KOTF "Experiences"

• 9 months later...

I had KOTF before I decided to download a mod by itself. I found KOTF to be extremely convenient.....too convenient. I enjoyed KOTF because I made a lot of little "Films" in kotf, it introduced a lot for me though now I do not use it and kinda hate the "creator" for immaturely canceling 3.0, after several years of waiting. 

GPChannel and Darth Sion like this
  • 4 months later...

did he stole all the maps i have not been able to find some of the maps he released in the mod like the endor map nor hoth that are the ones i can come up with at the moment i remember enjoying a lot of the features he realeased too bad he stole so much though 

• 1 year later...

Okay, I hate to revive this forum as I know KOTF should stay dead, but I think this is something that could add to the numerous amounts of dirt Tim has on him. Back when I still visited the KOTF website, there was an exclusive download called "NO CD". It's basically modified JAMP and JASP Exe files that make the game run WITHOUT having disk one in your CD-Drive. I still have it and I have to ask everyone including @@eezstreet and @@therfiles: Is modifying the exe files in the game to run without the CD illegal...?

...why would you even use that when OpenJK literally provides this functionality.

I haven't even USED that for a while actually, Eez. I was asking you and theR because it was originally from Tim's website and I was asking if modifying the exe files, among other things that Tim did, is illegal. BTW thanks for letting me know that about OpenJK. I didn't know you could play it without the disk.

Well, you can understand why I wanted to ask you guys anyways just to be safe.

To be honest, years ago when I used to have disc copies of both Jedi Outcast and Academy (this was before Steam came out, mind you.. Or certainly before Steam "rose to power"). But once I installed the game discs' data and updated to the latest version, I used to go to www.gamecopyworld.com and downloaded "No-CD" patches to run the games. I used to do that a lot, for my PC games back in the day. That was before Steam became a thing, like it is today. But in the UK (or dare I even say Europe), piracy and such isn't really looked at, so dimly. Well, it is to a degree. But it's not monitored or anything like it is in the US. To be perfectly honest (unless you're absolute saint), I think everyone's done and maybe still does a bit of illegal downloading. Otherwise, you wouldn't still have sites like thepiratebay, running.. Not to mention the numerous torrent programs like uTorrent and BitComet. etc.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

To be honest, years ago when I used to have disc copies of both Jedi Outcast and Academy (this was before Steam came out, mind you.. Or certainly before Steam "rose to power"). But once I installed the game discs' data and updated to the latest version, I used to go to www.gamecopyworld.com and downloaded "No-CD" patches to run the games. I used to do that a lot, for my PC games back in the day. That was before Steam became a thing, like it is today. But in the UK (or dare I even say Europe), piracy and such isn't really looked at, so dimly. Well, it is to a degree. But it's not monitored or anything like it is in the US. To be perfectly honest (unless you're absolute saint), I think everyone's done and maybe still does a bit of illegal downloading. Otherwise, you wouldn't still have sites like thepiratebay, running.. Not to mention the numerous torrent programs like uTorrent and BitComet. etc.

Thanks for explaining that, Sion. I literally had NO IDEA people did that before Steam. I still have the disk versions of JKO and JKA (90's kids FTW), but I cannot deny playing the game without the disks feels good. That way, I can play the game without worrying about the disk getting scratched and stuff.

Oh boy, you don't know how much I hate this mod nowadays (that's why I use K**F instead of the regular spelling).

You know, it was fun to see how the mod started. I freaked out when the first part was released, because it was a different mod that offered tons stuff you didn't see in any other

mod. In fact, I really enjoyed playing K**F and using its menus, especially the Add/Load menu. It was the time when I didn't care about playing Jedi Academy the normal way anymore. It was all about

exploring and doing things you can't do with the unmodded game. K**F turned Jedi Academy into a sandbox game for me.

You wanna know what really killed that mod for me? In 2012 and early 2013, I was one of the German translators. Every translator of all the languages this mod supported had one goal: Finishing the translation so Tim can release the full mod.

And when we were about to finish the translations, Tim announced the cancellation of "KotF 3.0" and that he deleted his mod. Everybody thought that he was joking, but he was very serious about it. The whole translation-thing was for nothing.

It was as if he was luring you with something you want and instead of giving it to you, he flushed it down the toilet right in front of you. It felt like "Yeah, you want that mod? You really want it? You really WANT IT!? Guess what, you don't get it! So go f*ck yourself!". 

Oh boy, you don't know how much I hate this mod nowadays (that's why I use K**F instead of the regular spelling).

You know, it was fun to see how the mod started. I freaked out when the first part was released, because it was a different mod that offered tons stuff you didn't see in any other

mod. In fact, I really enjoyed playing K**F and using its menus, especially the Add/Load menu. It was the time when I didn't care about playing Jedi Academy the normal way anymore. It was all about

exploring and doing things you can't do with the unmodded game. K**F turned Jedi Academy into a sandbox game for me.

You wanna know what really killed that mod for me? In 2012 and early 2013, I was one of the German translators. Every translator of all the languages this mod supported had one goal: Finishing the translation so Tim can release the full mod.

And when we were about to finish the translations, Tim announced the cancellation of "KotF 3.0" and that he deleted his mod. Everybody thought it he was joking, but he was very serious about it. The whole translation-thing was for nothing.

It felt like "Yeah, you want that mod? You really want it? You really WANT IT!? Guess what, you don't get it! So go f*ck yourself!".

Oh man....I can IMAGINE the anger you felt at Tim. But at the same time, when you found out about how much K**F "<-You're welcome BTW" was actually quite the violation of many laws and rules established by the community, that's when you started to wake up. As I've said in the beginning, I once used K**F too for JKA Fan Fictions (I Might go back to that, but upload it to Zippcast exclusively since Youtube is going to s***) as it was the only mod with the tools for many people to do so for a while. Nowadays, with thanks also to theRfiles who made a similar camera mod to K**F, along with button binds and other mods, you can do the same thing you could do as with K**F.

I guess the best we can all do from this is take what we've learned from this mod and do our best to prevent a "K**F II* from happening.

Lancelot likes this

@

Actually, I was rather disappointed than angry. I really had high hopes for this mod, because it seemed to be so close for a release. But according to him, this project was very time consuming for him

and it ruined his life, because he couldn't get the mod the way he wanted. He cancelled this mod right after the source code was released, which would have delayed the mod again.

I can understand if he really had personal problems because of this, I don't want to judge him for that. This is something that all of us could happen.

And here's the part I'm angry about: He missed an opportunity (or many if you ask me). After all the years he spent on it, he should have just released what he already made, even if it was still flawed as hell.

Maybe somebody else might have modded or coded the shit out of that mod to give us a better experience. He should have proven that he can more than just delaying a mod, that he is able to keep deadline.

But instead, he will be always known as the one who made a mod everybody wanted but nobody got.

@@Lancelot I see. Of course, if there ever came a time where someone got what was finished by Tim in the future, he, she or they have A LOT of work to do, which includes crediting everyone's work that Tim used. Of course, even then, there will be A LOT of cleaning up to do in the community if he, she or they would even get one download of the mod.