Extended Modding Capabilities

This thread will outline the modding capabilities which have been extended from base JK2.

• Can now use PNG files for images
  • Can now use GLMs for viewmodels (complete with animations)
  • Changed the file format for the weapons.dat. It is now located in ext_data/weapons/ (default.json is the default). You can change which one to use via g_weaponFile.
  • Weapons are scripted using Angelscript. The game will load these scripts from scripts/as/*.as. For more information, see this thread and this thread.
  • You can now use modded gamecores. The game will search for DLLs in fs_game folder, then base, then gamedata folder. It is not compatible with the original gamecore. You must adhere to the terms of the GPL when making a new gamecore.
therfiles likes this

Nope. JKA added support for those.

Ahh, but aren't I right in saying they didn't quite work properly? As I recall, there was an error for them, but Ensi posted an update saying that all of these errors had been fixed, or something along those lines.

Do note - non power of two textures is limited by hardware. Older graphics cards from like ~2005 won't really support non power of two textures.

I don't know if that is exactly the case. I used to map for Elite Force (also idTech3 based game) and despite their size, I never had any issues loading them and I've mapped on various 3Dfx Voodoo and older Geforce cards (e.g: Geforce 256) . . .

Signature.jpg

I don't know if that is exactly the case. I used to map for Elite Force (also idTech3 based game) and despite their size, I never had any issues loading them and I've mapped on various 3Dfx Voodoo and older Geforce cards (e.g: Geforce 256) . . .

Elite Force was also by Raven Software, and like JK2 and JKA, it also required power-of-two textures.

Elite Force was also by Raven Software, and like JK2 and JKA, it also required power-of-two textures.

Not my experience. I could use images sized 715x309 or 570x288. With JA & JO, they always have to 128, 256, 512 or 1024 in any direction. Anything in between (such as 384) simply doesn't work . . .

Signature.jpg

Not my experience. I could use images sized 715x309 or 570x288. With JA & JO, they always have to 128, 256, 512 or 1024 in any direction. Anything in between (such as 384) simply doesn't work . . .

That's strange. O_o Are you sure you're not referring to Elite Forces 2?