Nar Shadda Texture Re-creation

DT85

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

@ I redid the whole thing from scratch, hand painted in photoshop. Break down the texture into 3 stages:

First stage: shapes (in this case rectangles and circles), easy, that's the stage where you set proportions and the layout.

Second stage: Forms, the most important part. The rectangles are not flat but beveled, so now they have depth, means they cast shadows and will also reflect light at the top. Since the light is coming from above, the top part of the details will be the lightest, starts getting darker as you reach the lower part. Once you have a convincing beveled ridge you can start adding subtle highlights to sharp angles, helps define the material as some type of metal.

Third stage: Details, overlay dirt (you could use grime textures or custom grime brushes) where it would most likely accumulate, because of the beveled details it would make little sense to have the splashy dirt fill in the crevices so i simply masked them out so the overlay would not appear in the cracks.

Texturing is a buildup process, not a one shot operation.

Bonus: never ever use pure black when shading, especially if the object is not black in color. Pure white is ok to use but only at the sharpest highlights, if you start painting every highlights pure white it won't look like specularity anymore.

Here's a breakdown similar to how i do it:

minitut_metal.jpg

swegmaster and minilogoguy18 like this
  • 9 months later...

it's a walkway? I thought it was a gate or door of sorts - that means i'll have to change a few things.
It'd be great if you could provide a ingame screenshot or describtion of how the texture is going to be used, as that changes the Environmental conditions it's set out to. A floor recieves a different knid of wear and dirt than a ceiling. Thick Rust like this would not accumulate on a frequently used walkway.

DT85 likes this