated.

But like I said, I have completely different point of view/

Flynn likes this

@@RancorSNP: Not for everyday dueling, but for tournament/league usage you definitely need a good and active admin team that can adjust settings, handle requests and make sure everything is fair. Neutral (and good) servers are pretty rare nowadays, and with the recent general activity spike in JKA there is certainly demand for them. This would provide an excellent opportunity for JKHub to reach out to the other side of the community.

Hmmm. I would think that a good variety of servers would be excellent. A base duel server might be great, but a good CTF server might be great too. And hey, what about Lugormod? Makermod?

I dunno, just some ideas to consider, for later on or something. I agree with @@Ping though, having a JKH server would do wonders for the competitive/player side of the site. There's no good servers out there anymore like there used to be.

EDIT: The question though, is who will admin it? I don't know any admins here who are into base dueling (and tbh, none of them strike me as the player type). I'd recommend bringing someone on board who is going to have a good approach to bridge the competitive and creative aspects of the community.

Flynn and Sentra like this

Would it be possible to change the mod on daily basis? I think it would be cool to have different gametypes and maplists on a day-to-day basis, so everyone can get what they want. Then we can set up the community calender again so people can reserve time slots for community server events, etc.

@@therfiles: My priority would be getting more people interested in JKHub and joining this place, so I'd use the server to do exactly that, since a server is particularly well suited for such a task (at least when it comes to appealing to people from the competitive community). But I get what you're trying to do with the rotating gametypes, mods and maplists etc., I just don't think having everyone get what they want is in that case necessarily better for the community as a whole, given the alternatives. But then again, maybe not being particularly inviting towards players who play the game competitively is a good thing for this community after all - I am definitely open to admitting that. It depends on what JKHub wants to be, maybe.

therfiles likes this

YES YES YES YES PLEASE YES I feel like I'm the only person who plays most of the time instead of makes mods XD

I would be interested in an FFA or better yet CTF server, I would definitely hang out there and recruit some others to do so as well.