HUMANOID SKEL NPC: Heavy Male Civilian

Are different eye & hair colors in your plans? Too bad the engine can't spawn with randomized-attributes for characters.

Actually it is possible to make so that an NPC would have a different colour in clothes and different skins every time you replay the level.

I'd love a face tutorial from you, those are awesome. :D

If you mean texture wise, then my approach is a mix of baking and painting.

I've done a lot of texturing with that approach:

http://www.bobotheseal.com/Skinning_mini-tutorial_01.htm

Where i'd bake down an AO from a low poly model and use dodge and burn to create the forms of the subject. Anatomy knowledge plays a key role here. The drawback to that method is the lack of color variation and since humans don't have weird alien patterns on their face it's difficult to use overlays and get away with it. Human skin has a ton of variation depending on the face area, age of subject, ethnicity etc. To fix that problem you introduce a color layer such as this:

http://www.pig-brain.com/tutorials/tut01-01/

Also you should never shade your skin with black, you get rid of that by coloring the AO (and never use black when painting), If you keep it black you get a weird looking dirty skin instead of a shaded skin color.

So basically what i'm doing is breaking down the whole thing into 3 steps (which can be applied to pretty much anything art related) shape (that's the modeling part) then forms (dodge n burn and AO) finally details: skin color, beard, veins, freckles, moles, zits whatever. I hope that made sense.

DT85 and Archangel35757 like this
  • 3 weeks later...

Simply outstanding work... It's amazing to see them in game. Your attention to detail is exquisite and it is really nice seeing how much can be maintained in the game engine.

Some of those variations are starting to remind me a bit of Merillion Tarko from Force Unleashed 2. It amuses me.

250px-Merillion_Tarko.png

Simply outstanding work... It's amazing to see them in game. Your attention to detail is exquisite and it is really nice seeing how much can be maintained in the game engine.

Some of those variations are starting to remind me a bit of Merillion Tarko from Force Unleashed 2. It amuses me.

I guess Merillion has been hanging out with Dexter Jetser a little too much.

• 8 months later...