Star Wars Rebels

So I had heard a little about it before, but the first promos are starting to filter out There are two teaser trailers and some pictures available at this link.

But for those not wanting to follow the link, here's one of the trailers:

Despite the art style following the same non-realstic methods of Clone Wars, I'm excited by all the new content and imagining what it might inspire... A pumpkin colored R5, and the main character Ezra's interesting. Plus the goateed jedi in the slideshow that I have no clue about? I'm pretty interested to see where this goes.

Then again I was fascinated by the cyclops droids in Star Wars 1313 and now they'll never see the light of day, lol

The new series does have a mix of feels like Good Ol' Western + Original Trilogy + Anime/Disney Stuff. By Westerness I mean what people ask now from J.J.Abrams to show in Episode VII and later films, whilst it was indeed in Episode IV. The OT is clearly seen through images of the ships (TIE fighters, including the lately revealed Inquisitor's vehicle), the characters (Chopper looks more like old droids in OT, and Zeb is based on Chewbacca's early sketch), and general images are derived from McQuarrie's wonderful illustrations (a very good sign btw).

Anime/Disney stuff also has an appearance here, if we look on Ezra and Kanan - they are pictured in this manner or close to it. I've suddenly remembered Mulan animation, especially when seeing some pictures of late.

Looks like the rumor was true. They used the original McQuarrie concept for Chewbacca for a new species and character. Interesting.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/02/18/star-wars-rebels-exclusive-first-look-meet-zeb

While Disney is axing so much of the expanded universe (while also adding to it at the same time?), I'm really happy to see them go back to the source material and bring to live something that has such deep roots. Thanks for letting me know about that, makes me feel even more positive.

NumberWan and Circa like this

Well... The New York toy fair has revealed the merchandising behind Star Wars rebels and there are some INTENSELY interesting things coming up ahead. I absolutely am delighted to see these new innovations, wondering what might show up in Academy as a result.

Most of my resources are coming from this link covering the toy fair.

I find Ezra adorkable and his colors are refreshing, plus his 'accessory' is very evocative.

img0392jpg-536e2c_960w.jpg

Then of course Chopper, I always have a soft spot for droids... He could probably be a pretty easy re-skin.

img0383jpg-6cb102_960w.jpg

And of course for the weapon/hilt modelers, there's a pretty awesome double blade coming up:

img0276jpg-6cb108_960w.jpg

img0277jpg-6cb109_960w.jpg

Over all, I really like how much they went back to the original design options... I'm pumped.

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly, none of the material would reveal the name of the Inquisitor. He is referenced everywhere only as a man serving the Empire... All other characters were known almost from the start even before we saw how they look.

So I wonder, whether the name of the Inquisitor would remain unknown for some time in the series.

The more stuff they release, the more cartoony this looks. Disappointing.

Agreed. I think TCW did a better animating job--or at least one more preferable. BTW guys, watching season 6 is worth it! Best episode--in my opinion--is the investigation of Sifo-Dyas.

Anyone else think they should put IMPERIAL CAPTAIN REX in Star Wars Rebels!?

Also, can't stand their deformed Stormtroopers. They should pay @@DT85 for his Stormtrooper models.

Interestingly, none of the material would reveal the name of the Inquisitor. He is referenced everywhere only as a man serving the Empire... All other characters were known almost from the start even before we saw how they look.

So I wonder, whether the name of the Inquisitor would remain unknown for some time in the series.

There are many Inquisitors named on Wookiepedia so I'm sure he'll get named sometime. Maybe they'll save it for sweeps week! 

Its also possible that there may be some connection between him and one of the other characters or something and they are holding back on revealing too much of the story early on.

Agreed. I think TCW did a better animating job--or at least one more preferable. BTW guys, watching season 6 is worth it! Best episode--in my opinion--is the investigation of Sifo-Dyas.

Anyone else think they should put IMPERIAL CAPTAIN REX in Star Wars Rebels!?

Also, can't stand their deformed Stormtroopers. They should pay @@DT85 for his Stormtrooper models.

The clone troopers in TCW look more decent than the Stormtroopers in Rebels, so no idea why they borked their helmet so badly.

I just hope they at least show why Stormtroopers in ANH are so f***ing stupid compared to the Clones. :P

ZanderNao likes this
  • 2 weeks later...