Autodesk Softimage to be discontinued

You guys aren't Autodesk subscribers, you're using student licenses which expire after 3 years, subs is how they do it now, there are no stand alone licenses unless you bought an old version back when they still did it. For the tons of people out there with a Softimage subscription they either have to cancel all Autodesk service to keep Softimage, mind you some people use other softwares from the pipeline so if they keep their subscription to keep other software from Autodesk they'll be forced to migrate.

So it really is affecting tons of VFX studios out there.

If you guys are really interested in reading more about it though you should visit some Softimage user based forums.

Yes, I could get a student license of 2015 and use it forever once it's discontinued but do you really like having a company around that just buys and kills of software.

3ds max hasn't gotten a decent update in a while, that's how it all started for Softimage, all the attention is towards Maya, don't think they wont axe 3ds max. It may have a larger user base than Softimage but Maya's is the largest.

I still say they should have the decency to at least just sell the software to another developer, it would get bought real quick.

The only thing I can see that has been changed for Max is the fact there is no new 32bit versions coming out.

They should at least keep licensing alive, or add a patch that makes it a legal free version.

You guys aren't Autodesk subscribers, you're using student licenses which expire after 3 years, subs is how they do it now, there are no stand alone licenses unless you bought an old version back when they still did it. For the tons of people out there with a Softimage subscription they either have to cancel all Autodesk service to keep Softimage, mind you some people use other softwares from the pipeline so if they keep their subscription to keep other software from Autodesk they'll be forced to migrate.

If you guys are really interested in reading more about it though you should visit some Softimage user based forums.

Yes, I could get a student license of 2015 and use it forever once it's discontinued but do you really like having a company around that just buys and kills of software.

3ds max hasn't gotten a decent update in a while, that's how it all started for Softimage, all the attention is towards Maya, don't think they wont axe 3ds max. It may have a larger user base than Softimage but Maya's is the largest.

I still say they should have the decency to at least just sell the software to another developer, it would get bought real quick.

You're wrong. Only the FREE 3-yr license expires. Students can buy permanent, full-version licenses for the Autodesk suite for about $300... and the license is permanent. You can buy a permanent commercial license today and NOT buy a subscription to maintenance (and your limited support will expire after one year-- subscriptions are not required). If you do buy a subscription, your license will continue to work should you choose not to renew your subscription to updates and add-on features. Your license will be a permanent, indefinite (i.e., never-expiring) commercial license. I know... because I have a subscription for my 3ds Max commercial license.

The only thing I can see that has been changed for Max is the fact there is no new 32bit versions coming out.

They should at least keep licensing alive, or add a patch that makes it a legal free version.

In more current releases... it's just not practical to run 32-bit versions due to the ~4GB limitations. There have been some great improvements-- in recent versions: viewport canvas, iRay GPU renderer, etc.

This is just one example:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-Max-3ds-Max-Design-General/Limitations-of-32-bit-version-of-3ds-Max-9/td-p/4023167

Also, this may be of interest to 32-bit users running a 64-bit OS...

http://www.maketecheasier.com/increase-memory-limit-for-32-bit-applications-in-windows-64-bit-os/

Using fumeFX, pFlow, and other simple simulations... I've run into memory issues on my old 32-bit PC that had 3GB of RAM. I guess if you're only going to model game objects and low polygon characters... it wouldn't be an issue.

I refuse to ever support a company that plays monopoly and from what I've read it seems that every Softimage user right now is pretty much doing the same thing. Rather than take the migration offer they're just flat out cancelling all business with Autodesk and moving away from it, of course keeping 2015 indefinitely but using other software that may be needed to add into their pipelines.

Big F'in deal about 32bit support, calling that any kind of serious update to say 3ds max is like a slap in the face to the user, no one who is a serious professional and most hobbyists don't even use a 32bit OS because of it's serious limitations.

A 3d modeling class will only help a total virgin who has never messed around with a 3d program since you can't teach creativity.

