AI Improvements

I think this can do working around icarus function of BS_FOLLOW_LEADER and SET_LEADER for the enemies. :)

I try that in some mod with a boss swordmaster covered by 4 NPC, 2 shooter and 2 with saber. it works very fine. the boss get the attack and the other npc shoots if you are close to they or they follow bosses covering and defending him. :)

Maksman and T.Zealot like this

^ I wholeheartedly agree. Single NPCs should try to "sound the alarm" (like in JO doomgiver missions... to call for reinforcements)-- when "alarm" panic buttons are nearby (...but not end the mission like was done in JO -- give player ability to "reset" alarm after dealing with troopers). Multiple NPCs should use military squad tactics to provide suppression/cover fire to allow other NPCs to maneuver against player. They should all seek to fire & maneuver using available cover.

A lot of this stuff is already in the game... if you play on the lower difficulties or on JA, of course you're not going to see this behavior.

The only thing they don't do is use cover efficiently, but that could be changed with new map nodes. Even then, the benefit is going to be minimal. The map design doesn't really support cover-based shooting. Just running through kejim_base in my head, I can't even think of a single instance where the cover could be optimized.

I mean, aside from a few minor gimmicks, there's not much that can be done to make the AI that much better, other than stuff which people would complain about.

A lot of this stuff is already in the game... if you play on the lower difficulties or on JA, of course you're not going to see this behavior.

The only thing they don't do is use cover efficiently, but that could be changed with new map nodes. Even then, the benefit is going to be minimal. The map design doesn't really support cover-based shooting. Just running through kejim_base in my head, I can't even think of a single instance where the cover could be optimized.

I mean, aside from a few minor gimmicks, there's not much that can be done to make the AI that much better, other than stuff which people would complain about.

Perhaps more strategic placement of containers...

Asgarath83 likes this
  • 1 year later...

on JKA, interacting with ambient is the key for strategic covers: containers, hideouts, walls, trims, grids, grates, gates, bars can offer a good repair for NPC. also a nice placement into wall angles or little opens into the walls toward npc can shoot with free fov and aim can be helpful. Also, Npc placed on roofs or on down levels are strategically advantaged to shoot player.

there is also the target_shooter entity that can help to improve the combat, scripting this entity the fire can come from strategic point. player can get illusion that NPC covered attack him, but in reality is target_shooter entity that do that. you can give an example of that on t1_fatal mission: there is a target_shooter entity near two saboteurs, that launch a thermal detonator, if you follow the path on the left of the door of main building with the 2 bombs inside to deactivate.

also triggerable pulsing flickering force field should with stormtrooper placed behind it, can be an idea. Player can attack only when enemies expose to shoot him. like assassin_droid.

also, is possible to use SET_ARMOR and SET_HEALTH on icarus to give enemies custom armor and health values. pretty useful for shooters. a shooter with SET_ARMOR 1000, is a nice opponent and can be fast defeated only with lightsaber or force using.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Experimenting with NPCs in the maps, I always felt it's too bad, that once the enemies spot you, they would most likely keep you as the main enemy even if provoked by other NPCs. I would definitely prefer the enemies to run and explore the area more often, and not just via scripts or additional commands.

When the enemies spot you, 99% they won't stop looking for you. Too bad, it would be nice to trick them like escaping and hiding in a shadow place – like in Deux Ex of 2000. In fact NPCs in JA won't see you if it's too dark unless you use your weapons.

It also seems unfair, that whenever we pull away their weapons, stormtroopers would never try to attack us again unless they find a blaster somewhere. Using fists here is a reasonable option, it seems, like it was done in MOTS. on the other hand, who would try such attacks against a guy with a Lightsaber?

I know why the A.I. don't use Force Repulse.. i looked in to the code itself of JA:E and surprise... THERE IS NOT SINGLE LINE of code for the A.I. the use Force Repulse in single player! Who make the code in CPP forgot about this.. too bad, i maded alot of modifications for JA:E.. even the animation for Force Repulse.

6 hours ago, Xeby said:

I know why the A.I. don't use Force Repulse.. i looked in to the code itself of JA:E and surprise... THERE IS NOT SINGLE LINE of code for the A.I. the use Force Repulse in single player! Who make the code in CPP forgot about this.. too bad, i maded alot of modifications for JA:E.. even the animation for Force Repulse.

Care to share? This is a community project after all.

• 1 month later...