Flynn's (Continuing) Problems

Go to solution Solved by Flynn,

Sorry to keep dumping my tech problems on all you guys, but here's another one:

I have a brand-spanking-new laptop running Windows 8.1 or 8. I'm perfectly happy with it, except for one thing: I can't run any programs I download.

Whenever I download a .exe from the Internet and try to run it from my downloads folder, it will give me some error message. A few of them:

• "This app cannot run on your PC"
  • "The setup files are corrupted"
  • "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect"

However, if I download the program on another computer, put it on a flash drive, and install it from there on my laptop, it will (usually) run fine, the one exception being flash player. Flash player will download and start to run, but after I authorize it to make changes, it will just do nothing. This is starting to get reaallly aggravating, so I would appreciate any input you guys had on this. And I promise once I get a Steam that I'll start trying to skin and actually submitting to here. Thanks!

It's apparently not just restricted to .exe either. I was trying to download some music yesterday, and the audio files got messed up somehow that there was random pops and glitches in the playback. I also downloaded the same music from bandcamp, which was zipped for some reason, and my version of 7-zip could not extract them. My guess is that something is messing the files up between the website and my laptop.

Make another Windows 8 Account (Local) and see if you get the same issues on this.

If you do, problem at the OS Level, I would suggest a factory recovery otherwise the length of time your going to spend fixing this it would take the same amount of time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Looks like it's fixed! The issue was not with SafeEyes, but rather with antiviruses. You see, I had Norton on my computer, but then Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender preinstalled. What our suspicion is is that every time Norton would run something, Defender would think it was a virus and try to stop it. The same would hold true if Defender tried to run something. I think a lot of my Internet issues anyway were the result of me not being able to install flash player. However, we think it is all fixed now, so thanks for your help!