(WIP) Hrakert Rift Station

Hi everyone! I've only been mapping for approximately 6 days but I've found such a deep passion for GTK Radiant that I desperately wanted to recreate the underwater base of Manaan from KOTOR. Please don't hesitate to give advice but explain it in a way a newbie can understand :P. Without further ado here are some pictures:

shot0030_zpsa27a1dc2.jpg

shot0029_zps04422c5c.jpg

shot0028_zps2870a84a.jpg

shot0024_zpseba8d224.jpg

shot0026_zps672df48f.jpg

shot0025_zpsc09bc8bc.jpg

shot0027_zpsbb3835bf.jpg

Note: The X-Wings are being used as a size reference for the submarine (not sure how I'm going to get a hold of that) and so far I have only the main room done. I plan to do more on the facility on the weekend when I install KOTOR on my other laptop. Its a pity I can't get the KOTOR textures but I feel these base textures are as close as I can get at the moment.

Thanks for your interest!

Six... days?! I assume you've had experience mapping in other programs because your grasp is excellent. The textures aren't over-repeated, there's really good detailing to keep anything from being blocky or redundant. The support beams and pool placement was so perfect that I could have sworn at first glance it WAS Kotor and not JA. Please, PLEASE keep up the amazing work and I need to keep my eye on you, you're a rising star!

NumberWan and Jeff like this

Thank you so much for the high praise jchapman1984! I can assure you I've had no experience before hand, I'm just real OCD when it comes to lining everything up and scaling it.

I think everyone has their own talents... and I know I can write well and make movies okay, but when I opened some of the mapping programs I couldn't manage to do a single thing. It boggled my mind. Perhaps your OCD is a blessing in this case because you're using it well. I look forward with great anticipation to see where this goes.

Thank you so much Circa, I was looking everywhere for those!

Progress is going well, the doorway and the second room adjacent are nearing completion, will post screens when done. I looked ahead at the next part that needs to be made, and its a hallway with glass windows giving a view out to the ocean floor. Is there a way to get hold of the images used so I can turn it into a skybox?

Circa likes this

I'm going to say words, but don't get offended. I just mean to help.

The light textures on those (crates?) look pretty stretched. Aside from that, it look like you are using white lights to produce "illumination" from them. I notice only one stack appears to have light entities close to it. Perhaps you'd be happier with using shaderlighting for those surfaces. 

Probably a WIP type thing, but i notice some light silhouettes without apparent sources.

The black and blue pipes going over that room appear sort of float-y structurally speaking. Considering placing a support that clamps both pipes in their center and then ties into a roof support. Flushes out the detail a bit better.

All in all, I'd say you are doing pretty well. Look into using some q3map_surfaceLight shaders to produce some of lighting. If I remember right, that level was pretty low lit and had very cool colors. surfaceLight shaders will help a lot with that feel. 

Indeed it did! I was hearing about projecting light from objects and wanted to do that but couldn't find a tutorial, care to link me? Not entirely sure what you mean by the floating pipes but if you're referring to the last pics/area that is so heavily WIP its not even funny :P. Thank you very much for your criticism! It helps me recognise things I haven't noticed.

@@Szico VII, that's just the rift fog over the entire map as you've probably noticed. I needed it for the murky underwater feel that was pretty hard to create with lighting as changing the entities to blue just looked garish and unrealistic.