Setting up for GtkRadiant 1.5 mapping-- Extracting Assets...

Go to solution Solved by Archangel35757,

Ok... trying to migrate things to my newer Windows workstation, and it's been many years since I installed JKA, GtkRadiant, SDK tools, etc. and I need help setting things up cleanly and efficiently.  Alas, I've forgotten...

So far I've installed JKA to the defaut folder:  C\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy

Likewise for GtkRadiant 1.5 and the SDK MP tools.  My question now is... on my old PC I had attempted to extract all the game assets to D:\base and mod out of that directory... but from the looks of it I just gave up and also extracted all the assets*.pk3 files into the default folder:

C\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy

...but is this the best, cleanest method?  How, and where should I extract all the assets?  default C:\...  or  D:\base  -- what's best practice?  If D:\base, How do you then change paths to get Radiant to use assets from D:\base

Thanks!

I haven't seen a reply here yet. So I'll reply to you. 

I extract the assets for a reference somewhere.  I don't mod the extracted assets.  If I want to find a texture or shader or something I'll look through the extracted assets to find what I need.  Extract em wherever you want them.

I would say you're best bet if you want to mod one version and keep another version untouched is to make a copy of the jedi academy folder and rename it to C\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy 2.  You will have to make the copy on the desktop or somewhere or even make a backup of the original folder then copy it and paste it in the lucas arts directory.  You can rename the folders to work with one or the other instead of redirecting radiant to a different directory. 

Installing gtk should unpack some things needed like map objects and shaders so they can be placed in your map.

I guess you can possibly uninstall then reinstall gtk and point to the folder you want.  I use gtk 1.6 but it doesn't support Jedi Outcast.  It asked me where my Jedi Academy base folder was when I installed 1.6 but I told it where the JO base folder is so when I use it I edit using textures etc in Jedi Outcast however I did have to change a couple things like the shader list in the shaders folder. 

I will also say I wouldn't recommend doing that.  I don't think anyone else has gtk installed to work that way.  If you encounter any problems there aren't many who can help.