Mapping assistance forum?

modding is not mapping.  If I want to look at others mapping ideas or others needing assistance with their map, I would like to see them under one roof in a mapping section and not have to sift through models, and other mods in the modding section.

But mapping is modding, and a lot of the core stuff that goes into making maps is also applicable in other areas. There's also such a very small amount of mapping that goes on (in the grand scheme of things) that it really wouldn't be that worthwhile to pursue (at least imo)

There being a small amount of mapping assistance it makes it hard to find within all of the modding assistance section.

There needs to be a mapping assistance section within the modding section.  Modding assistance and a mapping assistance section.

I am a mapper not a "modder".  A map is not a mod, it's a map.

It would make it easier to find people needing assistance making their map.  It would make it easier to find solutions for map making.  I look through all the modding assistance section and it's hard to find mapping assistance stuff.  Separate the 2 please.  Don't argue eez :P, are a modder judging from the files you have hosted on JKHub.  You don't need a mapping assistance section.  Us mappers do and I would like to see it implemented.

thank you

Oh, you're right, I don't have any use at all for that sort of thing. I'm just a silly 'modder', what do I know? Your abject statements are quite correct. I shouldn't have argued with you, oh wise master of the universe. I wasn't aware that CTRL+F doesn't exist. Fuck that CTRL+F feature on every browser in existence. It's so stupid anyway.

/sarcasm

How about instead of attacking my credibility (on no tangible basis I might add), you provide actual reasons for why this thing should be implemented. All you've provided thus far is "it needs to happen." On the other hand, if a 'map' or 'scripts' or 'models' or whatever tag gets added to the Modding Assistance forum, it would serve the same purpose and not separate the forum even further. Or..you could use ctrl+f and search for 'radiant' or 'gtk' or 'maps' or 'mapping' or any other key words.

I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind the request, personally. Mapping is just another facet as modding: you need to edit the PK3s/the game's files, and, in essence, you are still modifying the game. So I'm not sure I get where you are coming from. Also, we've had tons of users already post mapping-related problems and questions in that subforum, and there has never been any problems.

Maybe if some other mappers want it, but I don't think it makes much sense.

eezstreet likes this

I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind the request, personally. Mapping is just another facet as modding: you need to edit the PK3s/the game's files, and, in essence, you are still modifying the game. So I'm not sure I get where you are coming from. Also, we've had tons of users already post mapping-related problems and questions in that subforum, and there has never been any problems.

Maybe if some other mappers want it, but I don't think it makes much sense.

I am not modifying game files by making a map.  I am creating a pk3.  I am creating a map that does not modify the game.  It is a custom map built for JK series not a mod that changes anything in the game.

Tons of users have posted mapping related problems in the modding section because a mapping section does not exist that is why I am asking for a mapping section to exist.  You can put it in the modding section on the forums if you want just in a different category.

Just add the option to places tags on topics created in Modding Assistance. Then make that subforum filterable by tags. Like eezstreet said.

lil_binger. You are creating a custom bsp that is not a shipped resource for the game. You are then loading that level into the game presumably. Inserting a custom resource into a game = modding. Quit arguing terminology to justify a redundant subforum. 

eezstreet and therfiles like this

If maps aren't mods, then models aren't either, according to your logic. Or any file that doesn't "alter" the original game like a skin of a non-game model.

I think we're a bit hung up on specifics here. Maps are mods. That's the generic, accepted name for all these files that need the game to use and play. That's how it's always been.

With that said, perhaps if more mappers here came to agree with you, we will consider it.

I'll summon some mappers for you to see what they think.

@@IrocJeff @@DT85 @@MoonDog @@Szico VII @@ChalklYne 

therfiles likes this

I am not modifying game files by making a map.  I am creating a pk3.  I am creating a map that does not modify the game.  It is a custom map built for JK series not a mod that changes anything in the game.

Tons of users have posted mapping related problems in the modding section because a mapping section does not exist that is why I am asking for a mapping section to exist.  You can put it in the modding section on the forums if you want just in a different category.

What if you're making a map that replaces a base game map? (is possible.)

I don't understand how the specific terminology affects anything to do with the forum itself...

Models can be mods if you are replacing something in the game with it (you are modifying something in the game making a model to overwrite what is already there).  The model itself is not a mod if it's not modifying the game (such as a model created to be used in a custom map that doesn't exist in the supplied JA/JO assets adn doesn't overwrite anything in the JK assets).