EDIT: @@eezstreet, you posted just as I was typing but not entirely sure why you only just quoted my post.

@@eezstreet -- not sure what your point was...

My point was that many people on this site are students (and even if you are not a student-- you can go register for a class and...) ...qualify to buy several thousands worth of software for hundreds instead. The software isn't limited or watermarked... just can't be used for commercial purposes.

The student license isn't an option for me since I refuse to give them any of my money, Avid got it back in the day when they offered a Foundations version, glad I never gave a penny to Autodesk for anything.

If only Blenders interface wasn't so terrible since it has some ok tools but I guess you can't expect too much from something that is free.

@@eezstreet You can still get Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 from ModDB actually.

From what other Softimage users have told me about Lightwave is that it's way behind Softimage in terms of tools and functionality. I'll just get my hands on the 2015 version of Softimage and be done with it unless Autodesk quits being a little bitch and just releases Softimage to be sold off but they're probably too afraid of what kind of competition it would make since before Autodesk acquired Softimage it was leaps and bounds ahead of Maya and Max. ICE being the biggest reason and right behind it I would say the introduction of the gigapolygon core since at the time I still would dabble in Max I stress tested the 2 programs with models that had millions of polygons and 3ds max shit the bed at a few hundred thousand, I hear it's still just as laggy to this day when it comes to high poly scenes.

I hear Houdini was beginning to outclass Softimage though. If that's the case, Houdini might be the superior tool as opposed to 3DS Max and Maya. This could be due to the fact that they moved development to Singapore with a different team. Supposedly Softimage had the most powerful tech and most stable codebase of all 3, so I'm scratching my head a bit to figure out why they actually kept the least superior tools.

Like I have time to sign up for a 3D modelling class. You're talking to the guy with four projects in his signature.

I preferred the old days when Softimage XSI Mod Tool was a thing.

EDIT: nice read here, it's almost confirmed at this point they're going to discontinue 3DS Max as well: http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/09/autodesk-denies-intent-to-kill-off-3ds-max-softimage/

Every college I know of has a policy allowing you to drop/withdraw from a class...

...if Autodesk cancels 3ds Max, then I'll just use the latest version I have at that time.

Every college I know of has a policy allowing you to drop/withdraw from a class...

...if Autodesk cancels 3ds Max, then I'll just use the latest version I have at that time.

So I'm going to drop/withdraw classes in coding to pursue an artistic medium.

Yeah...uhm...

no.

Eh, a little off there if you do some more reading. Houdini is a great program when it comes to being able to do a lot of things ICE does but ICE was made to beat out Houdini in simulation and it does by making the workflow simplified. Houdini is what a lot of Softimage users are looking at in terms of when the time comes where they feel they may have to move away from Softimage since support will stop as well as updates and Houdini will continue to develop. The weak point of Houdini right now though seems to be the polygon modeling tools compared to Softimage.

ICE pretty much made Houdini obsolete when it came out in version 7.

EDIT: @@eezstreet, I thought you lost interest in learning Mod Tool though? Seemed like you wanted to learn Blender instead based on a post you made some time back.

Eh, a little off there if you do some more reading. Houdini is a great program when it comes to being able to do a lot of things ICE does but ICE was made to beat out Houdini in simulation and it does by making the workflow simplified. Houdini is what a lot of Softimage users are looking at in terms of when the time comes where they feel they may have to move away from Softimage since support will stop as well as updates and Houdini will continue to develop. The weak point of Houdini right now though seems to be the polygon modeling tools compared to Softimage.

ICE pretty much made Houdini obsolete when it came out in version 7.

EDIT: @@eezstreet, I thought you lost interest in learning Mod Tool though? Seemed like you wanted to learn Blender instead based on a post you made some time back.

I'm not really interested much in 3D modelling anymore. I figure it's only really useful as a last-ditch effort in case I can't get any sort of artist. But lately I haven't run into that issue.