Patch textures and a question about trigger_hurt

First, does anybody know how to solve this zig-zag texturing problem with patch maeshes?

patch_Texture_Zigzag.jpg

Also is it possible to set an angle for a trigger_hurt so it only does damage when passing through it one way? I have a setup where if the player falls on some spikes, they die but they can touch them/ run around them on the ground without getting hurt. 

Also is it possible to set an angle for a trigger_hurt so it only does damage when passing through it one way? I have a setup where if the player falls on some spikes, they die but they can touch them/ run around them on the ground without getting hurt. 

This may sound dumb, but have you considered putting the trigger_hurt brush just around the top of the spike? So the only way that someone *could* touch it would be if they fell?

This may sound dumb, but have you considered putting the trigger_hurt brush just around the top of the spike? So the only way that someone *could* touch it would be if they fell?

I suppose I could try this. I was originally using a big hurt trigger several units above the entire bed of spikes so it would kill someone when they fell through it but because its a relatively small map, someone could jump over the spikes and still die midair. does the hurt trigger work by touch or being inside it? if it is touch activated then I could - as you suggested - put it just on the tips of the spikes (except for the outermost ring to avoid accidental death)

therfiles likes this

Texturing curves are a little tricky sometimes.  A couple things to note that might help.

If you select a curve and click "v" to enter vertex editing mode, you can click a vertex then use shift + arrows or ctrl + arrows to adjust the texture from the vertex selected instead of it adjusting the entire texture having the curve selected.  I don't know if that will work for you but you can look into it to see if you can achieve the fix you are looking for.

You could try using a clip brush under or around the sides of the trigger_hurt to keep from contacting the hurt from the sides and from the ground.

therfiles, PK_Azlon and eezstreet like this

Thanks, but I think I figured out the problem and it may be unsovable for the time being. The game engine can't handle smoothly stretching the texture as the patch widens so it creates zig-zags to approximate the stretch. The only way around it (that I can think of) would be to make a uv mapped MD3 of the roof but I use lightwave and there is no longer an md3 import/export plugin for the version I am using and I have not yet learned 3DS Max, nor can I find the md3 plugins for the version I have (3ds Max R9)

There is one other thing that involves a little patch texture editing trick but I don't know it will fix the problem.

Make a new brush in the size and shape you want the patch to be.  (you will basically be remaking the patch).

Copy the brush, deselect the brush and paste the copied brush (or just paste the copied brush both ways work in 1.6)

With the pasted brush still selected...delete it.  Now select the brush you made again and turn it into a patch.  (note, before turning it into a patch make sure the texture you want is selected in the texture window).

This trick helps a little texturing patches to match them with the grid.  It might help here but I wouldn't know for sure unless I took a look at it myself.  I have had a few difficulties with patch textures in 1.6 that work a little better with the old 1.4 version of radiant.  That might help or it might not.