Tenloss DXR-6 Disruptor rifle

This nefarious weapon affects matter at the molecular level, ripping apart living material with ease.  
Because of the weapon's inhumane nature, the DXR-6 is outlawed throughout the galaxy and is generally only used by scattered droid and Remnant forces.

qvadCka.png

AQDe5tn.png

I will be increasing the amount of detail based on the textures of the model, normal maps are also a possibility with inclusion of Rend2 support in JK2 HD

Maksman, Omicron, Circa and 4 others like this

Any wires & triangle/vertex count? :D

I take it this is the world model yeah?

No, not yet as I haven't even come close to where I want this in terms of detail. But at the moment unoptimized it's sitting at 594 Verts and 1099 Tris

World model will probably be about the same as the view model in terms of detail with LoDs being a lot less intense (this is the route we took in JKG)

But this is neither the world nor the viewmodel because it's going to look quite different from this in the end :P

Also @@DT85 I wanted to ask you about those hands you made for the first person melee animations in DF2Mod, Do you think you could make some gloved versions for JK2:HD?

Also, are they rigged? I'd like to make some pretty extensive first person animations for these (possibly idle animations)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Ohai, so I heard people like updates, even if the amount of work is not equal to the amount of time it has been since the last one.

qibdG1Y.png

I decided I should finish this guy up, don't think I'm going to leave the Jedi Academy modding scene any time soon (even if I am absent most of the time), nor without some decent contributions to the general public.

Current (unoptimized) Tri and Vertex count: 2425Tris 1672Verts

Onysfx, Raz0r, Maksman and 3 others like this

texture those ridges at the front of the gun on instead of modeling them

Nah.

FtKe58g.jpg

"proof of concept", textureless, uvless import of the model to make sure I can actually get it working through blender (had a lot of trouble with both import and export in blender)

Maksman likes this

24RuszI.jpg

gNHdJlR.jpg

First (non-textured) iteration, some texture stretching I'm aware of on the UV Map that will be fixed. Temporary reflective shader borrowed from Jedi Knight Galaxies (credit to BlasTech)

Might also be scaled up a bit too high, depends on what source you go to really.

Triangle/Vertex Count: 2240 Tri | 1434 Vert

Maksman likes this

That's way too high a poly count for such a small object on screen. We may all be using much newer machines than 10 years ago but the engine still can be strained when all the models have been increased in such a way. You should look more at Ashura's workflow, you can achieve the look of your detail but with the fraction of the polygons.

Especially if you consider a small battalion of stormtroopers all on screen at once and the weapons they're carrying are all in the 2.5-3k triangle range, the game will lag even with a good CPU.

I would use that as the viewmodel, and make a lower poly version for the world model.

EDIT:

Is that the base JKA animation? It looks pretty bad lol (animation, not the gun). :P

@@minilogoguy18 @@DT85 I'm still planning on using LoD models, because it's such a small object it will very quickly swap to a lower poly model (the game actually swaps LoD models based on how many pixels an object is taking up on screen, kind of awkward for very small objects i.e. Seeker Drone from JKG as sometimes it can be very noticeable when it swaps). It will only render that high amount of triangles when you're very close.

I also don't recall anywhere in the game where there's more than 3 enemies using disruptor at once (jk2) and they're all very far away typically

and yeah, those are Base animations, no idea if there's any custom animations available as I've been out of the loop for a while :P

not even modern games are that high for a weapon.

That's untrue for new games, but true for source engine games such as HL2. Weapons for new games usually exceed the poly's on this gun. However as was already mentioned, JKA will grind to a crawl if too many poly's are drawn at once. This is due to everything being done on the CPU, from what I've read.

I don't think you'd have too much issue if you make sure everything has LODs. :)

I also have no intention of modifying the original design beyond some minor detail changes I've already made, it's just too cool of a design to change.

Haven't had time to work on this between work and packing my stuff to move into an apartment (getting my own place with a couple roommates), will try to work more on it after work

yeyo JK likes this