I am not asking to create a whole new forum.  I am asking for a mapping section withing the modding section.  That's a win win for everyone.  It's still in the modding section for those of you who consider it a mod and it's in a mapping section so others may locate it more easily.

Models can be mods if you are replacing something in the game with it (you are modifying something in the game making a model to overwrite what is already there).  The model itself is not a mod if it's not modifying the game (such as a model created to be used in a custom map that doesn't exist in the supplied JA/JO assets adn doesn't overwrite anything in the JK assets).

I am not asking to create a whole new forum.  I am asking for a mapping section withing the modding section.  That's a win win for everyone.  It's still in the modding section for those of you who consider it a mod and it's in a mapping section so others may locate it more easily.

lil_binger. You are creating a custom bsp that is not a shipped resource for the game. You are then loading that level into the game presumably. Inserting a custom resource into a game = modding. Quit arguing terminology to justify a redundant subforum. 

If maps aren't mods, then models aren't either, according to your logic. Or any file that doesn't "alter" the original game like a skin of a non-game model.

I think we're a bit hung up on specifics here. Maps are mods. That's the generic, accepted name for all these files that need the game to use and play. That's how it's always been.

With that said, perhaps if more mappers here came to agree with you, we will consider it.

I'll summon some mappers for you to see what they think.

@@IrocJeff @@DT85 @@MoonDog @@Szico VII @@ChalklYne 

Personally, I can see where lil_binger is coming from but it really comes what your definition of modding is. When I first got here, I had to read through the forum posts because I didn't know where mapping went, either. I assumed it was in modding assistance but I had to look because mapping to me really isn't modding. I don't look at what I have done and say I've mad a mod, I'm just making levels. I always thought mods were more like total conversions where you take the game and turn it into something else that is different. 

Maybe all that has to be done is add the word mapping or level editing in the modding assistance description and it'll help people out more. 

Sturg29 and therfiles like this

Maps can be mods if you are replacing something in the game with it (you are modifying something in the game making a map to overwrite what is already there). The map itself is not a mod if it's not modifying the game (such as a map created [...] that doesn't exist in the supplied JA/JO assets adn doesn't overwrite anything in the JK assets).

Quoted for emphasis (with my own twist).

I have a request about JKHub having a mapping section separate from the modding assistance section and it gets turned into a debate about what a mod is,

I simply think JKHub should have a mapping assistance forum somewhere.  I don't care where it is put.  I don't care if people think it's a mod or isn't.  I think a separate mapping section is needed for those needing assistance with mapping.  This will help keep mapping questions separate from other modding questions.  If I was primarily a model maker maybe I would ask for a modeling assistance help etc.  I make maps and would like to see a mapping section separate from modding assistance which I think JKHub needs.

I have a request about JKHub having a mapping section separate from the modding assistance section and it gets turned into a debate about what a mod is,

Your entire argument for split section is based on the premise that mapping is not modding. So I'm not sure why you are acting like we brought it up and started debating it. You are the only person on the other side of that issue. Because your notion is preposterous.

I simply think JKHub should have a mapping assistance forum somewhere.  I don't care where it is put.  I don't care if people think it's a mod or isn't.  I think a separate mapping section is needed for those needing assistance with mapping.  This will help keep mapping questions separate from other modding questions.  If I was primarily a model maker maybe I would ask for a modeling assistance help etc.  I make maps and would like to see a mapping section separate from modding assistance which I think JKHub needs.

Are you pretty much overlooking the several places above where a much better tag and filter system would be prefered? Part 2 to this question, are you related to Lord Revian/Marcus?

eezstreet and Circa like this

We appreciate your request, but it seems like you're alone here. I added new tags to the modding assistance forum. Now new threads can be tagged with map, model, skin, script, etc.

There's no need to bring this argument to an uproar about something so silly and subjective. Honestly, I'd say the majority of threads in that sub-forum are mapping related. And you can usually tell by the titles. Perhaps if activity in that forum rises above comprehension and needs to be pruned, we will look into separating it into individual threads. For now, I don't think it's necessary.

eezstreet, therfiles and Morabis like this

Maybe something could be done to the description?

"Looking for assistance in getting your mod to work properly? This is where you can ask for help. Please do not use this subforum if you are having trouble installing a mod, or need help fixing your game."

If it had some keywords it could at least lessen any confusion for new members. I used to post shader in the coding section and was unsure if mapping threads belonged in the modding section, myself.

The tags seem like a good idea to me. Do the moderators plan to add tags to (upcoming and recent) posts with missing tags?

therfiles, eezstreet and IrocJeff like this