Is JA multiplayer dying?

There's a fine line I think between waving a banhammer around and administering punishment to someone who has broken the rules of the site repeatedly and is generally a nuisance to everyone. (And not all bans should be permanent, eh?)

Are you banning Ory'Hara by IP, or what, exactly?

Right, and we definitely administer punishment where it's due, which isn't always noticeable to others, like warnings and suspensions or even bans. Like MoonDog's situation. Revian plagiarized, so we removed his file and gave him 2 warning (a feature of IPB, 3 warnings = a suspension). I don't think that was really flat-out ban worthy, since we also removed the file and can monitor his future submissions closer now.

And yes, by IP, username, email, everything. He manages to still slip in over and over.

@@Jango40, actually all of eez's posts in this thread have been remarkably constructive and mature considering the viewpoint you would expect him to have after the ordeal the he and the MB2 devs had. He's making some solid points and speculations about the mod from a much more insider point of view than most of us could give - would you rather someone else posted those thoughts, without any knowledge of the internal affairs or years of experience with the game? It would certainly be less credible.

Stoiss, Omicron and Evulant like this

I definitely do but I think that some off site advertising would need to be done once it's either complete or really close to it, maybe like a showoff on modDB or something once rend2 is fully implemented. You can't expect everyone to come here and know about this site.

There's a considerable Linux community which has noted OpenJK. Once it gets to a first release stage (I really have no idea what they're waiting on at this point tbh), first-time players on Linux will give it a spin. We've already seen quite a few randoms from the Linux community appear on the coding chat channel.

I dont really think JKA servers and players will disappear soo easy :D . First of all, there are a lot of private esl and other servers, there's still players on 1.00 patch (inclucing mates from my clan :) ), and a there is a lot of mappers and moders still doing their stuf including me. 

But no, JA multiplayer's not dying ;)

So, can Linux and Mac users play on the same servers as us PC people? Reason I'm asking is because I have no idea how that works or if OpenJK affects that sort of thing...

If we can all play on one field that'd help the community I think...

Linux, Mac and Windows players can all play on the same servers.

OpenJK clients can connect to non-OpenJK servers, and vice versa.

As far as JKA goes, there's only three groups that can't play with each other at all, and have different server lists entirely:

- JKA 1.00

- JKA 1.01

- JKG

(mods notwithstanding)

@@spior 

That's not what I mean xD. What I mean is, OpenJK opens up so many more new possibilities for makermod. Surely, Scooper would be inspired to come back?

Scooper never left, he's just busy. And no, I doubt it. He knows what he has to do, just lacks the time (and motivation).

Makermod is actually fine as it is, it just needs players and those players need creativity.

As Spior said I never left =p I'm just not very active on JKHub. I do notice if I get a notification though.

OpenJK basically means that most of the things I had wanted to add to makermod would be a lot easier. Which isn't necessarily a good thing for a hobby project =)

The main issue with mplaceb was actually getting optimal collision meshes for all the different models. This is still an interesting issue, but there exists quite a few solutions for it already. So again not very motivated to work on it =p

I wouldn't say that I have given up on makermod, but it's not highly prioritized as use for my free time. And since I don't even know myself if that's going to change, I can't really say anything final on it.

@@Hugo: You write so much. I think it's great though because the practice you got that way clearly helped you make significant progress in your command of written English - there are still some minor grammatical errors that you'd have to take care of, but your text reads very nicely and has a good flow to it. Well done! Conceptually, I feel like you make a lot of interesting points, but I think you could have tied your entire post to the topic at hand a bit better: Maybe add a very simple inference from "JKA is dying" to "thus we need a new game" to the very top of your post to dodge the admittedly somewhat profane charge of being completely off topic.

Other than that, I'm in no position to comment and would prefer to invite the graceful inner council of our most knowledgable and motivated JKHub members to do so in my stead.

Huh...it seems like I came to JA at it's low, but I hope OpenJK brings some ppl, beg Steam to advertise. As you see, the last Steam Sale brought a motherload of players to the game, however they quickly left. As Hugo stated, gamers these days play something then leave it, JA is something special for surviving for so long, but it's time will come, it will die. And as Hugo said, the only way is to make a NEW GAME, that game will be very popular, but it will also help JA. If people enjoy that game, they will start to want more, they will hear of JA, they will find it at a very low price in Steam, they will buy it. The final result is more players.

OpenJK right now is our hope, when it is finished, it will attract more Mac gamers and more Lunix gamers like me. Perhaps we should advertise it in some Star Wars communities, as Hugo said, people play this for Star Wars, and if you tell some Star Wars fan that there is a game you forgot about that has an awesome, deep, lightsaber combat he will join us. Don't worry, JA may be dying, but it will really die until a few years later. Hopefully by that time Episode 7 and the new EA Battlefront games will be released, this reviving JA. New people will become fans of Star Wars, and old fans will return, and people will start looking for a game that provides awesome Lightsaber combat. They will find JA, they will come.

That's how I became a JA player, a few days go.

Onysfx likes this